PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouchy

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2011
stanwell will be my next two pipe purchess'.

they offer the same pipe design in two offerings. one lightweight and the other of normal.

so, am considering both advantages and dissadvantages of both already knowing one is lighter and smaller than the other.

thanks

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Ok, I am guessing at the question here, but in my experience the lighter pipes tend to have thinner bowl walls and can thus be more susceptible to heat or impact breakage.
That said, I do enjoy a nice light pipe while I am driving.

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I think pipetrucker nailed it, it's a choice between comfort if you clench and the cooler burn of thick walls. Personally, most of my regular pipes are thick walled.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a couple of Stanwells. My Golden Danish 03 shape is light and pretty much dedicated to C&D's Gentleman Caller. A beautiful pipe and a delightful smoke.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I sure love my Stan Colonial and will most definitely be adding another at some future point. I have about six saved on my web "wish list", now to narrow it down (HC Anderson, Rook, Ivarsson....) My Colonial is not a lightweight, but clenches beautifully with a softy bit. A perfect AM paper/coffee, reading, etc. pipe. For the money, I don't have many others that will outsmoke it.

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
I have a very light weight pipe,(1960's Willard)....in fact, it is so light in weight that I hardly know I have it in my mouth, and it is a straight apple.

I don't have an issue with the pipe getting hot at all, in fact it stays quite cool, it is the coolest smoking pipe I have, and the only pipe I will ever smoke.
I attribute the light weight to the briar being aged well.
Gotta love these cheap little OTC pipes! :worship:

ranger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 2, 2011
Grouchy, is that really a picture of you?

If it is, you look just like that puppet character, amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.