PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
I don't know about you guys, but I have gotten into a mentality where I try to protect my tongue at all costs. Tongue health is crucial for an enjoyable smoke. I recently stopped drinking Soda for health reasons, which was tough as I love Dr. Pepper, but I have found my smoking experiences to be so much more enjoyable as the sugar in soda makes my tongue raw. Sugar tends to build up on my teeth making them like sand paper which irritates the tongue, so I have changed almost exclusively to water. I think about what I am eating and drinking and am much more careful with hot foods, so as to not burn my tongue, and thus harm my future smoking endeavors. Anyone else actively think about such things in the context of their smoking?

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Hey fellow pipers now that i think about it i do make it a point to brush my teeth vigorusly.Always spending a good amount of time brushing my tongue.Makes sense to me as i do love a smoke and want to be able as well to be around to enjoy it.I also enjoy a good glass a cold water when im puffing some good tobacco.It just helps to taper things down a bit.happy puffs.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Good advice Dave. When it comes to pipe smoking, the tongue is everything.
I don't drink soda, but I do I drink cranberry juice (30%) + seltzer (70%) (this is a nice compromise for me).
I do take good care of my teeth, etc. Most nights I have my routine. I will use a waterpik type device, sonic-care brush and tea tree oil as a rinse.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
I hear ya Dave. I have been very careful to learn not to burn my tongue when smoking and I don't eat that much really spicy food anymore as it kills taste buds. I usually have coffee with my pipe or tea.

On another note about dental health, I had a 6 month cleaning and the dental hygienist said everything looked good. She has no idea I smoke a pipe.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I hear you Dave,smoke on left side, been switching to right.Do the Biotene brush and mouth rinse,going back to water and flossing. It's a smart move you are spot on.

Mar 31, 2014
Since I've started smoking, I give hot foods more time to cool down and avoid spicy foods. I also found spicy foods to dull me senses and after burning my tongue once, I was not able to taste for several days. Not being able to taste food didn't bother me nearly as much as not being able to taste my tobacco.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
Good thread idea. I too started to change my eating habits once I started piping to make the experience better. I almost completely cut out candy/sugary sweet or sour things and most soda as well. The feeling sweets leave in your mouth ruins piping.

nardzorb

Might Stick Around
Mar 19, 2014
I thought this thread was about tongue bite.
I will never give up spicy foods!
As far as what to avoid, some of it is mentioned already, but as far as taste, coffee, beer, water orr544444444444444444444444444766666666 (cat on keyboard) with pipe tobacco, those things only enhance each other.
Drooooool

verse

Lurker
Mar 6, 2014
I am realizing that oral health in general is a part of enjoying the pipe. My first few months of smoking I blew the roof of my mouth clean off, more than once...took weeks to recover. I eat less spicy foods and don't suck on the pipe like I'm at the teat.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
Diet Dew & Diet Dr. Pepper are 2 of the 4 diet drinks I really like & have 1 or 2 a week. If that kills me then that is God's will. Spicy foods, will eat forever.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've never given it a thought. I love my adjika, jalapenos, etc. too much to give 'em up. I suspect 50 years of tobacco smoke wafting across my taste buds has not done them any good either. Still, I do taste the difference between aromatics and English blends, I suppose that's sufficient. So, I just enjoy the pipe, revel in the nicotine and muddle on into the future.
The pipe is not a hobby so much as it is a habit. I try not to overly complicate smoking. I find a few pipes that feel right and smoke well, a couple of tobaccos in the arsenal and I'm good to go.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I drank my last pint of rubbing alcohol last week. That might sound like an easy thing to do, but keep in mind that I had kicked the Sterno habit only a month before that! I'm committed to some serious health upgrades this year.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Spicy foods are supposed to be beneficial, within reason, or so I've heard. Dental health and your tongue

are crucial for eating, communicating, and heart health too. With pipe smoking, moderation is probably

the key, to get the benefits and not create problems.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
I have given up soda over the last few months and it has made a noticeable difference to my tasting ability but to my overall health as well. You never realize how bad it is for you until you give it up and see how well you run without a bunch of artificial chemicals in you. However. No way in all hell am I giving up spicy food. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.