PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipesdownunder

Might Stick Around
Nov 3, 2013
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jun/24/cigarette-ban-british-medical-association
Proposed ban on UK cigarette sales to anyone born after year 2000.
Heavy stuff!
Jake

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I saw that; pretty bad. BTW folks, the ban is for life, not until they're 18 or something; they want to make cigarettes illegal. Gee, that wouldn't create any black market, would it?

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
No one in the US (outside of Colorado and a few other places) is allowed to buy pot. Then why do I keep finding it in my Son's room?
It won't work.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
That oughta work just great (for the black market).
Such an idea could only come from the geniuses in what we still euphemistically refer to as "government".
As a former PT resident, I can think of a few things the English should be more worried about.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
It won't happen. It's a stunt by supposedly intelligent people taking time out from their busy schedule of 5 minute appointments (designed to issue pills without any attempt at patient care but really keep drive cash flow). The Conservatives and LibDems won't vote for it as they wouldn't risk alienating a) the working class smokers who predominate in Labour held areas and b) the young vote who comprise the biggest group taking up cigarettes. Labour won't support it for the same reasons. Even if it comes close to a vote it will only be in circumstances where other factors - end of term &c. - would stop anything actually happening.
As for ruling the known World, Trailboss - that was a long time ago. The World has moved on and we are struggling just to keep a place at the top table. If the UK military cuts continue, world leaders won't even need to turn to us to provide leading-edge troops.
Andy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Generation-specific law? Law with a grandfather clause? This looks really dubious to me, although

British law is a world of its own devising, I admit. Anywhere everyone wears wigs.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
It would be really short sighted to give up all that tax revenue. I hope, for this very reason, that tobacco will remain a legal drug. Not only in the US, but around the world. Legal but expensive is better than illegal and expensive

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
"Smoking is not a rational, informed choice of adulthood," he said.
I suppose that's true in many cases, however, my decision to begin smoking a pipe at 55 can hardly be construed as succumbing to peer pressure!

The Black Marketers have finally found a lobbyist good enough to push their agenda.
Jokes aside, this is yet another step to the infantilisation of the UK.
Fax a nice one page document and fax it to your MP telling them you votes will go somewhere it they dont stop this idiocy.
Chris "The Pipe Monk" Christopher

Status
Not open for further replies.