PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I made a stupid mistake today while doing a deep cleaning. I was buffing out some stems and rim gunk with white diamond, changed out buffs, but grabbed the white diamond and used it on my carnuba buff accidentally. I wasn't able to put a coat of carnuba on the remaining pipes after the mistake and will need to purchase a new buff. It was a brain fart that could have ended worse than it did. So if you're like me, and you use a basic set-up, make sure you put your compounds away with your buffs as you change them out.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
That's a great tip. I have a basic setup and am paranoid about ruining a wheel. I lay the compound on the wheel so they both go together.

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Excellent
I wouldn't want to mess up my fine Corinthian leather

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've never used a buffer on pipes but this is certainly a great tip for those that do. :clap:

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
A few hours at the gym three days a week and I'm buff

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
It's pretty easy to clean compound off of a wheel. I use briar scraps, but you can use any wood scraps with a hard edge on it. Just turn the motor on and hold the edge of the scrap into the wheel pretty aggressively. You'll see the compound building up on the wood as it's removing it from the wheel. Just keep moving the block around to a new clean area for however long it takes until there isn't compound coming off anymore.

Then add carnauba to the wheel, and use more scraps to take that off (to be sure all the white is out, and it's just pure carnauba left).

I would probably add carnauba and remove it several times to really clean it.

Wheel should be good to go at that point.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

^^ Great suggestion! ^^ It didn't even cross my mind but I will definitely try to remove it before I buy a new buffing wheel. Thanks!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm partial to polishing pipes by hand. They may not look as brand new, but I like some patina and wear to show, while the pipes are still clean and well-maintained. I don't use compounds on them either, which can lead to residue. Keep it simple is my mantra.

Status
Not open for further replies.