Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

PSA - Sometimes Your Favorite Blend Stops Being Your Favorite

(29 posts)
  1. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Many of you know that Savinelli Doblone d'Oro was my favorite blend for a long time. I wrote about it many times here. The desert island smoke. The one! The match for old 3 Nuns. The perfect VaPer. And on and on and on ...

A few months ago I discussed how the blend changed for me. It started to taste like a cigarette.

Well. I've tried different pipes and also drying. Then I opened older tins and compared to freshly purchased tin. All the secret Ninja magic and pixie dust haven't worked either. Unfortunately, it's off. No matter what I do the smoke just tastes like an ashy cigarette or something.

So this is a public service announcement of sorts for the new pipe smokers out there. Sometimes your palate just flat out changes. It happens. Don't fret. Tell the tobacco thank you and move on.

Neal
    Posted 3 days ago #
  2. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

That's too bad and hopefully just a temporary phenomena. It's one of my top 10 stocked blends and can't imagine it falling out of favor. But, I guess we never know and it's a chance we take when we build a cellar.

Tim
    Posted 3 days ago #
  3. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Neal, I would not be surprised if you stayed away from it for a year or so, it may fall back into favor. Maybe you just od'd on it and your palette is saying how about some variety.

I just recently found Doblone and smoked it fresh for a few weeks. I haven't smoked it in a while because I am kind of addicted to smoking aged tobacco only. Except for the one open tin of Doblonne I have, I am aging the rest and will check it every few years.

Harris
    Posted 3 days ago #
  4. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

'Sorry an old favorite has lost its luster. What's clicking for you now, anything special? Jar the former favorite and try it in six months or a year. You might be able to mix it with something that will give it some life, if not the erstwhile favorite it has been.

Posted 3 days ago #
  5. cachimbero

cachimbero

Login to Send PM

I have gotten tired of some favorites and have stopped smoking them. A few months later I have tried them again and the old love resumes. Just take a rest and try again in some time.

Posted 3 days ago #
  6. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have 8 pounds of Doblone d'Oro in the cellar.

This is a GREAT blend and I would still recommend it highly to others. But this story shows that sometimes our palates change. Like @timt mentions, it is a chance we take when building a cellar. This is a good example of how tricky it can be to decide what to spend money on when building a cellar, especially for new pipe smokers. I am technically an experienced pipe smoker with a large cellar and many times give a strong recommendation on this or that tobacco as a "sure bet". But we are all human and sometimes there is no guarantee.

Posted 3 days ago #
  7. ryeguy

ryeguy

Login to Send PM

Doblone d'Oro is a blend that strikes me as similar to cheesecake: I love an occasional slice of cheesecake, but I would never want to eat it every day for dessert, and I certainly wouldn't want it three meals a day. Doblone d'Oro just has so much going on, I feel like it would be easy to overwhelm my palate.

But as to palates flat out changing: The fun thing is (if "fun" is the word) you get to go back and retry all the tobacco's you didn't used to like, because you might get them now.

Posted 3 days ago #
  8. spartacus

spartacus

Login to Send PM

The pipe smoking adventure continues. On to new horizons! Good luck in your search for the next Savinelli Doblone d'Oro!

Posted 3 days ago #
  9. dcon

dcon

Login to Send PM

This is one reason that I advocate variety. I have favorites but, I seldom smoke a favorite more than once a week. I find that they remain favorites this way. Variety adds to my overall enjoyment of pipe smoking. I could smoke one blend more often (and some day I may have to) but, with so many tobaccos available, i find it is still enjoyable to change up and even keep trying blends that I may have previously overlooked.

Posted 3 days ago #
  10. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

GOOD GOD, MAN!!! I don't think I have 8 pounds in my cellar combined!

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 3 days ago #
  11. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It will come back for you. Give it good while, I intentionally stay away from my favs and touch on them every few months, staying on the prowl between. I think the only permanent shift I’ve had was a huge disdain for Latakia that’s held for a few years now.

Goo Goo g’joob
    Posted 3 days ago #
  12. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

GOOD GOD, MAN!!! I don't think I have 8 pounds in my cellar combined!

I picked up 2 pounds of Doblone d'Oro during the Savinelli 15% off sale a couple of months back. Total cellar is just over 340 pounds. Still haven't cracked a tin of Doblone d'Oro yet.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 3 days ago #
  13. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

For me, the only way a favorite blend ceased to be was because it was discontinued or bastardized. There have been many over the past 30 plus years!
    Mike S.

Posted 3 days ago #
  14. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

This is an important PSA, Neal, and I thank you for it! Having a weird fickle palate, I take it to heart.

Non Serviam
    Posted 3 days ago #
  15. odobenus

odobenus

Login to Send PM

(That being said, I smoked only one blend for 25 years before it occurred to me that I might like others.)

Posted 3 days ago #
  16. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It happens and it happens unexpectedly. Sorry to hear about it but as stated give it a year and see what happens.

Posted 3 days ago #
  17. daytonsean

Sean

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Bummer

My soul has had enough chicken soup, it needs more TESD podcast.
    Posted 2 days ago #
  18. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Could be a sinus infection. Could be change of season. Could be some pollen in the air. Could be a simple cold. In my experience, a number of things can alter your palette. Give it a month or two and come back to it. Obviously, the tobacco didn't change, something with you did. That's a very high quality blend, you'll like it again.

Posted 2 days ago #
  19. eddiegrob

eddiegrob

Login to Send PM

I have a large cellar accumulated over many years. Some blends frequently fall out of favor with me, either because my body chemistry changes or aging changes to the tobacco (and to me too, btw). Equally, others which I didn't like that much that and been relegated to the back reaches of the cellar, are now back on rotation after I found a new liking for them. Taste in pipe tobacco is of a fluid nature that frequently surprises us.

"Americans are the people who describe their use of alcohol and tobacco as vices" G. K. Chesterton
    Posted 2 days ago #
  20. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Embers, 340 pounds?! I consider myself to be a fairly heavy pipe smoker and I use 6 pounds about a year. 340 pounds would take me nearly 57 years to consume!

Posted 2 days ago #
  21. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I seldom smoke a favorite tobacco more than one maximum two weeks in a row,after this period I use to switch to another blend,
    variety adds to enjoyement.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 2 days ago #
  22. youdancer

youdancer

Login to Send PM

It comes and goes doesn't it. For a year Director's was my go to, now there's no life in the blend for me. Sure it'll change back one day. Right now I'm loving the Sixpence I couldn't stand for ages no matter how many times I went back to it.

Posted 2 days ago #
  23. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

I've smoked Black Frigate for twenty years and it hasn't failed me yet.

Embers, 340 pounds?! I consider myself to be a fairly heavy pipe smoker and I use 6 pounds about a year. 340 pounds would take me nearly 57 years to consume!

There are many people, several of them on here, with easily twice that amount.

Posted 2 days ago #
  24. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Absolutely! The the nice people with the butterfly nets are coming to take them to a nice safe place.

For whatever reason, Neal, you've grown tired of Doblone d'Oro. It tastes like ash. Time to switch it up.

When it comes to pipe tobacco, over familiarity always breeds contempt with me. That's why I've stocked a variety of blends and also why I'm not sitting on 10 or 20 lbs of any one thing. I like to change it up. That helps keep the flavors fresh for me. The amount I smoke a day is about half to one third what it was just a few years ago, and I enjoy my smokes more.

If I never bought another tin (and I'm feeling much less inclined to buy online with the growing states scrutiny combined with the procedural ineptitude of online sellers in addressing it - you guys can get the huge excise tax bills with penalties) I probably have more than I'll live to smoke. I'm not stocking up as an investment vehicle, so my modest cellar will suffice just fine. It has nice variety with sufficient depth for me. If I run out of something, it won't be the first time and I won't care.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 days ago #
  25. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

sable', me too, but I haven't philosophized about it as effectively.

Posted 2 days ago #
  26. bnichols23

Bill Nichols

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Absolutely! The the nice people with the butterfly nets are coming to take them to a nice safe place.

OHHHkayyyy, now, Jesse..... The only reason I'm letting you slide on that is that you're usually not the guy who tells us to heave to & prepare to be boarded.

Bill

Head Black Frigate keelhauler, boss powder monkey, & troublemaker 1st class.
    Posted 2 days ago #
  27. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Neal, I just looked at how much Doblone I bought when it was on sale back in November of 2018. I bought 35 100 gram tins which works out to 7.7 pounds. For a blend that tasted that good and had so much aging potential I figured 35 tins would be a nice number. I will eventually finish the first tin I am smoking from and age the rest for a few years before opening a new tin.

Posted 2 days ago #
  28. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm sitting on a few tins of Doblone and haven't tried it yet. Sounds like I better pop one.
    340 lbs of stash - wow - that would run 15 years if you smoked an ounce a day!

Posted 2 days ago #
  29. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I agree with everyone above.

Remember, the original post was a PSA. This is not the first time my palate changed. I wanted to let some of the newer pipe smokers know that this does indeed happen and even experienced pipe smokers change their preferences from time to time.

It's an important teaching point. Often we read message boards looking for the "holy grail" or "tell me your favorite blend" or "What is good to cell". While there are some very good recommendations, based on experience, it is still important to listen to your own heart when it comes to spending money.

Posted 2 days ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   mumbles, tnfan, weezell, alaskanpiper, tulsagentleman, draco, skeeter456, georged, ebnash, papipeguy