PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Just wanted to express my thanks to Kashmir for the advice contained in this thread and this thread. Over the last several weeks, I've been working on clenching more (unless smoking one of my churchwardens) and puffing less (or at least more slowly), and it's been paying off. My tongue is in much better shape this morning than it has been in weeks past, even though I got in a few extra bowls this weekend, and I'm finding that I can keep my cobs going almost as well as my Stanwell as long as I'm paying attention (smoking while doing yardwork is still a little distracting...).
Of course, now I'm finding that PAD is kicking in when I spot a bulldog, but that's a side effect I can live with. :lol:

irwinmetro

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 31, 2013
+1 Phred
Although I'm still working out the whole salivary issue, the smokes have been much more enjoyable and consistent. I've also found going out for a roll on my skateboard has helped my clenching and kept me from over analyzing my technique.
As an aside, coupling a smoke with some light physical exercise makes for a nice combination.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Wow! Many thanks gents. Yeah, when I first got into pipes in the 80s, I didn't know any puffers. So I began watching old movies with pipe smoking characters, and they all clenched, and nurtured a slow smoulder, with narry a wisp of smoke, all the while talking their lines. Soon I was smoking the same way. Fast forward to today's YouTube videos and you've got guys puffing up a storm, like a locomotive, complaining about something called tongue bite, and complaining about not being able to taste the tobacco. Go figure. Glad to hear its working out for you phred. Sometimes I'll take a break from the pipe for a couple of weeks, like this past vacation, where nails were the only option. I carry a fine silver cigarette case with rolled Prince Alberts. And when I come back to the pipe why it'll take me a few bowls to get back on track, cadence-wise. So its definitely an acquired set of skills that one develops with the pipe.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Not to distract this thread from acknowledging the fineness of kashmir's character, but have you seen the bizarre Youtube clips of this ol' dude who just wears random outfits, pops in a pipe, and then makes like a 1 minute video of him smoking like a chimney? Its horrendous video quality and the titles will literally be like "Kaywoodie with jeans and white hat."
He never talks, he just smokes at an insane rate for a few seconds and then posts it as a horrible quality video. Thought its a strange use of a person's time.
But I detract: I'm somewhat new here, but I've experienced kashmir as a polite, helpful, and knowledgable smoker. Not to mention, on some thread I learned the word "lunting" from him, which really impressed someone when they tried to stump me with words I couldn't possibly know.

Status
Not open for further replies.