PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjm1

Might Stick Around
Sep 4, 2014
I am an expat in China and recently purchased a few pipes online (and some tobacco) in the hope that I have a new relaxing hobby. Pipe tobacco does not seem available here as readily (nor have I located an online suppliers in a neighboring country) so it seems the most cost effective way is to ship from the states. The situation I would like some suggestions with is this- Many US suppliers will not ship here, and if they do shipping cost (and possible customs processes) can be relatively expensive. In addition, I am in a very low income situation. So, I am wondering if there is someone who has had experience in Asia dealing with this kind of scenario and what the best option was that they found. Similarly if any know of a supplier that can give a discount with shipping as does happen on occasion with continental state shipping.
Related to this I am thinking it will be most cost effective to order in bulk. What are the top 5ish bulk tobaccos I should try that are on the lower end?
Thanks in advance for the ideas.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There is a huge selection of bulk tobaccos available in either aromatic or non-aromatic blends, scores of great

Virginia and Virginia Perique blends, old burley favorites and new burley blends, and on and on. So you really

have a huge choice. Aromatics I'd recommend, among others, are Lanes 1-Q and LL-7; Altadis Queen Anne's

Revenge and Dark Obsession; Sutliff The Great Outdoors (tinned). Non-aromatics in bulk include Dunhills

Nightcap and Early Morning Blend; Altadis Fox and Hound; and if you like burley, Cornell and Diehl's

Billy Budd, Big 'n Burley, Pegasus, Golden Ash. Just a few suggestions. But there are hundreds of others

in those and other categories. If you have a relative who knows how to shop online, you might get them to

send you are package of tobaccos.

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
Try contacting JJ at Hopark. He is a cigar importer/dealer in HongKong so he may know who to contact in regards to pipe tobacco for you.
HOPARK CIGARS LIMITED

E-mail: hopark@netvigator.com

Tel: (852) 27393368 / (852) 27243287

Fax: (852) 23118592

粤ICP备06074056号

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Some bigger cities have tobaccos shop. I live in Wuhan, there is a guy and a shop. He has a nice collection of pipes, and some tobaccos. Exclusively in tins, not bulk.
I bought some tobaccos from "Justforhim" and from "smokingpipes" ... but indeed, import regulations limit purchases to 500 grams, around 17oz.

Shipping fees go up to $22, it's a little steep, I know.

I am trying to know in advance people from the US, coming to Wuhan so that I can contact them, as ask if they would be willing to take the pouches with them.

That could be a solution in reducing fees.
cheers.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Hi carver, I was actually from Wuhan, and now living in a different city. I buy my tobacco from a seller on Taobao. Of course I have to contact the person not directly on the website because it is apparently illegal to sell tobacco online here. I think the price is fairly reasonable and he would mail them to me sometimes free of shipping charge.
His shop in based in Beijing though, and I think he speaks not a word of English so...

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Hey Shawn, that is very very interesting!!! Would you mind help me find him on TaoBao?

I know that one can't buy tobacco online but that way can totally work.

How well stocked up is he? Does he have a lot of brands?

Thanks for your reply.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
It's a shop called 风行烟具 (I'm not sure if this site can display Chinese), I think it's one of the highest rated pipe-related seller on TaoBao. You will have to contact the person on WeChat if you want to enquire about tobacco. The person's WeChat ID is "Dram1214". Like I said, you will either have to be able to type Chinese, or get someone to help. The person will send you a few pictures of all the tobacco he has in store for you to choose. You could either pay on TaoBao, the person will send you a link to an unrelated item and change its price to the price of your purchase. Or you could pay via Alipay, which is far easier.
I have to be honest, the choices are very limited, but you can always find common tobacco like Dunhill's EMP, My Mixture 965, Nightcap etc. And there are some Frog Morton's... Most of the popular stuff are sold out very quickly, but they do get new stock in every once in a while.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
4noggins ships anywhere in the world, they even have Vatican city in the pulldown menu.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm surprised that pipes and pipe tobacco are such a rare item in China, given its vast population and array of different ethnicities and cultures, despite the predominance of the Han (majority ethnic population). But most especially, in light of China's long and intense romance with tobacco. Chairman Mao and his leadership cadre was never without a logistical supply of cigarettes and other tobacco products on The Long March, and the consumption of tobacco in China is unimpeded by restrictions in other parts of the world. How pipes and pipe smoking missed that vast transcontinental nation bewilders me. Perhaps it is because they associate tobacco pipes with the British who ran against the cultural grain (The Opium Wars and such). Still, I would have thought the Chinese would have their carvers, blenders, and retailers, as vast and multi-cultural as they are. Somewhere there may be a Chinese entrepreneur who can grasp this opportunity.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Hi mso489, pipe smoking is rare all around the world, but especially though in China. Most people here smoke cheap cigarettes that's made in China. There is a ban on imported tobacco in general, I think that's the reason, or at least part of it; it's one of the many schemes of the Chinese government to make money for themselves. I know from the internet there are people who smoke pipes in China, and I've even heard of a few master pipe craftsman, but I've yet to meet any of them in real life. You have to understand that the communist China is a nation built unity and comformity, doing anything that makes you stand out is frowned upon. Yet that doesn't stop a few like myself who care more about enjoyment than what other people think of us.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Hi Shawn,

Yet that doesn't stop a few like myself who care more about enjoyment than what other people think of us.
Are you a Chinese ?

I didn't know there was a ban on imported tobacco.

Thanks for sharing your view on it in China, that was quite interesting.
Thanks for the TaoBao shop, I'll look it up !

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
Yes, I was born in China, lived abroad for many years, and returned here a few years ago. I think I've read somewhere that China banned foreign tobacco companies from operating in this country, although you can still find imported cigarettes and stuff occasionally in shops, they are not mass imported.

Oh I had a look on 4noggins website, their tobacco is certainly much cheaper than buying in China, even with priority shipping. I shall try buying from US next time I get TAD. Don't know how reliable is international shipping though.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I bought from JustforHim ($22 shipping) and SmokingPipes (choice between $12 and $22 shipping) and it went well. Around 10-15 days for things to arrive.

It's handled well.

Never bought from 4noggins though.

Too bad theweight limit to importing tobaccos without tax is that low though, we could manage buying in bulk for several people and share the shipping costs.

shawnofthedead

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 5, 2015
I will have a look at smokingpipes, thanks. I guess I can handle the wait, if it's a large batch. Just how much tobacco did you buy?

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
"4noggins ships anywhere in the world, they even have Vatican city in the pulldown menu."
The Pope hoards Penzance and Stonehaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.