Punked on E-Bay!

(14 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by tschiraldi
  • Latest reply from tschiraldi
  1. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, it finally happened. I've done pretty well on E-Bay. I try to be careful about knowing what I am getting before I buy. Well, I won a bid, at what I considered a great price, on what was described as a GBD New Era. It was hard to see the markings in the pictures, but at the bottom, it listed the markings as "GBD, New Era, London England, 133". I got the pipe today and no "New Era stamp anywhere on the pipe. It actually says "London Made", not "New Era". It's still a great looking pipe and I am sure it will smoke well and the price was minimal, but I am a bit disappointed because I thought I was getting a higher grade pipe at a steal. Live and learn. When it seems too good to be true...
    This is my first GBD and I'll admit it's the one British brand I know the least about, but I think it's still a good deal, so I'll keep it. If any of you GBD collectors can tell me anything about this pipe, I would appreciate accurate information.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/English-Estates-GBD-London-Made-Smooth-Billiard-Smoking-Pipe-133-1950-/162312474587?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=o3mgYQfVk%252FjX%252FI8cVdaETdZbbHM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's unfortunate when a seller lies, which is what happened here. The markings are not what are on the pipe. Personally, though, I think it is a decent price for what you received. If it looks good and smokes well, that's a fine price regardless.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And call me crazy, but these don't appear to be meerschaum lined, either. Leather and Meerschaum?

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ha Ha! No, they sure don't!

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

Well, no offense, but you can see clearly in the pictures, which zoom, that it is a "London Made" pipe and not a New Era.
    However, I think for $35 delivered, you still did OK.
    Coincidentally, I just sold a GBD 133 New Era in the Classifieds section.

Al

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Its a nice pipe for the money. I don't think the seller lied on purpose. He doesn't seem to be a "pipe guy"...... probably listing them from an estate sale or something. He does offer a 14 day money back return if you are not satisfied........

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I know you did, and I would have bought it if I hadn't already bid on this one, and the price was fantastic if it really were a New Era. I saw the "London Made" in the photo, but some markings are hard to see on Ebay photos. Since the description stated "Markings: GBD, New Era, London England, 133" I thought I just couldn't see the "New Era" stamp. I am very familiar with markings from Comoy's and Charatan, but not so much with GBD or BBB (I'm learning). If it's not a New Era, why state that it has that stamping??? I suppose it's as much my own fault for nor familiarizing myself beforehand. Lesson learned.

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh, the pipe is beautiful and I certainly think I got a good price for it. I would be happier if I wasn't anticipating a New Era. I probably would have still bid the same if I had known it was a London Made, but Tearing open the box to see my New Era that I stole on Ebay, and finding out it was something else... sigh.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. pagan

pagan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not a bad looking pipe for the money, My 2cent for future reference stick to the vintage pipes, if it doesn't have the metal GBD roundel give it a pass, but that's just me

https://pipedia.org/wiki/GBD

Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. snowyowl

snowyowl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gee, I've had a nice year on eBay! After my last purchase, the eBay vendor wished me a Merry Christmas (within the EU) and asked me to choose a pipe from his offerings as a gift.

"If you see something... pipe up."
    Posted 2 years ago #
  11. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pagan - I thought it did (Silver, not brass).
    Snowyowl - I, too, have done well on Ebay this year. This was the 1st time I've been stung, and I wasn't badly stung at that. I do like the pipe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  12. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

That one does have the rondel (sometimes they're brass, sometimes silver) and the straight line "London, England" COM indicative of a pre-merger pipe, made before '81-'82. In fact that rondell is in mint condition. I still say you done good!

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It does specifically say in the title "London Made," however, in the comments it does say "New Era." My guess is the seller made a mistake in the comments. It doesn't appear it was an intentional error from what I see by the title and pictures. With that said I think you ended up with a nice looking pipe that will probably be a very nice pipe. Enjoy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Al. We'll see how she smokes tomorrow. I'm thinking Aylesbury Luxury Flake. Let's see if we can make her sing!

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   jpmcwjr, josephcross, ben88, chasingembers, danimalia, thefishguy, ashdigger, loadclear, loneredtree, lochinvar, donjgiles, mikefu