Purchasing A New Pipe Online - Experiences?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
I’ve never bought a new pipe online. Always via B&M
For those that have, what is QA like? Are the holes drilled well? Any issues with finish damage and/or chips?
I spend a lot of time looking over pipes in a B&M when making a purchase. I take the stem off to see in the shank, and look in the bottom of the bowl for airhole placement. I’m amazed at the number of poorly drilled pipes I see in the $50 - 130 range (drilled off center especially). I just move on to the next pipe that catches my eye when I see this. Seen some unsightly scratches, fills, and finishes as well upon closer inspection.
Seems like a prayer approach when buying a new one online

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
Totally depends on the brand of pipe - the usual bell-curve of quality applies, where some brands are mostly good most of the time, and others are... pretty patchy.
All the good online vendors have no-hassle return policies, and you can always contact them and have someone inspect a pipe you are interested in. SMokingpipes.com and tobaccopipes.com will do so for sure.
overall, I've had good success buying online. A couple pipes I would not have bought if I had seen them up close, one I kept, one I sent back (hassle for me because it's international). But if you move slow and use a good vendor, it's easy and pretty riskless.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
"Online" is too broad a category. If it's a reputable store, I'd say you're safe.
The one I get my pipes from is very honest about the defects, and you can ask whatever you want.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
I like the idea of someone at the store being able to vouch and provide information for the pipe before purchasing. Glad to hear they will do that

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had good success with Forums sponsor online retailers like smokingpipes, pipesandcigars, and Iwan Ries. Also with standard brands like Savinelli, Stanwell, and Nording. As mentioned in an above post, you can always order by phone and ask the sales person to inspect a pipe for drilling. Usually these people are experienced, cooperative, and honest. Most pipe people are proud of their knowledge and know-how and will do right, partly out of pride. You do well to shop in person when you can, and cultivate your local independent pipe shop(s), but this does limit your selection. Even with gift pipes, I've had a good experience with quality and workmanship. Pipe shows are another good situation to shop in person, from pros, if it is possible for you to attend shows.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Make sure you pay attention to the measurements and ask for additional pictures if you are unsure. A reputable dealer will answer your questions and provide additional pictures if you ask.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I’m amazed at the number of poorly drilled pipes I see in the $50 - 130 range (drilled off center especially).
Wait until you see an $800 straight like that.
Most online sellers will actually take the pipe you are interested in off of the shelf to do pipe cleaner tests or answer other quality questions you may have prior to the purchase. Most of my online buys have been exceptional.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
Wait until you see an $800 straight like that
Well ... there’s a whole other topic
You would think that what makes an expensive pipe, expensive, is the totality of mechanical precision, quality of materials used, and creative execution...

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I guess I like living dangerously, and use my 'kijiji envelope' (or craigslist envelope) for pipe purchases. I've bought all my pipes either from eBay (both new), or through kijiji. I bought a lot of 30 estates without seeing them once. I got my birth year Brigham and my 1950 Peterson from that lot. But many of them were stinkers.
That being said, you should try to hold them before you buy them, see how it fits in your hand and everything.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
You would think that what makes an expensive pipe, expensive, is the totality of mechanical precision, quality of materials used, and creative execution...
Wasn't so much the cost that was the disappointment, but the dot on the stem was. :wink:

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have bought over 100 pipes on line and only had a few lemons over the years. Now when I buy one I make sure it passes a fluffy pipe cleaner with ease. I also make sure I have all the dimensions which tell me how big the pipe is. I want length, bowl height, inside bowl width, inside bowl depth and weight of the pipe. I have certain criteria that I will not compromise on when buying a new or estate pipe.
I would have no hesitation buying a new pipe from smokingpipes.com. I would call them and ask them to check the pipe you are interested in as they will gladly do it.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Most of my pipes have been purchased online. Just not enough selection in the local store. All features in them have been within tolerance, so no troubles there. Would definitely buy online again. Mind, I buy only brand new pipes.
The only gripe was that my Vauen did not come in the original packaging, but Smokingpipes.com replaced it with their own: both the box and the pipe sock have SPC's logo. I was quite disappointed about that. The pipe itself, was fine, with the hole drilled only 1-2 mm to the side. Pipe smokes fine.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Never had a problem buying online, but I buy from sites that have a good reputation both in quality and after the sale service. The members here will not steer you wrong, take their advice.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Online pipe purchases can be a wonderful experience if you do it the right way. Avoid like the plague any online sellers who do not offer no questions asked returns if you are not satisfied with your purchase. That'll prevent you from having to take the "prayer approach." :wink:

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
Awesome ... really appreciate the personal stories and guidance. :worship:
PAD hasn’t set in, but my PAD fund is starting to hit critcal mass (I put away a $20 here and there so i’m ready when it hits; no buyers remorse and no big hits to the bank that way!)
I think I’ll give the online channel a go next round if the local B&M doesn’t take my cash first via impulse buy!
Any favorite online channels besides SP and P&C?

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I recommend any of the sponsors as others have stated, but I have had especially great service from Briar Blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.