PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

armac

Lurker
Apr 1, 2011
I’m an old guy who has been a pipe smoker for well over fifty years. I can remember when Granger was a broken flake, Sir Walter Raleigh a true Cubed Burley, and Balkan Sobrannie was less than two bucks a tin. In my time, I’ve smoked or at least tried a load of tobaccos, just as I’ve smoked or tried most of the newer blends (or remakes) that have appeared in recent years. And that’s what I’d like to say a few words about: tobaccos that are currently available.
In the past couple of years, I’ve begun to hear many complaints about tobaccos that are blended by some of the well known blenders, particularly American blenders. Those complaints fall into two categories for today‘s blenders: Consistency, and what is perceived as replacing high grade tobaccos with low grade rubbish from unknown sources. The first seems relatively easy to address: One of the major reasons blends are inconsistent is that manufacturers are in such a hurry to get the product out the door, they figure “close” is good enough. Time is money. They shortcut the process and turn out crap not fit for mice on the warehouse floor.
The second problem, replacing high grade tobacco with cheap tobaccos results from the same cause: The bottom line on the balance sheet. One-third of all tobaccos produced today are produced in China. Brazil and India are the 2nd and 3rd largest producers. I understand Korea is now producing Burley. The soil and growing conditions are different than Maryland, Virginia, Kentucky, the Carolinas, and Ohio in these countries. And of course, all these countries outside the US use “honey wagons” of human excrement to fertilize their crops. I’m not sure that has bearing on flavor but it seems as though it would. Certainly, quality control is not what it is in the US. But again, the bottom line is cost. If I can buy tobacco imported from China at half the cost of US grown tobacco, I can stuff more money in my pocket.
As it happens, I’m one of the complainers. For cigarettes, (No, I don’t smoke them.) half or more mixed with tobacco flavored paper anyway, it might not make a difference, but for pipe tobacco, the difference is enormous. Sadly, and in my opinion from smoking many of the current blends, some of the best known American pipe tobacco blenders are guilty of both inconsistent blends and using the cheapest tobacco they can buy. And they have a lot of excuses. One of the most prominent is, “Our sources for tobacco have changed.” Of course it has. They’ve begun buying from the cheapest source they can find. As a result, that pride in their blends that was so evident, even in the “drugstore” tobaccos of fifty years ago, has gone out the window. They may as well be turning out garbage bags. It would be fitting.
One final note: I’m speaking primarily of American blenders. For whatever reason, some Danish and English tobacco blenders seem to produce tobaccos that are both consistent and of high quality.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Welcome to the forums armac! Glad to have the benefit of your perspective from 50 yrs. ago to the present; and thanks for pouring forth, as it were, with such an organized essay (dare I call it a rant?). :clap:
I don't go back as far as you do, and my samplings of "historic" brands have been pretty much restricted to the offerings of local B&M's and the Tinder Box chain; so I'm not in a good position to compare and contrast the past and present offerings of the so-called boutique blenders that have proliferated thanks to the internet.
I did notice, however, that many of the claims you make, absent any documentation, are purely conjectural at this point in the discussion. I wasn't aware that any of the high profile American blenders (Ouellette, Tarler, Pease, Runowski, Gottlieb, McClelland, et. al.) were substituting inferior grades of leaf in their blends. That makes me wonder where the high grade leaf is going. :)
As for the source of fertilizer, I dunno, nitrogen is nitrogen, and mammal poop is mammal poop. That notwithstanding, I can't imagine a more backward and poorly organized Third World tobacco producer than Zimbabwe, yet this article appears to run counter to the theme of your complaint with respect to fertilizer. And Migao Corp., which claims to be the largest supplier to the Chinese tobacco industry, claims to rely on potash as a fertilizer source. (Not human poo-poo.)
So maybe for me, ignorance is bliss; but I can't think of a time when so many quality blends were so readily available. From my perspective of 40+ yrs I'd say we're currently experiencing a renaissance of excellence in pipe tobaccos.
At any rate, thanks for chiming-in with your take on the situation. You've certainly given me a load of back-tracking and research to do; and I'll start right here with PipesMagazine's archive of articles. I hope you peruse them too! Again, welcome! I'll be looking forward to more of your observations and opinions.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
My wife, the gardner, says there is a difference between herbivor poo and carnivor poo. Cow manure good, cat droppings very bad. I have not done an exaustive study of this topic, so I tend to believe the person who cooks for me. Wish I could add more to the discussion, but I hit my knowledge limit.
Winton

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
:lol: Good one Winton. So, I guess you're saying her sh*t don't stink, so to speak?
Sorry for hogging so much bandwidth.

What does everybody else think of the quality of current tobacco blends?

duncan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
Well in my 1 year of pipe smoking I have found the quality to be great. If I had to complain about something it would be getting to many hard veins in some of my Bulk Tobac. Other than that from what I keep hearing from the older guys is I am in the best of times for choices and quality of tobacco.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
First, welcome armac. I hope you continue to add to the forums here. You have a lot of experience in this fine hobby of ours.
I have been smoking pipes for about 10 years off and on, the last few fully pipes over the coughin sticks. The main reason is because of the myriad number of additives I have heard are in cigs and the "smokers' cough." But that is another discussion. Personally I believe the quality is good from what I have been able to get my hands on. I do not have the knowledge or experience of what certain blends were like 40-50 years ago (alot of the younger smokers are in this boat), we can only experience what we have now in the present form of whatever tobacco there is being produced and make our decisions based on that info.
I think there are definitely some very good quality tobacco available to us more readily accessible with the advent of the internet in recent years. There are many choices available for the discriminate smoker to get his or her hands on in short order. There are plenty of resources on the net nowadays (this fine site being at the top of my list) to help in that vein, its pretty much up to the user to seek out that which is being sought after.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Not sure I have much of a ground on this one, being that I'm only 26 and have only been smoking pipes on a weekly/daily basis in the last year or so, but I find most blends to be pretty good. I know my palate is no where near as advanced for the tastes of the different leaves and such, but I haven't come across a blend really that I've absolutely hated. I have noted some blends burning faster or slower or hotter or cooler, but my guess would be that it's mostly based on the type of leaf used and whether it's aromatic or now more so than the quality of the leaf. I love being able to try so many different blends just by a stop to the B&M or a telephone call or a mouse click. Also I do think the pipe world is in a time of revival. Every day it seems I keep hearing of new smokers and more so new young smokers such as myself. Haven't had the blends of 40 or 50 years ago, but I'm happy with the blends available today.

armac

Lurker
Apr 1, 2011
>>
Thanks for the comment, cortezattic. McClelland is probably the most consistent American blender and they still source their tobacco primarioly from the US, or at least that's what I understand. On the other hand, C&D produces Pease and Runowski blends as well as their own. Craig and Patty are mostly out of the day to day operation since they retired. I do know Greg Pease has had some problems with some of his blends, most notibly Barbary Coast, which I talked with him about. The problem isn't with the creator of the blend, the bloke who comes up with the formula, its with the producer and tobacco source. The measure and types of tobacco that go into a blend may be the same but if the source for Virginia, Burley, etc., is changed from US locations to Chinese or Korean, then the taste may change. A good example is St. James Parrish LA Perique. There's a whale of a difference between that and some of the pseudo stuff being cranked out in the back of someone's barn. There's also a difference between Syrian and Cyprian Latakia. Why? The process is the same. I suspect its the ground its grown in. I'm certainly no expert but I do know I've received tins of Virginia Gentleman and Three Frairs from C&D that were batched on several different dates that had different cuts and different taste. Has to be a reason. Thanks to all the members who have commented. Its an interesting topic and one I think should be discussed.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
armac, we're lucky to have your input here. Check out the articles linked in the left-hand column of this page, and some of the featured articles and blogs on the home page. There are several that have information of relevance to our discussion.
Also, use the "Search on site" box at the top of the left-hand column for keyword searches. The keyword "spotlight" might be a search target of immediate interest because it will probably bring up interviews with Tarler, Ouellette, Pease, Gottlieb, and maybe a few other people with insights into quality control issues.
Well, thanks for starting a very interesting thread; I hope many more flow from your pen.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
My only complaint with today's blends is the loss of some of the great old time geezer burley blends. I think I'd almost kill for some Plow Boy.

fred

Lifer
Mar 21, 2010
First, welcome to the fold Armac. This topic is one that has been going on for

likely as long as people have been smoking tobacco. Yes, sources of leaf change,

as does quality. Blenders are constantly attempting to maintain consistency under

a host of changing conditions. It really is a balancing act. European blenders

face the same problems acquiring leaf as Americans do, and change is evident in

blends that have a long history, in part due to the change in trademark ownership

over the years, with the past couple of years showing huge corporate hopscotch

maneuvers, including Dunhill, Robert McConnell, Rattray, Solani, CAO, Fribourg

& Treyer to list a few. In the UK, many of the traditional blends have vanished.

Blenders like Samuel Gawith aren't really concerned with consistency, but rely

more on the character of the crop, using simple techniques. Gawith & Hoggarth

rely on heavily cased blends for much of their offerings, giving us that 'Lakeland'

essence. Schurch blends show a good deal of consistency, as the result of small

batch blending. Sadly, European Sellers are being squeezed out of the American

market by Federal barriers here, ones that are keeping us all watching for what

the FDA is going to do with 'flavorings' in OTPs. We are under siege. Not being

an industry insider, I can only make observations from the bleachers, but it seems

that European blenders are having as many problems as American blenders. Granted,

my perspective is limited, as I've only been smoking Pipes since 1969... Hopefully,

we will continue to have choices apart from Plantation leaf, once the FDA presents

their regulations, the Feds continue to increase taxes, and NAAG (National

Association of Attorney Generals) rattles the saber at the money changers & the

shipping industry, in an effort to collect more tax revenue.
Yes, I sometimes wax nostalgic over blends that are no longer in issue. Occasionally,

I even make small purchases in the 'vintage' market, but mainly rely on the cellar

for my day to day fare. How long can American blenders continue to source good

leaf? As for China, I understand that they are currently the largest tobacco producing

country, but they export very little, preferring to smoke it instead. My thought

is that these are the 'good old days,' and many are feeding the cellar like a

squirrel preparing for a nuclear winter. Yes, much has been lost, but I'm more

concerned with what's going to happen next. Back when I started smoking Pipes, the

old guys were talking about how things had gone to blazes with the current issues

of Pipe tobacco. That same thing continues today. Hopefully, we will be able to

see it continue.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Again, I am amazed at the most invaluable resource here at pipesmagazine.com--the combined knowledge of our members.

Thank you, gentlemen, for such excellent discourse.

:clap:

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
A further source of inconsistency involves changes in the marketplace for oriental varietals. Twenty years ago, blenders could buy specific varieties that were grown in a particular area, even by a specific grower. To a very large extent that has changed. Orientals are predominantly available now in large lots that combine crops from various growers and, in some cases, different varieties. Part of this is due to government interference (theirs, not ours) and part is due to the growers themselves.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That's an excellent point, kcvet67. Since Ryan rescued true St. James Perique, the Oriental market has probably assumed the dubious distinction of being the most fragile market in the world; due, by definition, to its geographical limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.