PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkbolin

Lurker
Oct 24, 2017
Hello. I recently purchased a pipe online that is an unsmoked Mauro Armellini. It has a wire that's been run through the pipe steam and chamber and closed off outside the pipe.
2017-10-24%2021.34.36.jpg

Can someone tell me what this wire is used for, why it's there?
Thanks, Lee
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization.

lkbolin

Lurker
Oct 24, 2017
Hopefully that link will work. The pipe is gorgeous, it's just got the wire. Not sure if I should cut it or not. I'm wanting to sell it. Thanks, Lee
37913811391_dc8d1de82e_o.jpg

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
It's obviously a lightning rod of some kind. You have to run another wire to your pants when smoking in thunderstorms. OR maybe it was hanging in a display. :wink:

bluegrasspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2017
I can field this one, I am a master electrician.

The wire is used to light the tobacco from the inside out by connecting a high voltage wire and neutral conductor with alligator clips on either side of the circular wire landing terminal. (No old boy lighters necessary anymore.) In a pinch you can use car jumper cables as well. :puffy:

Welcome Ikbolin!!

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
No no no... it is an antenna. The previous owner was a ham radio operator. He carried his own antenna, and used a radio direction finder to ensure he could get home.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Welcome to the forum, Lee.

The wire in the pipe is Armellini's "signature", supposedly to assure the buyer that its genuine, and has been personally inspected. If you are wanting to sell it, DON'T cut the wire............. its more valuable with it intact.

ARMELLINI
Nice Pipe!.............. :puffy:

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
The wire in the pipe is Armellini's "signature", supposedly to assure the buyer that its genuine, and has been personally inspected.
Armellini pipes were sold with the wire or thread running from the chamber through to the slot and had what looked like a wax seal or medallion attached to it.
Kind of hymen :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.