PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
We're celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary next week and just made a last minute major change to our plans. We were going to Key West, but the weather looks lousy. So, we switched gears to Puerto Rico (staying at the Marriott Isle Verde Beach Resort). We've never been and wonder:
- the hotel tells me driving is fine, we'll want to rent a car. Has anyone driven in Puerto Rico?

- We do a lot of snorkeling, and will want to take a few boat trips and head to Rincon (2 hours from San Juan) as the snorkeling is good.

- Will my phone GPS (Wayz app) work?
Any other Puerto Rico tips would be appreciated.

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
I have been there a few time for training exercises with short liberty calls. I was single at the time and had the time of my life there with all the European women vacationing there. I will give some advise: 1) Never go anywhere alone and keep mindfull of your surroundings, there are always those kind of people that prey upon tourists. 2) Keep all valuables close (wallet in front pocket) and do not carry all of your cash with you or flash it around.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Al-

We spent a week there in 2012. We rented a house about 20 minutes south of San Juan and LOVED it!

Driving is fine, in San Juan its like any other large American city, though they do use their horns alot! We really didn't spend much time in "New San Juan"--

DO, definitely DO visit Old San Juan! Drive there early in the day and park and walk. Plan on spending the day there, so much to see and do. Its an incredible OLD city with fascinating architecture. Its a nice walkable city, and very safe. Visit the San Cristobal fortress, again really cool.
The El Yunque rainforest is worthy too, if thats your thing. Its a U.S. National park, we spent a day there. Some neat waterfalls and tropical foliage.
We also drove to the south of the Island, on a friends recommendation. about 2 hours as I recall, desolate beaches, NO crowds...... The south of the island is on the Caribbean sea, the north is the Atlantic Ocean. We found a beach with just a few locals there..had a cooler of beer, great relaxing time. We liked it so well there we rented a night in Ponce.
We went to the Bacardi factory too, worth the trip, interesting history, great free samples! Cuba Libre!!
Sorry, can't comment on the snorkeling, but I think Rincon is known for its surfing.
Not sure about the phone thing.... I was on VACATION.....didn't even turn the damned thing on!! :lol:
I'm wanting to go back-- its a great place!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks Beef, you confirmed what I've been reading. We do have some car as it looks like driving is part of the PR experience.
I was wondering about the Southern end of the island, that sounds nice. Rincon on the SW is also on my list (super famous surfing beach and good snorkeling from the beach).
Old San Juan is now also on the list, we stear clear of the urban SJ.
This was literally a last second switch, so I appreciate the input.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
This is definitely worth checking out- http://www.ecoadventurespr.com/bio-bay-tour.html - the bioluminescent plankton- there are 7 bays where they are present- this is the most well known....
...and definitely go to Old San Juan, but don't even think about taking your car in that area- it's like driving in Naples Italy, but with Puerto Ricans- very narrow streets, very aggressive drivers, and you'll see a lot of dented brand new Mercedes that the owners don't bother fixing because they get dinged so often...

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Al, Old Town is a must and there are some stores that hand out free Pina Coladas to sip while you shop.

As for driving, let's just say it's an experience. There are no rules on the highways. Think of a Boston driver driving in New York City with New Jersey plates. Left turns at red lights from the right lane are to be expected etc..

Puerto Rico is a beautiful place but do heed the advice about San Juan at night. You've been in enough big cities so use your Scooby senses. Have fun.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Thanks folks. I spoke to my auto insurance agent today, she recommended the optional insurances in this case...

It looks like my phone works, but data is not consistent. So, I'm bringing along my Garmin GPS, which has a Puerto Rico map (2015). Still I've read to be careful and really don't venture out into the country (or big city) at night.
Waves should be pretty tame at this time of the year, if so, I'll probably rent a board for a day. At 53, that is pretty much all I could take!
I'm considering the Rain Forest trip as well.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My wife just shook her head as I spent 30 minutes packing pipes & tobacco and about 10 minutes on my clothes.

I can buy more clothes in PR, right?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Well, we've been here since Saturday and are really enjoying the island. It is much more diverse than I had thought. So far, we've been to a couple of beaches, done Old San Juan (brief) and today we made the long trip to Rincon. As an old surfer, Rincon is magical and it was amazing. We went to snorkel (Steps Beach) but it was a bit rough, so that activity was limited. We met some interesting folks almost daily, including a family from Baltimore at the top of an observation tower.
We still hope to get to the rainforst/waterfalls at San Sebastian and I'm trying to arrange for a snorkeling trip to the tiny island of Culebra Island.
The water and weather has been fantastic (we like being in the water as much as possible, snorkeling, etc.) Driving hasn't been too bad, certainly less hectic than NYC or Washington DC, so that was a plus.
Rincon Beach was crowded....
11114029_1117438174938843_4727022986099679347_n.jpg

On the observation tower leaving Rincon.
11201911_1117619381587389_3642441075272232144_n.jpg

San Juan is a huge city, we prefer the less populous areas but there is plenty to do here. I'm trying to talk my wife into going here tomorrow night....
10464206_1116838761665451_6218758064588251238_n.jpg

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Looks like a great time Al!

I didn't find the driving there too bad either. Hope you make it to Culebra.........we wanted to go on our trip but ran out of time... :(

Enjoy your trip!! :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.