PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

highwaycobbery

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 14, 2015
North cacallaky
The other day I was sitting in the car enjoying a quick smoke while the wife unit was at a appointment. A guy was sitting in his car about two cars down and kept looking over. Finally, he gets out of his car, walks right next to me, looking straight ahead, not at me , stands there for about five seconds and turns around and goes back to his car. This is not the first time something like this has happened to me and my observation is I bet they think I’m smoking pot. Anyone else had this happen to them?I found it humourous that he would stand that close and not even say hello.

I have never had a negative experience when smoking my pipe in public. I have had mothers bring their children over to smell my tobacco, people ask to set next to me so they could enjoy the smell, and I’ve had numerous experiences where complete strangers want to set down and strike up conversations with me while I smoke. But, never anyone with a negative reaction at all. But, I smile a lot, and nod politely to people in public, so... for what it’s worth. :puffy:

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've had a few of those fake coughs from the weirdos.
I've also had a few people come up and compliment the smell of the pipe or say how it reminds them of their grandfather.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
My experience is similar to cosmic's.
But I am older, clean shaven, and anyone who stares in my direction gets the evil eye.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Since I'm visiting the local watering hole more these days, I always take my pipes with me as they have a smoking area. I used to feel odd, but now I just fire up and don't care. I do get some curious people occasionally. Good remarks.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Same as above. Generally positive experiences with occasional fake dramatic cough from someone. I smoke a pipe almost daily while walking my dogs and my neighbor admitted he initially thought I was smoking something other than tobacco. Maybe it was the glass pipe I was smoking, yikes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Meet your friendly uncover law enforcement officials. After a certain age, even the undercover folks will see you as just an old coot and leave you alone. Sniff-sniff. Obviously your squad needs a canine helper who knows the difference at three hundred feet. "Oh, forget it boss, it's one of those Forums members." Wag-wag. In training, those canine drug sniffing dogs can run through a parking garage and smell a stash of pot (or whatever) in the door panels of one of several hundred cars.

bluto

Aug 24, 2018
Its all because your mama don’t dance and your daddy don’t rock n roll

Jan 8, 2013
I've had a few of those fake coughs from the weirdos.
I get those often. What's hilarious is when they do it without realizing they're twenty feet away, up wind, and the wind is blowing the smoke away away and not toward them.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I mostly get positive responses, sometimes very over the top positive responses. There are also a couple of younger folks on my street who call me 'Gandalf', but most folks just ignore me.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I know you all mean well, but you're putting at risk the traditional old curmudgeon pipe smoker image I've worked so hard to build.
Now, get off my lawn.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Been a long, long time since anybody said anything to me. If they do, my standard response is "You've apparently confused me with someone that gives a shit about what you think."

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Mostly I smoke alone with the dogs however I do occasionally smoke in public. I've had people do a similar move, trying to look nonchalant as they walk over closer to me (I've not been in a car). I think they just want to smell the smoke but may be too shy to actually say anything. In my case I don't think they are suspicious of marijuana, they just want to smell some nice pipe tobacco. This in spite of a thick and full beard and occasionally shaggy hair.

Most people know that marijuana smoking doesn't look like tobacco pipe smoking but maybe in your case it was a dude hoping to find a marijuana connection. "Hey man, that smells dank! Know where I can score some?".

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
I have had all sorts of reactions over the years. I regularly get looks that are hard to work out the meaning off. Sometimes, I get sent a wry smile as if to say "I know what you're up to, buddy!" and I'm thinking..."no you bloody don't." Of course, the smile could mean something else.
I have also had plenty of the amateur theatrics in the form of a pathetic cough. Honestly, I just feel like slapping those muppets.

Status
Not open for further replies.