PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzbegone

Lurker
Sep 28, 2013
Hello Folks,
I'm a new member here so this will be my first topic (respectively). I am interested to read any experiences or shared thoughts of fellow smokers who puff at work.
For myself; I always bring my pipe to work, although I'm the only pipe smoker at my job. Usually after lunch break I find a bench to sit at and smoke my pipe alone as I observe the cigarette smokers huddle around in their tribe circle on the pavement. The cigarette smokers have to smoke farther away, because too many employees complain about the stench of their cigarette smoke. I however get compliments like, "Whatever you're smoking smells good" or "You remind me of Grandpa". When I find extra time at work to relax (or slack off), I go to the roof to puff my pipe while cloud gazing. At those times I feel nostalgic for some reason and I end up calling my wife to ask how her day is going. It's kind of a tradition, because she'll tell me to get back to work or to stop slacking off, followed by an "I love you". And finally, when I have a fair amount of tobacco left at the bottom of the bowl, I lock my door, close the blinds, and smoke in my office secretly. So far I've never received a complaint on the odor of my office, but that may be due to the aroma from multiple jars of unsmoked pipe tobacco, plus I keep a lot of chocolate around that blends in very well with the tobacco.
Anyways that is my experience with puffing at work and I would be grateful to hear your stories! Thanks for reading.
-Jonathan

Irving, TX

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
I smoke quite a bit at work. Im a firefighter so it is pretty easy for me to smoke whenever I want to really... No one seems to mind. I have actually converted a bunch of the guys on my crew to pick up the pipe. They are all cigar smokers so it was a pretty easy transition.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
I enjoy the occasional bowl at work. Unfortunately, our entire campus has gone smoke free, so I have to step off the property. But that's okay.
I picked up a Savinelli Kings Cross featherweight. It hold about 10-15 minutes of tobacco, takes up little space, and has started a lot of conversations because of its small size. They are getting harder to find, but if you watch eBay and some of the other places, do show up from time to time.
I wish I could say I could smoke in my office. The stress relief alone would make my job much more enjoyable. But that will never happen. So the occasional break outside, and the 45 minute ride to/from work, will have to suffice.
Cheers!

buzzbegone

Lurker
Sep 28, 2013
@smeigs
You're lucky to be able to smoke a lot like that! I have no cigar smokers at my job just a pipe smoker (me) and a bunch of cigarette smokers. I've tried to convert them to pipe over the years, but they've just deemed me as "Old Man" even though I'm way younger than most of them.
@av8scuba
I know how you feel, I too work in a smoke free building (not that it stops me from sneaking in a few puffs lol). Smokers don't have to be off property though, just can't smoke too close near the entrances/exits. And even though I pretty much only smoke meerschaum pipes, I looked up the Savinelli Kings Cross featherweight. I thought it was going to be a nosewarmer, so I was quite surprised that it actually looks like some kind of mini churchwarden.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Half of my work is clinical - in a hospital lol - so no way there!
The other half is academic - writing research grants etc, which I can do on my laptop at home - then I smoke the pipe almost continuously, and keep in touch with PM forum!!
Take every chance you get to be a piper!! LOL

buzzbegone

Lurker
Sep 28, 2013
@flakyjakey
I can't imagine your pain, but I understand your situation because of your clinical profession. My work involves a bunch of corporate sharks so almost everyone smokes and/or takes a few shots of courage from a flask in the drawer.

texasjo

Lurker
Sep 21, 2013
I'm pretty new to smoking a pipe but I have the perfect job for it! Most of my work involves sitting on top of a hill typing away at my laptop trying to get some piece of cellular equipment working. (I work for a rural cellular company) I'm outside by myself miles from anyone else.
The only problem is remembering to work rather than just relaxing and taking in the view.
Back at the office smoking is out of the question but I spend very little time there.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
Buzzbegone, that's a beautiful meerschaum. I have to get me one. Its colored great. Where can I find one?

buzzbegone

Lurker
Sep 28, 2013
@texasjo
That's awesome and best of all just like you said there is no boss watching over you lol! I too like to slack off at work to puff the old work pipe. I must admit though my boss enjoys catching me and yelling my ears off.
@mp31guitar
I'm a new member here and I only skimmed through the forum rules (I'll read them fully later, but I'm sure I can't be the only one guilty of just quickly skimming) so I won't link what site to buy them from.
I think I can tell you what to type in google though. The pipe I smoke at work is from Sinan Altinok and if you type Altinok pipes on google it will lead to his site. I believe Mr. Altinok is a member here, but he is not a site sponsor. I own several of his pipes from many of his carvers and none have let me down. Another good meerschaum pipe are any that are carved by "IMP" Mr. Altinok also sells some of those as well.
Some of the site sponsors also sell meerschaum pipes like: Milan Tobacconists and MeerschaumStore. I know the site sponsor PipesandCigars has one IMP pipe I've been eyeing (and no I won't be offended if you snatch it up). I think (and hope) it's okay for me to mention them since they are site sponsors.
And finally I have to mention Fikri Baki. Just type Baki pipes in google and it will lead you to him. If you want a pipe that no one else will have then you buy from Baki. To my knowledge, he doesn't carve the same pipe twice and he is the only meerschaum pipe maker that I know of that uses Cumberland mouth pieces. I recently bought his pipe BELL BC329, that I am already puffing, from his seller Deniz URAL, and if you browse his site you will see that it is marked as "SOLD". There will not be another pipe like that carved and owned by another other than me, unless I give it away, sell (which I won't), or God forbid it's destroyed/lost/stolen. Each of Baki's pipes are priceless like that to me anyways.
Here is a pic of my BELL pipe from Fikri Baki.

buzzbegone

Lurker
Sep 28, 2013
@rothnh
Thank you for your contribution and service. I always feel that way towards men and women who are retired from work. That's awesome that you had smoker's area at your job! If my place of employment had such a place, I'd probably just make an office inside there!

Status
Not open for further replies.