PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
What are top tier brands to look for in older estate pipes? What brands would be second tier? What brands of those are now mediocre or dropped down a tier or two?

gtclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2013
Of course the hierarchy of current brands applies in the estate market. However, there are a few old brands that don't command the respect they once did. If I remember correctly, I think some of the older Kaywoodies from the 30's rivaled Dunhill in terms of quality and price. Off the top of my head, BBB and Hardcastle are great old English brands that don't bring high prices in the current market, but are by all accounts fine pipes.

gphenry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 5, 2014
I have been a bad boy on eBay this week. Ben Wade, Comoy, Charatain are joining my pipes. I tend to look for pipes I that just look good to me for a reasonable price. The quality of pipes from the 1970s and earlier generally are good compared to today's less expensive pipes, so estates are a hot buy for me at this point.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
An excellent quality Danish factory pipe that is well worth watching for is the Bari. I don't think they are terribly expensive, but they are worth more than you'll pay.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Bari's are excellent pipes. Also top tier are Castello, Ser Jacopo, Charatan, Comoy, Sasieni, and Dunhill. Prices on older Kaywoodies have been increasing, but they remain one of the best buys in estates. Avoid Barlings...

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Kaywoodie and other brands such as Medico from the 30s and 40s all used top quality briar and made quality pipes. I don't think you can go wrong with one from that era. Custombilts from the 40s would also be a good quality pipe.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
I enjoy all the top British senconds brands too...Old England(Saseni) andd The Everyman by Comoy are usually a great value for the smoke. I loke for tobacco shop pipes too are many are made from the great marquees if you research....big Belway fan. ANd I shouldn't say this but Ithink that Ben Wade Select grains from the Lane era are one hella of a pipe for the price.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
In my not so humble opinion no one makes a better smoking estate pipe than Castello. They are top of the line smokers. Now for pipes under 100.00, I believe Savinelli is a great estate pipe for the money. For my money, no one makes better
I honeest;y belive that the Italiaans make the best estate pipes.

Reactions: Fumatore

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Snag:
The thread died but blame Harris. His post talked of grabbing a Castello Collection Occhio Di Pernice for 184 bucks. Most of us estate guys shoot for well south of a Grant on a great buy. Still, there was some fabulous intel shared.
Maxx, when I got serious about smoking pipes I chilled my champagne taste vs. beer budget with this list of production burners: http://www.pipes.org/wp-content/uploads/Articles/Seconds.html
Seconds won't be the prettiest pigs in the pen bet they'll damn well be some of your best smokers. Clean'em up and they'll be excellent trade bait for even better smokers.Just wait and see what you can trade for them.
Best of luck,
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.