PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I was thinking tonight of my elderly Mother's obsessive routine afore she goes to bed every night of disconnecting the TV mains supply and aerial due to a long held belief that should a thunderstorm pass overhead her house will end up in flames!
She does this every night without fail despite her frailty and myself and my sisters telling her it isn't necessary. This got me thinking about pipes left smouldering in ashtrays or dedicated pipe holders as I use.
Is there any evidence that any domestic conflagration has been attributed to a pipe left smouldering?
Hopefully the forum forensic fire expert Tim aka Ashdigger might have something to offer here.
I'm just curious.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have left pipes smoldering in my car's ash tray or drink holder, and so far so good. Sometimes in a metal ashtray sitting on a marble counter, (very little flammable material around) Probably should do neither.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
Seems to be it's only common sense to never leave any sort of flame or ember unattended.

panamacharlie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 13, 2016
A lit pipe, especially one not being puffed, could never reach a temp to cause it to burst into flames.I have set a pipe down thousands of times, the ember always goes out.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Jay, I read somewhere in the pipe smokers ephemera volume 1 (old stuff and based on memory) that someone did a “home” experiment years ago wherein the individual placed briar in a fire and recorded its burning characteristics. It apparently burns like coal. So no spittle and no shooting of embers. So the risk of open fire due to transfer of hot ash is minimal. I think the pipe just smoldered hot and probably a low risk of fire. Just my 2 cents.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
https://elkodaily.com/news/local/tobacco-pipe-ash-starts-house-fire/article_6d212780-a0bd-11e2-a340-001a4bcf887a.html

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not caused by setting a pipe down in a reasonable place.
ELKO — A fire caused extensive damage to the front of a home on Freeport Avenue Sunday night after a resident discarded his tobacco pipe ashes near bushes in front of his house, said Fire Chief Matt Griego.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
"...after a resident discarded his tobacco pipe ashes near bushes in front of his house..."
Probably one of those "fine white ash" liars.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
One standard fire hazard of smoking materials is when "live" ash, like a small bit of lit leaf, gets dusted off the cigarette or cigar, or out of a pipe, and onto flammable materials. This can go down onto or into upholstery, for example, and smolder for an hour or two, or longer, until it finally bursts into flame. Another scenario is emptying ash or spent matches into a wastebasket full of paper or plastic bags and igniting the flammables. A crockery match cup helps give them an inert station where they can burn out. A fire extinguisher, a spray can or full-dress tank extinguisher is a good idea in smoking areas. When you light a pipe and the bits of ember jump up and out of the pipe, it's wise to track them down and rub them out, even if they look spent. You don't have to be a fanatic, just do due diligence. If your smoking area is in the garage, always keep in mind the fumes that can be emitted by vehicles. Gasoline drifts low to the floor and will ignite on any spark.

Status
Not open for further replies.