PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

balcifer

Lurker
Jul 9, 2013
Found out that some of my favorite tin and pouch tobacco is also available for sale in bulk so I was thinking of getting some bulk tobacco for the Christmas holidays. Can anyone give me some advice about purchasing bulk tobacco such as brand or blends I should give a try and store the tobacco. I am going to buy one or three mason jars that will be able to hold 4oz to 8oz of tobacco. At the same time what I should look out for when buying bulk tobacco when it come quality of the tobacco so I don't get a bad batch.

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
When I first started smoking, I went on the assumption that tinned tobaccos were superior and pretty much avoided all bulks. Now that I've learned a few things, bulk tobaccos offer a much better value and the quality is certainly there with the reputable manufacturers. Mason jars are certainly the way to go and very fool proof. Simply fill em up and put a lid on it, store out of direct light in a cool place and you are good to go for years.
Hearth and Home, Gawith, McClelland, Cornell & Diehl are just a few of the brands I keep around. The only real difference I've found is that certain tobaccos such as flakes, tend to be more uniform cut in the tinned format, but not really that big of a deal. There's plenty of great bulk tobaccos in every variety. As long as what you buy, be it internet order or from a B&M, as long as the tobacco is at the right moisture level and not dried out, jar it up and don't worry about it. Of course not all tinned blends are available in bulk so I tend to buy and cellar away a good deal of both varieties.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Most of my favorite flakes only come tinned but a few do come in bulk and tinned versions. The bulks I cellar are Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake, St James Flake and Full Virginia Flake. All three bulks come in nicely formed flakes and I do not detect any difference flavor wise compared to their tinned versions.
The one flake I buy in tins even though it comes in bulk is Dan Tobacco Hamborger Veermaster. I got a pound of that in bulk and was not very pleased at how the flakes were all broken up and the amount of shake in the bag was totally uncalled for. I decided to cellar the tins instead of the bulk after that one pound.
When it comes to other cuts of tobacco, I really do not see any reason not to cellar bulks. I used to cellar some C&D blends and those were all fine in bulks. The price difference is certainly a consideration so if you are not smoking flakes then I would go with bulks every time over tinned versions.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
While I have not experienced it, some members have stated the bulk of the same blend might not quite up to the same standards as the tinned.
That being said, I smoke a lot of bulk and thoroughly enjoy it. Happy puffing! :puffy:

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
I like receiving the tins and cans and seeing the packaging of it. I'm not a bulk guy unless its a really good deal or is only offered in bulk.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
I'm almost exclusively bulk. I've bought around a half dozen tins in the last year and that's about 6 more than in the last 5 years. (Forum reading leads to inefficiencies. :) )
For years, I smoked LNF and would order 4 at a time about twice a year. I did nothing about putting it in another storage device. It has a heavy plastic and the tobacco was the same moisture as a newly opened one. Because it is stored in a box, every slice is perfect.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I buy both, but have a tendency to save the tins for "good".
Buying bulk blends enables me to buy small amounts to sample without a lot of outlay. About 70% of my cellar is bulk.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
I prefer bulk, for the cost savings. However, one consideration that's not often thought about, if you want to sell a blend in the future, say on Ebay, than tinned tobacco is the better choice. I think selling a sealed tin is preferable to selling bulks.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I've tried EMP in both tinned and bulk and to my taste buds, they are close enough for jazz
I've read about the complaint about flakes being broken up in bulk and I'm wondering what's the difference if you are crushing them or cube cutting them in the end anyway?

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I primarily buy bulk. I enjoy Gawith Hoggarth, and buy 500 grams at a time, which come vacuum sealed in a box. Price is pro, no con.

balcifer

Lurker
Jul 9, 2013
SmokingPipes.com got a new batch of bulk tobacco starting with Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River and Plum Pudding available in bulk. Stokkebye Highland Whiskey looks very interesting will order a 4oz of each to try out first.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
I buy a lot of bulk tobacco, and I jar it right away.

You can ask the seller to "double bag" your tobacco, I have done this

with 4noggins. I will also say that 4noggins uses a high quality thicker Mylar bag

to start with. Which is nice and handy with tobacco odour, that I find in warmer weather can smell outside of the package, if that is a concern.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I cellar bulks and tins. My McClellands are all in tins, though I recently found a couple of bulk McC blends that I plan on cellaring. I also have a small stack of tinned H&H Black House.

For the most part, my cellar consists of bulks. I cellar several H&H blends as well as Lane, Scotty's, some local B&M blends and some codger blends, all in jars. I find all of the bulks I cellar to be of high quality. Tins are by far much more convenient than bulks, as you don't have to buy and fill jars, but for me it's worth the added expense and trouble when you consider the cost savings with bulks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I smoked more than a few bowls a day, I think I would be more pressured to buy only bulk. As it is, I really

appreciate the savings of bulk, and I preserve most of my bulk tobacco in sealed canning jars. But I still enjoy

buying tins, aging them for a while, and enjoying a wider array of blends than if I just bought bulk.

balcifer

Lurker
Jul 9, 2013
I live in Montreal Canada and emailed my local B&M shop that still sells bulk tobacco and a 50gr amount is about $25 dollar about the same price of a 50gr tin of Mac Baron or Peterson. I am thinking of ordering online the big question for me will be the custom duties on a 200gr or 8oz shipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.