PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
My son was home sick for a few days on antibiotic therapy for a touch of Right lobe Pneumonia recently . For the last 2 days he has been sitting in my shop working with the new dremmel set I gave him . I noticed him being quite secretive , so I crept up on him to discover he has been working on a gift for me :) . He took a corn cob from friday nights supper and made me a pipe . Cob bowl , shank made from one of his Oak promark drumsticks . And the stem was a blue swirl I had and never used . He asked for it recently , and I never thought about it and said sure . I was truly proud of this , and it smoked DARN good !! Here's my gift .

forumpics126_zpse08f3cec.jpg

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
He is 10 , and dried it in the oven . He said he wraped it in foil and baked it at 180 degrees for 30 min , then microwaved it for 30 sec. I may be biased , but brilliant ! He said he read it on a web page he found from google lol .

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
:worship: Ten year olds Rock!

Quite ingenious using the drum stick for a shank.

It's awesome when your offspring begins to reason out problems and plan.

You must be very proud.

:puffy:

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
absolutely Josh , @ Lawrence , I sure am . He even told me that he knew the drumdtick would work because oak is a hardwood , lol . I got a shop full of tools and a lathe thats never used . Time to learn how to make pipes I guess ? Im still hooked on fixing the old ones though . Maybe he will be the pipe maker .

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Cajundad, your son is a very impressive young man.
I was thinking your son was in his twenties, until I saw your post giving his age. Now you have to get him some blocks of briar.
That pipe is a treasure beyond measure.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
That is such a cool gift... Your son definantly has some skills. Who knows, maybe the next great pipe maker is living under your roof... Congrats and Enjoy!! :puffy:

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
You know I didn"t have my coffee and smoke this morning when I read this and wondered how did he make a shank with a drumstick , thinking chicken LOL, good hands , good heart ,you are a lucky man. The old cajun :clap:

roudoudou

Might Stick Around
Aug 24, 2012
Montreal
Wow! Creative, problem solver, autonomous, good hands!!

I'm quite impressed! He will go far.
Yup, you must be a proud father.
PS: I hope that pneumonia is gone forever.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
But what I'm really thinking is how that kid did his research and knocked something together for his old man. And, as a dad, what can be more special than that?
Keep him, CD. But teach him how to use that lathe and any other tool he needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.