PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltstone

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Hi guys I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good Virginia that is as naturally sweet as possible with maybe a light topping of honey , sugar or vanilla.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
My local B&M sells a blend called "Sweet Virginia" that I'm pretty sure is Sutliff's Sweet Virginia (707).
Tobaccoreviews says that it is a non-aromatic with no topping, but most reviewers mention a light honey or sugar topping that accentuates the natural sweetness of the blend.
If it's the same "Sweet Virginia" that my local B&M sells, it's delicious, and I do detect a clear honey topping. I don't think any Virginia is naturally that sweet, but it's a very natural tasting blend.

Regardless it seems to fit your description. It's available at SmokingPipes for dirt cheap.
Here is JimInk's review:

The Virginia is citrus, grass/hay, and slightly floral/woody. A sweet topping is present. Maybe it's sugar, but I detect a very slight honey note, too, which may be from the tobacco or not. Very uncomplicated product that burns well and needs to be sipped to avoid potential harshness or bite. An all day work and play Va. that doesn't require much thought.

pipefish

Can't Leave
Aug 25, 2013
While not a pure Virginia, I like Erik Stokkebye's 1931; nice light honey topping

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Capstan Blue Flake

Wessex Campaign Dark Flake

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Some great suggestions here for my next order. I just some found some Newminster Superior Flake and had a bowl, nice, toasty/earthy and sweet. First half of the bowl was good but I was struggling the last half to get the flavors. I'm still developing my tastes for Virginias.. Used a wide bowl and sipped real slowwww.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Most straight VA's are cased with sugar to a degree. FVF is pretty sweet so is wessex campaign dark flake If you're up for something with bergamot there's Hamborger Verrmaster, Cut Viriginia Plug and Dunhill Flake.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Mac Baren Virginia no. 1 I believe has a light honey topping. It's a nice, sweet straight VA blend. Think you'll really like it. It comes in bulk too, so you can sample an ounce before making an expensive commitment. : )

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Ya know, it's weird. Now that you mention it, you're right, it bit the shit out of me, the first time I smoked it but now it doesn't even phase me. I think you have to kind of acclimate to Mac Baren blends. I wouldn't be turned off of this blend because it happens to bite some folks, it surely doesn't mean it's going to bite you, everyone's chemistry is so different.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
McClellend Old world Cake is pure Va with some kind of fruit topping, I think it's apricot but it's a secret, but that would be my guess. The Va's are in the forefront though.

Oh and McClellend's fragrant matured cake is exactly what you're looking for, it's got a vanilla topping I believe, it's a very nice blend.

PS luxury twist flake is very sweet too.

webbie

Lurker
Jan 28, 2015
You might try Peter Stokkebye's luxury twist flake. It is virginia that has some kind of sweet topping. It really hits the spot for me when I crave that kind of thing.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
Thanks guys! So here's what I ordered:
Mac Baren: Virginia No. 1

Peter Stokkebye: Luxury Twist Flake

Sutliff: 707 Sweet Virginia
And off topic:
Gawith Hoggarth & Co.: Brown Irish X Unsliced

Gawith Hoggarth & Co.: Sweet Whiskey

G.L. Pease: KEY LARGO
And some others..

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Erik Stokkebye 1931 has a pronounced but not overbearing honey flavor. Don't be tempted to dry it. It may feel moist but it's perfect right from the tin. Drying it turns it into just another harsh burley like Amphora.
Dunhill Flake is not topped at all as far as they say or I can tell. It's as straight a pure tobacco tasting VA as you can get. Smoke it slow and you might be able to extract some faint sweetness. Speed up and it's like smoking a Lucky Straight.
If you want a pure VA with a light topping, Royal Yacht fits the bill to a tee. I have no idea what the topping is though, it's not honey, it's not anything recognizable to me.

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Let us know which one pleases you the most! I'm always interested to see how different people's definition of "sweet" lines up.

If you want a pure VA with a light topping, Royal Yacht fits the bill to a tee. I have no idea what the topping is though, it's not honey, it's not anything recognizable to me.

I like to think it's tawny port.

Status
Not open for further replies.