PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I feel weird asking this question, seeing as a couple of months ago smoking a bowl meant a dozen relights. But lately I've been drying my tobacco for 20 min or so before packing my pipe, and that problem has diminished.
Now today, I was smoking and had to stop in a store. I had to put my pipe out, but it kept on smoldering.
Any tips on how to snuff out a pipe quickly? I put my palm over the chamber but after a minute it was still smoking. Palm over the chamber and create a vacuum by sipping? Just about got some pipe juice, and the pipe continued to smolder.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

FYI It was FM Cellar, kinda windy, 8 degrees (45 Fahrenheit).
Thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is a pipe you intend to re-light, I presume. Otherwise, just scoop the ash and dottle out in a safe place,

an ash tray or gutter. You can leave the pipe in a car ashtray, carefully and securely, so it goes out as it would

unsmoked in an ashtray at home, ready to relight. My father used to prop his pipe in some supposedly

camouflaged place on a rock, outdoor window ledge, etc., and it was always there when he got back (those

were more innocent times). Unsmoked, most pipes go out if you just hold them with the bowl covered. They

don't usually put off any smoke that would raise objections. Mostly, I'd opt for the car ash try. Also, tamping

a pipe firmly usually hastens it going out, although it is not guaranteed totally out. Always suppose it could

still have an ember and start a fire.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Well, here's another reason I love my army mount full bent pete 317 for out and about town. Happens all the time that I'm smoking my pipe and need to go inside a store or whatever and it's still lit. I just put it into my pocket still burning. If I need to, I just pull the stem and the bowl fits perfect in that little pocket in the right side of my jeans. Sometimes a few minutes later I leave the store and don't even need to relight. These days, I love the fact that so many people are smoking e-cigs in bars and restaurants. I have to admit that when I see them puffing away, I just smoke my pipe and everyone thinks it's an e-pipe. My wife gets mad at me, but never gotten me into trouble yet.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
This is a pipe you intend to re-light, I presume.

You presume correctly, sir.
I was on foot, as I like to go for walks while piping. Leaving my pipe in an ashtray wasn't an option. But tamping the tobacco sounds like a good way to put it out. I'll give that a shot.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Like Bryanf I just stick it in my pocket. Have yet to catch my clothing afire!

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
I am looking into my crystal ball right now, and I can see :laughat: you guys shedding those jeans rapidly one day in line at Lowes or some place. :rofl:

magicsmoke7

Lurker
Aug 22, 2013
Ohio
Hahaha good one Texas. I've put them in my pockets before. Something I avoid but not something that is taboo to be certain. as fro making it go out. I used to place my hand over the bowl and over the draw hole, but that's just too much work these days.

txbeerboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
magic, I just realized why you boys are shoving that pipe down your front pocket!!!! Your probably walking around in the mall to see if pipes really do attract women :rofl:

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
That's why I'm commissioning a cucumber shaped pipe! Nope, never lit my pocket on fire.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
I just do what Bryan does, stick the pipe in my pocket (coat pocket) and walk inside. Haven't set any of my clothing on fire nor has any smoke been leaving the pocket to disturb anyone else. :puffy:

pipedan

Lurker
Jun 17, 2011
Here's what I do...

Get yourself a regular 1 or 2 pipe bag. You know, the kind that also stores a little tobac and maybe a tool.

Also get yourself an attachable windscreen, the kind with the little springy things that allow it to fit most bowls.

Put it onto your [still burning] pipe bowl, insert the pipe into pipe bag and enter store.

Works every time.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I usually just stick my finger in as if I was going to tamp it and continue to rotate the pipe 360° around my finger until the tobacco just falls out, yes you can potentially lose half a bowl of tobacco. But for some reason this Prince Albert Cherry Vanilla has been tasting sour and chemically (almost like a burnt plastic) everytime I have less than half a bowl left.

eazye77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2012
If I'm outside I will put the bowl against the wall for a few seconds to smother it or I will let it rest for a moment and it usually stops smoking until I draw on it again or relight. Depends on the tobacco.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Also, some months ago, a lady member here (Eibhir) posted some rather ingenious pipebowl "covers" her husband made for her, using cork, glue and a hardwood circular cap:
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/look-what-my-husband-made-me
rothnh, I remember seeing that thread, and forgot about it completely.

Those covers hfearly had made (cork, Brigham filter aluminum piece, wood screw) look like just the thing I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.