Purpose of more expensive pipe lighters?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
156 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Johs Pipes
72 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
24 Fresh Barling Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Since 99% of lighters are more expensive than a BIC that leaves quite a lot of territory to cover. A $12 plain-jane Zippo w/pipe insert works in a fairly stiff breeze, whereas the slightest breeze is a major challenge when using a BIC. Soft-flame butane lighters of any price have the same disadvantage, so IMO the advantage is esthetic, not practical.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Panache. Élan. Mystique. Aesthetics. Etc. Etc. :D
I have a couple of nice lighters, but most often at home use the BIC, matches, or a refillable butane lighter. Some will complain you're wasting money, or are an effete snob, have more money than sense, etc., but they tend to be righteous sore losers.
Buy and use what you like!
EDIT: I should say I wrote the above before seeing any response to the OP's question.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yup, part of the trappings, and the whole "look what I have" thing. I have an IM Corona old boy with the pipe shapes, and it did the exact same job as a bic. Then I dropped it once, and the bic now outshines it.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My more expensive lighters last longer with less hassle than lesser expensive models. I have tried all the less expensive ones and they all broke within 6 months.
I also don't consider spending 125.00 for a lighter expensive.

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
I use a zippo which isn't that expensive, like $15 or so and it works well indoors and outdoors. Bics may be ok for cigs but the are horrible for pipe lightin in my opinion.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

My favorite feature of my IM Corona is the tamper pick in the bottom. It's very handy. It's also nice to be able to adjust the flame. Other than those two things... I would be using a Bic like I did before buying a pipe lighter. The flame on an old boy is soft and worthless in even the slightest breeze, but I smoke inside so it's not an issue.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Plus, in these weird times, $100+ buys a lot of tobacco, and so far, lighted aren't on the FDA's chopping block. :wink:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
While I am mostly a Bic and Zippo guy, I do have a couple of "up scale" lighters. I purchased them because I could. Self-satisfaction was the motivator I guess. I only use them at home so impressing the public certainly wasn't a factor.
Re: The Bic and its being horrible. They are easy to use, inexpensive and dependable. There is a bit of a learning curve, training the thumb, turning away from the wind, and cupping the rim but, nothing too complicated.

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
I recently discovered a bic type lighter at the grocery store with an adjustable flame. Works like a charm. Buy it in a 6 pack (I think) for around $2-$4. They don't last all that long before they run out of fuel, but for less than $.50 a piece, they're great. This

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Sometimes I like things that aren't disposable and are potential heirloom objects.

I imagine my Zippo collection will be cherished by my son. My Old Boy is going in the casket with me. :puffy:
EDITED: spell check is not my friend

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
My Dupont, which was a gift, is just a pretty lighter and it gives me the same control as a match with less hassle. When I want to feel a bit posh, I'll use it. But my BICs work almost as well, though they're not pipe lighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.