PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I have to say this is a very nice flavored tobacco. The bag note is just amazing. I found it damp (like alot of PS blends) so I dried out 4 flakes for the day. Fist bowl with morning coffee was very nice although I did have some gurgles near 2/3 of the done so I dried the other two flake a little more. The second and thrid flakes were very nice and the flavors concentrated all the way down to the bottom of the bowl. No ashy taste and no bite are two more perks about this flake. I did find that it had alot of base flavors similar to LBF and it had a little sting to it. Me being curious I thought, "I heat treated the other jar of LBF and that toned it right down, what about this stuff?". So I stuck it in the oven at 185 F for about 8hr. I let it cool off in the oven over night.
This morning when I was making my coffee it snapped to me that it was still in the oven. I grabbed it out and took a sniff. It smelled almost the same but more mellow and toasted. It also went very dark like the LBF did. I packed some up and went out for coffee and was pleasantly surprised. It had completly lost that little sting, and it mellowed out the flavors and made a more nutty taste. It went great with my turkish coffee and there is going to be a lot more of this in the orders to come!
If you haven't tried it try it out. If you want to toast it then do nuts on that too because IMHO it made it better. Happy smoking! :puffy:

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
I will have to give this one a try, sounds great, thanks cavendish.

~Ron

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I have a sample of this coming. My understanding is that there is some vanilla in it. If I like it, I'll order some for the cellar. Thanks for the review!

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Make sure you toast in a mason jar. I just had the snap lid sitting on top of the jar without the ring on it. Mine didn't dry out and its perfect for smoking now

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
LTF is a wonderful flake. The best description I have read in a review is that it has the taste of baked milk -- an Eastern European or Ukrainian delicacy. I can imagine that, or simulate it by tasting the skin that forms on scalded milk. I think the Ole Cajun bakes some of his tinned tobacco.
I tried it with Reiner Long Golden Flake and, like you observed, it reduced its sharpness and caramelized the sugars (yum).

For fear of ruining the rubber seal on the Mason jar lid, I replaced the lid with heavy aluminum foil, and screwed the threaded ring on tightly.

I did it at 180° for about 6 hrs., followed by a slow cool down to room temperature.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
Your method seems less harsh than the one I uaed. I will try the lower temp next time since I do find it's a little 'crispy' on some of the edges of the flakes. Still good though!

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Iam confused, did you stove the LBR or LTF? I would like to try this experiment. Iam gald to hear you enjoyed the stoved tobac, hell who knows it may work with both LNF and LTF.
Mike.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I would try it with either LNF or LTF. I guess it would work with most any blend, but I don't know about Latakias or aromatics.
BTW, this thread motivated me to try some naturally aged, 3 yr. old LTF, and it was great. I noticed that time in the jar rounded out

the blend and deepened its flavor, and surprisingly, it produced some strong citrus notes that I don't recall tasting in the original stock.

I can't recall ever tasting an aged Va that developed stronger citrus flavor(s). Maybe I'm the one who changed over that time. :lol:

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
For this heating/toasting process, is the top loosely seat enough to prevent pressure build up in the jar? I can just envision a small contained explosion in my wife's oven. I'd be on "the list" for quite a while if that were to occur.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I've never heard of that happening with Mason jars. We're talking low heat here -- less than 212°F.
I substitute aluminum foil for the rubber lined lid; and even with the threaded ring in place,

I'm fairly confident that the foil would fail before the glass, but I'm no physicist.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
Thanks Cortez, i think i will give it a try, i have plenty of PS LNF,LNF,LTF.. This is food for thought.
Mike.

cavendish

Jan 22, 2013
I'm not worried about the rubber seal becoming damaged or dried out. I have a ton of snap lids and rings. I can stuff alot so I always have a good supply on hand. When I toasted my LBF a while back I checked it about 3hr in. The lid was bubbled up and when I pressed on it it wouldn't stay down. When I loosened the ring it made a hissing sound while it let out excess pressure. I was worried it would blow so I took the ring off and just set the snap lid on top. Maybe next time I will use the tinfoil trick b/s some of the flakes got a little toasty on the edges. I think using the foil will allow some moisture to escape without overdrying the tobacco. Thanks for the tips Cortez!

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
Iam confused, did you stove the LBR or LTF? I would like to try this experiment. Iam gald to hear you enjoyed the stoved tobac, hell who knows it may work with both LNF and LTF.
Mike.
Now I'm confused. What is LBR?

Status
Not open for further replies.