PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

odobenus

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Hey folks, if I think of it and have time, after smoking I use a q-tip (with some filtered water on it) to lightly clean the tar off the rim (as outlined so well by Lawdog in the last issue of P&T Mag). I've found that, with a couple of my pipes, this removes an alarming amount of stain. So far I've found this with my Peterson Aran and a Charatan Belvedere (red stain) from the 60s.

Most of my pipes clean up nicely with this method, but I'm wary of finding out which others are going to lose a layer of stain each time I do it.

Anyone else find this happening to them?

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I just noticed the same thing yesterday, as a matter of fact. I spit shine the rim when necessary to remove any black residue, but I’ve noticed the cloth/q tip/pipe cleaner/whatever actually comes away reddish brown from stain being removed. Color me alarmed, as well. I try to always polish my stummels with a pipe cloth after every smoke, I’m hoping this silicone layer will help protect the rim for future use, and it will be removed rather than any stain underneath. Interested to hear if anyone has a way to prevent this removal of stain. I like to keep my pipes looking nice, I’d hate to have a bare rim after a few years. Granted I try VERY hard to not touch flame to my rims, so cleanup work is minimal. But still...

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
Interesting! What pipes did this happen with, if you don't mind my asking? I guess it has to do with the kinds of stain used on certain models.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I’ve only noticed it on my Peterson Rosslare Royal Irish’s. Which sucks ass because those are the nicest pipes I have! “Nice” being a relative term, I suppose, if the stain comes off so readily.

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
So we both experience it on a Peterson. Hmmm. It ain't exactly science, but maybe we're getting somewhere. Please report back if you find it happening on any others.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Saliva is an age old secret. Takes off the tar extremely well, you must be gentle with it though as too much elbow grease will remove some of the stain.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
I just gave my little Briarworks C61 (dark stain) a test wipe and nada... however my Peterson Flame Grain shows the same negative effect, and that one has a pretty deep red stain. I don’t own an Aran, are the stains reddish? Maybe it’s something to do with red stains. My Rosslare’s are decidedly reddish. The Briarworks is not at all.

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
My Aran is much more brown than red, but there could be some red in it. The Charatan Belvedere is very, very red.

Glad the Briar Works stain is holding firm.
I'm not using any elbow grease here. This stain comes off with the lightest touch.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
odobenus try some spit on that q tip instead of filtered water, you will be amazed..

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
odobenus that is unfortunate to hear! I myself have been using a fair bit of elbow grease, might need to ease up. I’m used to cleaning guns, not pipes. To quote the inimitable Tenacious D, sometimes you’ve got to “F*** Her Gently”. That reference probably won’t land with many of you on here, but I stand by it.

odobenus

Dec 15, 2018
Vermont
That is a great song. I used to know all the words.

And yes, guns are much more forgiving. I am glad I don't need to use solvent and teflon lubricant when cleaning my pipes. Or wear nitrile gloves.

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
No doubt, on all accounts! Those harsh solvents will rot your insides, I don’t enjoy handling them. I’d much rather work with briar and a little grain alcohol any day!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
In thirty years I have never had saliva and rubbing with a handi wipe remove stain. Sounds like a bad stain job, and I've had some very messy cleanups.
20190109_1744081-394x600.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I am with Embers on this one. I use spit and elbow grease and have never seen stain on the handi wipe I use. Then again I don't own any Peterson pipes.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
have never seen stain on the handi wipe I use
This will depend on whether or not the stain is water-soluble and what is on top of the stain (wax, shellac/wax, varnish, e.g.). Any abrasive effect, such as using a buffer, can potentially wear through that protective layer into the stain. In other words, your mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.