PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hooboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
I just had my yearly physical and one of the questions on the paperwork was "Are you a smoker?"

I wrote yes and qualified it by penciling in .. a pipe and a cigar occasionally .

when I read the summary of the physical exam I saw that I was listed the same as if I smoked cigarettes .

when I questioned this I found out this is the norm!

The quandary is should I have answered 'No" which is false and I would hesitate to do this, as I believe most would or the way I did and pay the penalty of higher insurance rate which a friend did when applying for a life policy. It seems that there should be another box on the form for brothers of the briar.

my question is, is there ANY other way to handle this? probably not, but still a 'quandary"

thanks

hoo

I am weary of the truthfulness of open responses to this on a public forum.

My guess is that some men will say that they list themselves as non-smokers, because this extra cost is to subset the extra expense of treating a cigarette smoker after they've destroyed their bodies, which doesn't apply to pipe and cigar guys. Nor, having to change dosage of anesthesia for a cigarette smoker, etc...

Or, they will say that they answer yes, because they follow all rules verbatim.
Me, well, that's between me and the doctor.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
It depends on how you feel about lying, particularly to your doctor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viK121c8iZI

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Hoo,

One of my businesses is Life and Health Insurance. You have to be incredibly careful what you tell physicians now- it will end up as part of your medical history- one example, I mentioned to a doc during a physical several years ago that I was on a racing kayak a couple of miles out in the Gulf and had to be rescued after losing it in heavy seas- that ended up in my medical record! They are asking more and more lifestyle realted questions like use of bicycle helmets, drinking habits, smoking, and they all will show up in your medical records. If you smoke the occasional cigar or pipe, there are some companies that won't penalize you on life or health insurance.They will usually consider someone who smokes 1-4 cigars a month as a non-smoker. You definitely don't want nicotine in your blood if you are applying for a fully underwritten policy. It normally takes a week for nicotine to clear, the byproduct cotinine, may take up to 3 weeks. If either shows up, you can figure up to double the premium compared to a non-smoker.You don't want to put yourself in the position of lying to the insurer...it doesn't end well...

There is lying to your doctor and lying to your insurance company. My doc says he doesn't report anything but treatments and expenses to the insurance company. You would have to talk to your doctor about what he communicates to the insurance. If your doctor is anti-pipe smoking... well... there are other doctors out there.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
My last Physical this year, Doctors name is Bradley, Bradley you've missed 3 Appoints, do you know we charge you for that, my reply money well spent.bradley says to Bradley care to say why you've missed. You wouldn't believe me, Dr try me, my dog got under the house and chewed my hot water pipes, water everywhere. All three times, yes, Dr I don't believe you, I say then I guess you don't believe I smoke the pipe. He shakes his head and looks at my wife, How long you've been married to him. 51 yrs my wife says, hes driving you Crazy he asks, no she says he drove the dog crazy. :rofl:

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
dmc, I say I've never smoked a cigarette in my life and it's very, very true. I've been asked about cigars and say I've smoked 3 in my life also true. Luckily I've never been asked about pipe smoking.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
It makes me stressed out to consider lying.

I know that I lie to myself.

I tell my doctor(s) the truth about pipe smoking.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If you only use tobacco three times per week, definitely not me, insurance does not consider you a tobacco user. (As described to me by my insurance provider)

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
No quandary, if they are going to treat my light pipe smoking the same way as a 2 pack a day cig smoker, then the easy answer is no. They are night and day. I don't have a cough, and you won't find any evidence of smoking examining me. My lungs are in great shape, and I can hold my breath a real long time. It is irrelevant to my point in going there, even my dentist says my gums look great.
You are a fool to tell a doctor you have even looked at a tobacco product, the only point is in assessing your insurance risk as any justification for raising your rates. Just as I don't say I have guns when they ask me--- it really isn't any of their business. Do I feel safe in my house. Pleeeeaaase.
You have to realize that the doctor works for the insurance company and answers to the government first, you last.
Same as your banker. They report everything to the government, and can come in and take your money and clear out your account any time they want to. Tell nobody nothing they really don't need to know, because they aren't telling you anything either.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I just enjoy the look on health care providers faces when I tell them I enjoy tobacco, and have no plans of quitting. :mrgreen:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Same as your banker. They report everything to the government, and can come in and take your money and clear out your account any time they want to. Tell nobody nothing they really don't need to know, because they aren't telling you anything either.
The advice is good, but no, the government cannot just waltz in and clear out your account— at least not legally acquired funds. The main reporting requirement I am aware of is deposits over $10,000, something that's been in place over 50 years. Maybe if there are over 30 deposits of $9,999 they have to report.....

Status
Not open for further replies.