PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Four months ago we got three turkey chicks. My son who is 12 raised them for his first 4-H market animal project. He found two private buyers who he sold two birds for $75 each. Saturday was the Jr. Livestock auction. The turkey he auctioned weighs 27 pounds and sold for $45 a pound! His chickens won first and second place ribbons. His six year old brothers Polish buff lace wing chicken won first place and grand champion for breed.
IMG_1536 by Jay Hann, on Flickr

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
Congratulations! I've often wished I could have grown up in 4-H. Always enjoyed going the the stock shows when I lived out West.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Congratulations! That's awesome. Most 12 year olds just want to sit in front of video games all day.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
4-H is an awesome organization. I wish I was in it when I was a kid also. He spends plenty of time playing games and other things kids of his age do. He was starting to get over the whole caring for three turkeys who eat, drink and poop a lot. He learned a lot and after all was said and done he was very happy with the experience. School starts in two weeks and he told me he can't wait to write the what did you do over summer vacation essay.
Then last night he came to me and said he had a whisker on his chin and asked me to teach him how to shave. They grow up fast don't they?

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Wonderful post. I grew up in farm country in Iowa. I completely understand this post. Good on you!

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
That's awesome. I was at the Ohio State Fair last weekend. Such a cool thing to see hundreds (if not thousands) of kids still involved with Ag.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I regularly go to the 4-H judging at our state fair. The young people really have their hearts in it. My wife grew up on a farm in Missouri and did various projects including a fire safety stint advising people in the county about appropriate lightning safety for their barns and houses, lighting rods and such. She can still rattle off the 4-H oath, in her sleep as it were. That is an impressive turkey. That used to be inexpensive poultry, but no more. A good bird, or even just breast or drums, costs a fair bit. Great young farmer there. He knows a thing or three about turkeys now. Because of the long growing season, our state fair is in October.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
... my wife reminds me she also raised a calves, a blue ribbon Holstein and a red ribbon Guernsey, won a blue ribbon at the state fair with a mahogany chiffon cake, did some sewing projects, and other projects. The faces of kids at the judging at the fair are inspiring.

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Excellent job by the young gent!!

For 25 years in South Texas I always bought a turkey project at the JWCF.

The first year that they started processing/freezing I picked ours up right before a Thanksgiving trip to Columbus Ohio.

The guy scanning bags at the airport asked me what it was he was seeing on his screen? He said it looks like a turkey?!!

I told him “Bingo!! I paid $265 for that turkey and by God it’s going to Ohio to get cooked!!”

He said...”Have a nice trip.”

Status
Not open for further replies.