PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Well here's a geek at work for you. When smoking while driving I would hold the pipe in front of the AC and cool the bowl when it got a little warm. I noticed a return to the flavor of the first few initial puffs. So.... Im building a box to set the pipe in when at home to cool it while at my desk.
Still in the building stage but the basic design is in my head. A Peltier, Heat Sink, and a PC fan mounted around a wood cigar box. Cutting a slot to slip the pipe in and some dowel rods to rest it on above the peltier should suffice to see if this works. A peltier can reduce temps to below freezing by way of the thermoelectric effect
TheCooler.jpg

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Huh, that's pretty interesting. Update us when it's done and when you have used it. Could be cool for a quick fix at the desk.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I would try a jacketed bowl wrap with chilled glycol running through it. The hoses might be a tad cumbersome, but maybe you could glue some wireless technology to it.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Seems a tad overkill, but there's nothing wrong with tinkering around albeit I don't really see a need for it. But... what the hell. Aside from that, and I might very well be wrong here, but wouldn't a sudden cooling of the bowl produce condensation and therefore unwanted moisture? Also, if the bowl is getting that hot couldn't a sudden drop in temperature possibly cause the bowl to crack?

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
Good points phil67, Ive actually thought of the condensation and the cracking issues myself. Therefore the meager unsightly attempt at such a project.
My thinking is I dont let my pipes get that hot to start with and the goal is just to bring them down in temp from warm to room temp or slightly below so Im not too worried in that regard. Im basing this on my holding a very warm pipe in front of the car AC as Im driving. I have no real expensive pipes as yet, so not much risk here. The condensation question is quite valid but the only way I know to see is try it out.
This thing has a seriousness to it but how could you not laugh at the thing as well. A "tad overkill" you say? Hahahahahaha

Should earn me a permanent seat in the Pipers Geek Squad.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
hey someone thought taking bread and sticking it into a burning object was overkill seeign as it was already cook. you never know what the next big thing will be. i have an idea for a self powering computer mouse.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
First test run on a weak 6v battery is the peltier got down to 46 degrees and the hot side did not get above room temp, about 74 degrees. I did get a reading of 30 something once when the lid was closed for a couple minutes. The peltier and fan are designed for 12v both so this will change a lot of temp as will the insulation effects of being able to shut the lid with a pipe bowl inside and stem sticking out. Even a new 6v would do better since both are running off the same battery. 12v is gonna be the way to go I think.
So it works but no real cooling noticed of the pipe bowl on this test run.
Hawke- Geek Squad Leader :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.