Pruss' & Brdavidson's Big Adventure! - Chicago Show Report (Super Pic Heavy!)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
The smell of stale smoke is oozing out of my luggage and mingling with the aroma of open tins from my pipe bag; together they're traipsing across the floor of my room to wake me. Echos of laughter, tall tales, and shared memories flit in and out of my mind: I'm still high on the experience. It's time to make coffee. Happy Monday, pipers. The Lakeshore Smokestacks are back from Chicago!
This trip was months in the planning, and was initiated early on Friday morning, 15 miles east of Toronto, Ontario, Canada, when Brian (brdavidson) arrived at my place at 3:00am for us to begin our 10 hour road-trip to St. Charles, Illinois. 45 minutes later found us on Chris' (damnyak's) front door, and shortly thereafter we were on the road!
I won't bore you all with the ribald road tales of three nearly 40 year-old "men", but it is safe to assume that much of our conversation was spent anticipating what the CPCC show would be like, what our "goals for the show" were, and what kind of pipes and tobacco we wanted to come home with.
This was our first pipe show.
I was going to Chicago looking for pipes. I spend all year buying, refurbishing, and re-selling pipes so I can add one or two key pieces to my collection. Over the last year I've been refining my pipe collection and have discovered my fondness for Bulldogs & Rhodesians (normally bent), and Canadians/Lumberman or long-shanked Billiards and Lovats. In addition, I REALLY like group 1 and 2 sized factory pipes from the early 20th century. So that's where my mind was as we trekked westward across Michigan, dodging deer carcasses and laughing at the significant number of "Adult Superstores" being advertised on highway billboard signs.
In addition to buying, we were also hoping to meet up with as many of our pipesmagazines.com/forums friends as we could; as well as tracking down carvers, blenders, e-tailers and email pen-pals for a bowl, a beverage and a bullshit session.
Chicagoland Pipe & Tobacciana Show, you over delivered.
Many have said this. Many will say this again. If you're on the fence about attending a pipe show, stop poking yourself in the butt and go. Just go. Here's why...

Chris outside the main hall of the event.

The smoking tent, which clearly had sides that opened up, but due to the less-hardy nature of our American cousins and their desire for warmth was kept closed for the entire weekend allowing O2 levels to drop to dangerous levels. Average visibility? 15 feet. Instrument landings only.

The tent on arrival, pre-show swap meet underway.
We arrived at Pheasant Run on or about 1pm local time on Friday, after nearly 11 hours in the car and on short-sleep. We were all excited, and fatigued, but anxious to get into the smoking tent and see what was up for grabs during the pre-show. It was great to see so many people whose work I have been following online, and to see what other restorers are doing with their work. Frankly, the pre-show was too much to handle given that my personal fuel tank was fumes. So Brian, Chris and I agreed to grab a table, and a beer, and have a pipe.
Shortly after getting situated we heard a familiar voice, in the form of a quick joke, from over our shoulder. Sure enough, on turning around, Mr. Brian Levine was entering the tent. What started with a handshake and greetings turned into an entire afternoon of hanging out with Brian. And over lots of laughs, a few bowls, coffee, water and the odd beer (for me), Brian introduced us to some wonderful people. During the ensuing five hours we met and chatted with Tad Gage, Fred Hanna, Per Jensen, Mike Parks, Antoine Grenard and a host of others.
What a rich experience, which told the tale for how the rest of the weekend was going to go. Here's my biggest learning from the WHOLE Chicago experience. Pipers are awesome people. No matter who they are, or where they're from, or how many shows they do per year, every single person I met was, universally, genuine and friendly. Brian didn't have to hang out with three smelly Canadians all afternoon, but he did, and we all had a ball hanging out.
Per Jensen spent almost two hours at our table and, quietly, pulled out a tin of the new HH Latakia Flake and offered up samples. We all smoked a bowl together while Per told us about building the blend. A little later, Per pulled out another tin, this time unmarked, and asked us if we'd like to try something different. This is a blend in development that he just wanted some initial feedback on... I don't know what's in it, but I can tell you that it was bright, fruity, floral and easy to smoke, and that I was thrilled to be able to sit next to Per and shoot the breeze about what I did and didn't love in tobacco.

After five hours in the tent, it was getting on towards dinner and the three of us trekked back across the compound (Book a room in "The Tower"! It's central to everything and doesn't require hiking boots to get to the tent/show) to clean up before dinner.
The free CPCC buffet was fantastic, with thanks to Sutliff Tobacco for sponsoring the dinner. There was more than enough food for the 500 or so hungry mouths, and a gift of two 50g tins of tobacco waiting for each diner at their table setting.
The three of us fell into our seats to feed, it now having been hours since eating anything substantial and with energies flagging. We fed. We fed hard. A few bites into the salad I heard voices speaking Danish and a woman with a sing-song accent asked politely in English if her party could join us for dinner. I looked up and said, "Of course! Please do!" Only to find myself greeting a party of four containing Tom Eltang. Too much! Six hours into our arrival in Chicago and we're having dinner with Tom Eltang, after having hung out with Brian Levine, Per Jensen, and Michael Parks all afternoon... wonderful.
My last quest for the day was to meet up with forum member "Allan". Allan and I had been texting back and forth in the hopes of meeting up, and we were able to do so prior to Rick Newcombe's presentation on pipe smoking in the movies. As most of you know from his posts, Allan is a wonderfully warm and friendly man. He greeted me like an old friend and we had a short chat before being joined by his friend Roger from the NYC Pipe Club, Brian and Chris. While I attempted to stay awake until the PipesMagazine.com panel discussion at 10pm, I kept falling asleep during Mr. Newcombe's presentation, and decided to retreat before snoring ensued.
That was Day 1. Whew.
Day 2. A new morning, and after over nine hours of much needed sleep we three were ready to get the trade show started. We were among the first thirty people into the Mega Centre and were staggered by the sheer size of it all. Over 340 tables, all full, of everything you could ever want in pipes, tobacco and ephemera. Want to watch someone hand-roll a cigar? Done. Need a rare pipe tamper from a 40 year old factory? Done. Looking for a brand new American made factory pipe with some awesome design? You got it. Feel like shooting the breeze with your favourite carver? Okiedoke. This place is Disneyland for pipers.
Panorama

Castellos

Estates

Artisan Stands/Rests

Collections

As mentioned earlier, meeting up with forum friends and carvers whose pipes I've purchased was high on my list of priorities. These photos might give away my show purchases a little bit, but here are some of the pictures of folks I got to spend time with on the show floor.
me (left), brdavidson (centre), damnyak (right)

Roger (left), me (second from left), brdavidson (second from right), Allan (right)

brdavidson (left), me (middle) and lonestar/Ryan Alden (right)

Jeremiah Sandahl & Yours Truly

With Rad Davis

So we hit the show floor. Hard. My first stop was to find Rad Davis. He and I had exchanged emails the week before the show, when he had sent out his email blast showing off the pipes he was bringing to the show, and I had reserved my first "Rad" from him. What a wonderfully friendly, and down to earth guy. It was a treat to meet him, and I am thrilled with my pipe. It is a monster of a pipe, and sits somewhere staunchly in-between a bent-egg and a Rhodesian in terms of shape. I love it, and I think of the Old Cajun every time I see it just because it's massive and he loves big pipes. So here is my first purchase of the 2014 CPCC show:

After spending almost half of my spending money on this pipe, I needed to pace myself and scan the floor. Still on the list, group 1 or 2 early 20th century factory pipes, and perhaps a Canadian to go with my Rad-desian. There was a TONNE to see.

Right near the entrance to the hall brdavidson found a gentleman from the CPCC who was selling of about 20 group 1 and two sized British factory pipes. My eye was immediately caught by two Sasieni pipes, one a smooth billiard, and the other a "Ruff Root" Canadian. I bent to inspect both, and low and behold both pre-date WWII with the smooth being 1935 or earlier, and the "Ruff Root" likely dating between 1935 and the start of the war. Both have crisp nomenclature with easily discernible patent #s. I bought both and I think that the gent was as happy that I'd be smoking these pipes and taking care of them as he was with the bills in his wallet.

After a short pause for a coffee, sandwich and a regroup we ran into Allan and Roger again, and wandered off to the smoking tent for a gab session and a smoke. Allan, Roger and I all pulled out the Semois samples we had picked up and loaded up our cobs for the first taste of this tobacco with an intriguing story. I'll let the other guys share their opinions, but Semois is DEFINITELY not for me. To me, this tobacco tasted like cigar wrapper which had been moderately aged under the arm of a 14 year old basketball player. It was bitter approaching harsh, carried a heavy nicotine load and finished with a long and unpleasant linger. I smoked 3/4 of the bowl and then moved along.
On re-entering the show it was my mission to find more folks from the forum, and find a larger Canadian to add to my pipe collection. So we headed down to the Smoker's Haven tables where Premal was sampling their wonderful tobaccos, but also where Smoker's Haven was helping sponsor up and coming carvers. This is where we met Ryan Alden, forum member Lonestar. I was unprepared for how big Ryan is. I mean, I don't EVER feel small. I felt small. Ryan is a friendly, welcoming and open dude who was a real treat to meet. He also had some KILLER pipes for sale, and I was immediately struck by a blasted Canadian with horn treatment on the stem. Ryan and I chatted for a bit, and I knew that I had to have that Canadian. Ryan and the pipe agreed, and I had my fourth pipe of the day.

The last purchases for me needed to be tobacco. You see, here in Canada we're paying $38 for a 50g tin of tobacco. While we can, and do, order online the idea of taking advantage of some show specials and not paying shipping was highly attractive.
Given the great time I had spent jawing with Per Jensen on Friday, and also given how much I enjoyed the HH Latakia Flake, I decided to put my $$ into MacBaren tobaccos. Crossing back into Canada meant that I had a small personal exemption and duty free import limit on my tobacco purchases. Anything over 200g (except for the small amount of open tin tobacco I had for personal use) was going to be dinged for duty and taxes. I was ABSOLUTELY going to declare my tobacco purchases. Nothing stinks worse than being in a pissing match at Customs. So I bought 2 100g tins of Vintage Syrian, and 3 100g tins of Latakia Flake from Per, to go with the two 50g tins of Sutliff 1849 I had already received. This put me in at a total of 600g of tobacco for a total spend of $60. Factor in the duty and taxes I paid at the border and I came home with the equivalent of $456.00 (Canadian Retail) of tobacco for just over $100.00. Score!

Finally, after a long day on the floor of the show the three of us headed up the road for traditional Chicago deep-dish pizza (at the recommendation of Brian Levine). Sure enough, the pizza and the local wheat beer were excellent; and about 20 minutes into our meal Mr. Levine and his team from Brigham USA arrived. We saluted each other from across the restaurant, with a knowing nod about how good the place was. Low and behold, not five minutes later our server arrived with a round of beers courtesy of Brian. What a classy move. Mr. Levine, you're a class act. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
Saturday night was spent in the tent with damnyak, brdavidson, Walt Cannoy, Jeremiah Sandahl and a gent named Nathan from the GKCPC (if anyone knows Nathan from the club, please let him know how much the Canadian guys enjoyed hanging with him). We had more laughs, good conversations with Nathan about running a pipe club, and mostly just puffed in happy camaraderie. I broke in Ryan's Canadian at the table that night, with Haddo's Delight. Ryan, this is an awesome pipe. The draw is wide open, the button is excellently formed and is a wonderful width. Clenching is easy, and the pipe is SO LIGHT. I love this pipe!
We did one last rotation around the show floor on Sunday morning before hitting the road. We were weary, but rich, full on life and friendship and joy at having been able to hang out together and explore, and find exactly what we wanted; memories, stories, pipes, tobacco and friends.
To everyone of you who encouraged us to go... Thank you. For those of you who are thinking about attending a show... Just go.

Home again, home again.

-- Pat/Brian

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'm going to go back and spend more time with these photos, but I just wanted to say THANK YOU for taking the time to shoot and then post all of these photos! Greatly appreciated.
Bob

rickpal14

Lifer
Jun 9, 2011
Great post and a joy to read!!! I was hoping to get to the show but as usual life got in the way.... :(
Glad you guys had a great time!!!

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
Pat, killer write up Brother. What a weekend. My Brain would not shut off last night, whirling with the past 36 hours, and probably a bit of nicotine withdrawal. So many funny stories and great conversation. A lot of fantastic Canadian ridicule from Mr.Levine, and a lot of new friends.
Such a great time.
-Double-Goofy.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
What a fantastic review of your weekend. Thanks so much for the great photos and your experiences meeting some of the finest people ever. This is the first time in years that I have not attended the show and your photos filled that void of not being there in person. Hopefully you will be able to attend other shows in the future. The West Coast Pipe Show in Las Vegas is not to be missed. Great show, and fantastic venue.

The Alden Canadian and the Rad Davis pipes are AMAZING. Thanks for sharing.

:clap:

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
Looks like you had a killer weekend....and now I feel like I was there too. Thanks for documenting it.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for all the kind words, gang. I'm already planning next year's trip.
So many funny stories and great conversation. A lot of fantastic Canadian ridicule from Mr.Levine, and a lot of new friends.
Exactly this. It was awesome to get to hang all weekend, bro. Thanks for making this weekend fun.
By the way I love how you photoshopped you and "brian" in the same photos.
We did that just for Peck.
-- Pat/Brian AKA "Johnny Large Tin"

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Pruss what a story , great pictures, The Pipes, The Pipes , I"ll arm wrestle for that Rad, every pipe you purchased is a winner in my book, Thank You for the Pictures, story. A real Treat.

Dec 24, 2012
What a great thread. Man, I so I wish I could have made this. Come hell or high water, I want to get there next year. Some of those stands are killer . . . and the pipes you snagged . . . just awesome.
A killer write up. Kevin should hire you, lol.

Dec 24, 2012
By the way, I have been gazing at that pic of Rad Davis and I can swear I see Harris standing behind him giving him a reach around. Can you confirm?

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I'll post my very different account of the show (although equally positive) later when I get near a computer. I have to say that Pat (Johnny Big Tin) nailed it with this post and for his praise of Ryan Alden's work, I picked up a straight dublin that is stunning. Updates to follow this afternoon.
Brian/Pat aka Fluffy Time

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
The Pipes, The Pipes , I"ll arm wrestle for that Rad
Can't do it, Brad. I wanna keep it! :lol:
Man, I so I wish I could have made this. Come hell or high water, I want to get there next year.
We had more than a few, "Oh crap... can you imagine if Peck were here," moments. You were missed, pal. Don't worry, if work gets in the way again next year we'll just kidnap you.
By the way, I have been gazing at that pic of Rad Davis and I can swear I see Harris standing behind him giving him a reach around. Can you confirm?
Short guy with eyes too close together, knuckles dragging and a weird grin with just a touch of drool at the corner of his mouth? If that's Harris, then it is entirely possible.
-- Pat/Brian

mike73

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2013
Great write up. I don't know what I would have did with all those big names just coming over and hanging out. You guys had one hell of a weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.