Pipes Magazine » Pipe Tobacco Reviews

Tags:   

Public Service Announcement Regarding Savinelli's Doblone d'Oro

(51 posts)
  1. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I finally got around to trying this one, and I just thought I could be of service to anyone who has not purchased it yet.

You can feel free to move along...nothing to see here. Save your money. Definitely no need to cellar it.

Jim Inks was probably just having an off day when he reviewed it (yes, it could possibly happen even to him).

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/9107/savinelli-doblone-doro#review68580

Now I must get on with my third bowl of it today...because after all, I do have to finish the tin...can't just throw it out.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 4 months ago #
  2. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Still haven’t tried this one but I do have to in the cellar, both from 2014. I look forward to trying it one of these days.

Posted 4 months ago #
  3. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^ I'm sure it'll only get worse with age.

Posted 4 months ago #
  4. chasingembers

chasingembers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I got 20 tins of it during that Savinelli 15% off sale a couple of weeks ago. Still haven't tried it.

I like coffee exceedingly.
    - H. P. Lovecraft
    Posted 4 months ago #
  5. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^ Yeah I picked up a few tins then as well...great deal.

The common perception seems to be that it is an expensive blend, but being a 100g tin, the price I've typically seen it at isn't really much different than average.

Posted 4 months ago #
  6. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Doblone d'Oro? Never heard of it.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 4 months ago #
  7. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It's nothing like the 1925 version.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  8. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, you saved me some cash then; although Trudope is probably very angry now that he won't be collecting duties on the purchase.

Guess I'll stick with Escudo and Anniversary Kake.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 4 months ago #
  9. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

^ Yeah I picked up a few tins then as well...great deal.

I split that group in half with my wife. She was smoking some of it when I got home and she said she really liked it.

Posted 4 months ago #
  10. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I certainly did not cellar this one deep. The thought never crossed my mind.

Neal
    Posted 4 months ago #
  11. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Glad I caught this it was in my wishlist for my next order, now I can bump up the qty’s on my Frigate

Keep calm...smoke a pipe.
    Posted 4 months ago #
  12. aro222

aro222

Login to Send PM

Thanks Npod appreciate the PM

Posted 4 months ago #
  13. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I was forced to review it at gun point.

Posted 4 months ago #
  14. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

^ That would explain it.

Gunpoint is almost as bad as your abduction and period of captivity for War Horse testing.

Posted 4 months ago #
  15. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

I was forced to review it at gun point.

Did it look like this?

Posted 4 months ago #
  16. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I said I was all done buying tobacco but damn if I didn't get weak and try this blend. I really enjoyed it and believe it will be outstanding with some years on it. I took advantage of the 15% off sale at SP and bought another 39 3.5 oz tins. I paid a really cheap price of 15.36 a tin. This all took place in November of 2018 and now I am really done buying tobacco. I refuse to try something new as it always ends up with the same old story.

Harris
    Posted 4 months ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was a fine blend before MacBarens ruined it. Look for pre 2010 dated tins.

Posted 4 months ago #
  18. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

cigrmaster your slowing down man, I think you should have made it an even number. 100 is always a nice even number as far as tins go, maybe 200 for 50 gram tins, 100 for 100 gram tins. You’ve got 61 to go.
    Personally, as many favorites as I have now, 2 tins of Doblone d'Oro will probably last me the rest of my days, so I’m good.

Posted 4 months ago #
  19. diamondback

diamondback

Login to Send PM

I’ve yet to try that! I’ll stay away from it as much as possible. I think if any more tobacco comes in the house within the next couple months the wife’ll kick me out.

“Well, I can’t cure death. This is bad, Morty. You’re trapped in a dead man. Listen, if the situation keeps darkening, do yourself a favor and pop by Pirates of the Pancreas. Obviously I’m biased, but I think it’s great, Morty. It’s a bunch of *belches* pirates running around a *belches* pancreas. We don’t whitewash it, either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey.” - Rick & Morty
    Posted 4 months ago #
  20. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Horrible, horrible blend. Still trying to figure out how I ended up with 25 tins of it.

Michael
    Posted 4 months ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I almost never drink anymore,since alcohol and coumaadin are an unpredictable combination at least for me, but it was Super Bowl Sunday 2017 and CupoJoes was having a 10% off sale that weekend and during halftime.....

That really is how I got 6 tins.

Posted 4 months ago #
  22. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hawky,

cigrmaster your slowing down man, I think you should have made it an even number. 100 is always a nice even number as far as tins go, maybe 200 for 50 gram tins, 100 for 100 gram tins. You’ve got 61 to go.

I do have 40 tins. I bought the first then added the other 39. I thought 40 3.5 oz tins translating to 80 50m gram, was a decent number. I know it ain't 100 or 200 but for the last blend that I am adding to my cellar it should be plenty.

Posted 4 months ago #
  23. mrenglish

mrenglish

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You say that now, Harris...

Posted 4 months ago #
  24. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

At some point I'll get around to trying some. My wife has nearly finished her first tin.

Posted 4 months ago #
  25. User has not uploaded an avatar

bent1

Login to Send PM

I tried to avoid this thread as my cellar is outa control. But, the next show I attend, I may have to try a sample. By then I’ll have an empty spot that needs filled.

Posted 4 months ago #
  26. rigmedic1

rigmedic1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I ended up mixing it with some Cunningham 1921, which was very good. My take on it is that it is a strong VaPer, a little too strong for me. Cutting it with the Cunningham made it more Virginia Forward, which is more my preference.

Posted 1 week ago #
  27. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Like the people in Seattle who say it rains all the time and is miserable, to keep the outsiders out. It's true, once a blend becomes a celebrity, all the retailers are out of stock forever after.

Posted 1 week ago #
  28. danimalia

danimalia

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bought my first tin a few weeks ago, and I agree. It's excellent, er, pure garbge. Nobody should cellar it, but luckily, if people did, it's made by MB, so hopefully quantities will remain plentiful

Posted 1 week ago #
  29. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

Why do you people do this? I like a tobacco underneath the radar, one of you boogers goes and does this and the next thing you know, some lonely old feeblefester buys forty pounds of the stuff because he thinks he’s immortal and I can’t get it any more. Then, when he kicks off two months later and his mailman finds him by smell, the hazmat crew dumps the lot. Cui bono?

Posted 1 week ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

logs

Login to Send PM

I like a tobacco underneath the radar...

That's probably a wise strategy. It's too hard to compete with hoarders who have good connections and bottomless wallets. The best move is to find some blend they've overlooked and hope it lasts. I have a few secret favorites that bring me happiness because they've been neglected by others despite being excellent. I can still get them relatively easily and at reasonable prices. It's kept me from posting on Tobacco Reviews just because I don't want to risk killing the unicorn (Not that I'm an influencer of any note but still...)

Posted 1 week ago #
  31. haparnold

Hap

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why do you people do this?

Yes, but blends get discontinued all the time, so encouraging popularity is a good thing.

And even if people are acting out of purely selfish motives when they talk up a tobacco, I'm sure lots of people get pleasure simply from appearing to be knowledgeable when they recommend something good to someone else.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 1 week ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

anotherbob

Login to Send PM

So wait everyone seems to be saying that I should quit smoking and the only really sure fire way is to buy a crate of this one and smoke it until I hate pipes? Just making sure I properly read the subtext here.

Posted 1 week ago #
  33. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

some lonely old feeblefester buys forty pounds of the stuff because he thinks he’s immortal and I can’t get it any more

Seriously? If just a few purchases of 40 lb wipes out the supply, it probably isn't a wise tobacco to chase. I have around 340 lb of tobacco. I don't recall ever purchasing more than 4 or 5 pounds of one blend in a single transaction. I also haven't found any blend I couldn't acquire if I put a reasonable effort into it over time. It is a shame the pipe tobacco distributors don't have an adequate inventory to allow the casual smoker to buy 1 or 2 tins of anything they want whenever they want. It pretty much was that way 15 to 20 years ago. Walk into most B&M's and there were gold bags and tins of Penzance and Stonehaven. Times have clearly changed though. Adapt or do without these days.

I don't recall ever looking and seeing Doblone d'Oro unavailable. There were 97 tins available at Smoking Pipes a minute ago when I checked.

Posted 1 week ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

logs

Login to Send PM

It pretty much was that way 15 to 20 years ago. Walk into most B&M's and there were gold bags and tins of Penzance and Stonehaven

That's exactly the way I remember it. The average pipe smoker didn't think about cellaring back then and the advantages of aging pipe tobacco weren't widely known. I practical lived at Iwan Reis in the early 90's and talked pipe tobacco all the time with one of the sales guys. I don't recall anyone discussing cellaring or suggesting you ought to stock up on the Rattrays or Gawith just to be safe. The occasional old coot buying a tub of Granger was as close to hoarding as I ever saw.

Posted 1 week ago #
  35. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

Why do you people do this?

To share a blend that others may enjoy, increase sales, and keep the blend in production for a little while longer.

some lonely old feeblefester buys forty pounds of the stuff because he thinks he’s immortal and I can’t get it any more.

Let's see, I'm 45, have three kids, a wife, two cats and a dog, so not old or lonely. I buy in lots of 10-30 tins, or 5-20 lbs of bulk as in the past thirty years I've seen many favorite blends discontinued. McClelland ring a bell?

Cui bono?

I do of course. My cellar runneth over and I no longer have to contend with rising tobacco costs, new taxes, or legislation that may eventually tell me I can no longer order it online.

It's too hard to compete with hoarders who have good connections and bottomless wallets.

You need neither. I work 12/7 in a very hot environment, am anything but rich, and have over 300 pounds of tobacco that I wanted. Save up for what you want and call those tobacco shops at the top of the page. You'll find what you're looking for.

There were 97 tins available at Smoking Pipes a minute ago when I checked.

There were 107 earlier today.

Posted 1 week ago #
  36. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like your style chasingembers. Your bluntness is refreshing.

Posted 1 week ago #
  37. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

I blame my Hoosier and Hillbilly parentage.

Posted 1 week ago #
  38. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

I'd blame not being able to tell tongue in cheek humor unless someone inserts an emoji.

Bloody hell, some of you boys take stuff pretty darned seriously.

Posted 6 days ago #
  39. chasingembers

chasingembers

Login to Send PM

I'd blame not being able to tell tongue in cheek humor unless someone inserts an emoji.

Lack of vocal inflection is a communication problem with text discussions. Not to mention in recent months we've had a few members throwing tantrums about lack of availability being the work of unscrupulous hoarders. Oh, and emojis do help with us lonely old guys' comprehension.

Posted 6 days ago #
  40. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not to mention in recent months we've had a few members throwing tantrums about lack of availability being the work of unscrupulous hoarders.

We really need a tantrum emoji.

Posted 6 days ago #
  41. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I prefer just seeing tantrums. Some may call me a hoarder. I'd prefer to think I'm just a guy determined to smoke aged tobacco and to have an adequate supply in the event I'm fortunate enough to live to be a ripe old age.

Posted 6 days ago #
  42. mindglue

mindglue

Login to Send PM

I have only 1 unopen tin and 1/3-1/4 tin left in a jar, but I have plenty other blends that I like in my cellar

Posted 6 days ago #
  43. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

I see. There are a lot of things I’ll fight over, but pipes and tobaccos aren’t among them.

Posted 6 days ago #
  44. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Cui bono?

The retailer. The rest is speculation and wistful thinking.

So wait everyone seems to be saying that I should quit smoking and the only really sure fire way is to buy a crate of this one and smoke it until I hate pipes? Just making sure I properly read the subtext here.

That's certainly one construct you can take away from this.

Not to mention in recent months we've had a few members throwing tantrums about lack of availability being the work of unscrupulous hoarders.

We're always having members throwing tantrums over the lack of availability being the work of unscrupulous hoarders, which is ridiculous because most of the hoarders here are quite scrupulous about hoarding.

I've put aside a modest hoard, one that should allow me a few good choices over the next 15 to 20 years, which, given the genetics of my family on both sides, is a conservative estimate. Then again, the '60's is the treacherous decade, and I might wake up dead. So while I choose not to have a stash of the Brobdingnagian proportions are are being waved around here, I do have choices to smoke that are no longer available, including McClelland and Motzek Strang.

On the matter of aging tobaccos, I'm less enthusiastic than I was. Some blends like PS-LBF, or the A & C Peterson made Escudo, really do benefit from aging. Others merely change and I'm not always wild about the nature of that change. And really old tobaccos are largely faded mutant crap. So the joke may be on the hoarders down the road.

Posted 6 days ago #
  45. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

Others merely change and I'm not always wild about the nature of that change

This man speaks sooth. I think the golden doubloons will age to my tastes, though.

Posted 6 days ago #
  46. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I knew it was TIC...because who can imagine Hugo Drax not stocking up for the apocalypse?

Posted 6 days ago #
  47. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

Let's talk, Brian. We have an opening in the Henchmen Dept.

Posted 6 days ago #
  48. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I require a lifetime supply of Black Twist Rope.

Posted 6 days ago #
  49. hugodrax

hugodrax

Login to Send PM

Always wondered how he ended up with the choppers. Tooth decay.

Posted 6 days ago #
  50. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Fortunately I've recently discovered activated charcoal toothpaste.

That combined with a steel wool toothbrush has enabled me to maintain my dazzling smile.

Posted 5 days ago #
  51. trubka2

trubka2

Login to Send PM

We're always having members throwing tantrums over the lack of availability being the work of unscrupulous hoarders

Mea culpa. I don't think I threw any tantrums, but I definitely whined about hoarders on a few occasions when I first signed up here. Please accept my sincerest apologies, Honorable Hoarders. I now have a little hoard of my own, and I'm now very embarrassed about my whining. In my defense, it took a while to figure out the difference between hoarders and flippers, and between flippers who are gougers and flippers who are decent people. I calmed right down once I understood how the market works a little better (not that I really understand it now) and learned to be patient.

And we appear to have done an excellent job of changing the subject broached by OP... I believe he was asking about gold doublets, no? A rather heavy article of clothing, I would imagine.

Posted 5 days ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mso489, lestrout, ajohnb, scrumpyjack, weezell, canadianpuffer, jiminks, sablebrush52, dmcmtk