PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I've been perusing the many different tobaccos I see so many of you guys talk about from time to time such as the recent post about a Kentucky Flake and just started searching around for some of the MacB ODF to buy some day just to give it a shot since it has my interest now. I found a site that sells it in tins that you can buy at 1.75 oz for $9.15 and the 3.5 oz tin for $13.06. That's like $5.23 per oz for the 1.75 oz tin and $3.73 per oz for the 3.5 oz tin. So basically, do you guys shop the way I would, and buy the 3.5 oz tin in which I get more for my money, only having never tried it before, or just buy the 1.75 oz tin? It makes more since if I knew I liked and wanted more, but I feel drawn to the better deal. Do you purchase it at the better value when you're trying something new?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Smoke a tin. If you like it smoke two more tins. If you still like it a pound. . .and so on. You can spend a lot or less. Realistically, really and truly, what's your budget? Are you blowing both short and long-term savings on pipes and tobacco? It's easy to do. I've done it.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
That's a great question, and important to consider $ when TAD hits. Opinions are all over the board on this topic, each of us does it differently. For example, I am at the point that I know what to cellar and thus I go deep and go for the best value (larger tins, bulk, boxes, etc). However, I prefer to purchase small tins always as a default. I like having 50 grams divided in to many tins, vs 1 lb in mason jars. I am willing to pay more for the smaller tins because it fits with my lifestyle better. But I guarantee, many will prefer bulk and larger tins and cost saving.
The real problem is purchasing tobacco at the beginning of the hobby. So many blends to try, so much time and money wasted developing your own pallet.

Jan 8, 2013
The real problem is purchasing tobacco at the beginning of the hobby. So many blends to try, so much time and money wasted developing your own pallet.
The trick is, once you've found a blend you enjoy, add another tin or two to future orders when you're purchasing more blends to try. You're trying new blends while already beginning to cellar something you enjoy.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Exactly! I mean I'm still trying things all over the place and testing what I like. I would consider doing it your way, by buying smaller tins for cellaring, even at the higher cost, mainly because I don't smoke a whole lot. Maybe a bowl a day, some days none, other days I might have 3, so I'd say I average about a bowl a day. If I had all those jars stuffed after buying in bulk, I might not have the chance to smoke it all before it dries out. Some would argue that's not a bad thing, but I don't want to lose the flavor over time either.
I would like to think that I'd buy stuff at the deal now to try and jar what I know I'm not going to get to within a few weeks, and if I like it, then stock up on the smaller tins of what I enjoy.
The trick is, once you've found a blend you enjoy, add another tin or two to future orders when you're purchasing more blends to try. You're trying new blends while already beginning to cellar something you enjoy.
Oh that's a nice idea. I could easily do that, just buy some things I want to try, then as I try others, ad a couple tins of what I like to the next order. Good idea, anthony.

robcapp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 8, 2017
Massachusetts
I agree with the above posts.... But in this particular case, with ODF..... Most people love it and there's a good chance you will too.... Buy the larger !!

edwinbaz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2014
Houston
Tobacco is tobacco, and unless it's a godawful, chemical-tasting, humectant soaked, cheap leaf blend, then you could jar it if you don't love it and come back to it months, years later. You could then maybe realize it's the most sublime thing you've ever tasted, be it because it aged well or because your palate and preferences changed. Were that not the case, many people will be more than happy to trade aged tobacco, so there is an argument to be made for taking a risk in buying more quantity and saving money while at it.

That said, I tend to go with 50g tins or 2oz in mason jars if I'm trying a blend. I'll buy 100g+ once I know I like a particular mixture or if it's a genre I love, with the exception of when it's a raved about/hard to get tobacco and the window opens to buy some (I bought some FVF 250g boxes before I tried it).

Good were the days of samplers, the PAX Crawls, the Pipe Tobacco of the Month Club. Those were fantastic for trying blends that might not have been on one's radar. P&C still has samplers, and the Battle of the Blends is a great way to try and pay less for 50g tins. In fact, they had a tin of Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky and one of Mac Baren ODF for $16, I think.

The ideal scenario in the sampling phase is to have pipe smoking friends, or a nearby pipe club. That way you can split the cost, try a wider variety and begin deep cellaring your favorites quicker. Sure, I want to be like JimInks when I grow up, but at the rate I smoke right now I know I'll discover many blends I'll love way past the 2021 mark if I go at it alone. That's why I'm spreading the tobacco gospel among my friends and I started a scraggly pipe club 4 people strong.

In the end, you do you, and keep going with the methodology that works best for you.

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
Can't go wrong no matter how you purchase it. If you don't like it now, you may like it in the future...if you still don't like it you can always trade what you have for something you want.

The way the laws are changing, the key is to have as much tobacco as you can afford in your possession.

Possession is the key to this point!

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Buy the 100g tin to try out. If it's not to your immediate liking, jar the rest and revisit in a month or two. ODF seems to really open up after a bit.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It seems smart to try something in the smallest available quantity. If it's shipping that is stopping you, just order quite a few samples (carefully, not just to fill up the box). You'll rotate between blends usually, so you'll have a tin or jar around long enough to decide. I usually finish off the sample and wait a while, meantime trying other blends. Then if I want to re-order after some weeks, I know it really impressed me. Blends are going to accumulate on you anyway, so it's not like you're going to run out of leaf. Some people just want to live large and order by the pound, and if that's your nature go with it. But it does cost more.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I buy the smallest size available first to try it. I recently visited the local Tinder Box (30 minutes away) and purchased one ounce each of Sunset (Lane HS-3) and Wilshire (Lane 1-Q). It's a convenient way for me to try tobaccos. If I don't like it, no great loss...if I like it, great I'll buy a larger quantity in the future.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Yeah, the Tinder Box along with a few other local B&M's do have some things I'm working on trying, but they mostly don't have anything more than loose blends. It's more difficult if the tobacco only comes in either tins or flakes (which I think I only see come in tins too). That kind of makes it more difficult to try a lot of the brands that the B&M's won't carry in house.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I don't necessarily recommend my habits for anyone else but I'm happy to share them, anyway.
I learned with buying surplus rifles and ammo, "Buy 'em cheap and stack 'em deep!"
Finite resources may or may not be there whenever you return.
With the deeming regs looming and the general constricting public attitude towards tobacco, it won't be too long before we here are slinking around in alleys, under the cover of darkness, to swap tins with one another...
So, pay your bills, fill your pantry and designate a reasonable portion of what's left to cellar construction.
I have tried several dozen blends over the past year. Enough to know that, if I stick to non-aro's, there's well above a 95% chance I'll enjoy it. In a year of putting everything I could get into my pipe and smoking it, I've had exactly one reject.
So, now I search for deals. Bulks and bargains. I've no need and little desire for unobtanium. What I do need is more closet space and more canning jars...
jay-roger.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.