PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I think a blindfold taste contest at a show would be an interesting event. Contestants would be asked to identify five or ten blends, maybe giving points for named ingredients and big points for identifying the blend by name.
Has this been done before?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Blindfolds would make lighting and relighting tricky, or unsafe, but it's not necessary. A second party could pack the pipes, and the contestants could take it from there. A rare few might recognize the tobacco from the top of the bowl, but that would be guess work. It could be educational to watch blenders and tobacconists make their guesses and give their reasons.

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I thought clickklick's thread having people review his holy grail was somewhat of a blind taste test.
Holy Grail Review Thread
5-10 blends might be a lot to have people test if planning on timely responses.

Every time I get out of the car and come back to it, is a blind taste test for me. I have to try and figure out what it was that I packed the pipe with before I left the house, ha ha. Once the Alzheimers kicks in full force, I plan on just reviewing the same blend twelve times a day, ha ha!

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
I've participated in one of these in the past on the Puff forum, was a blast. Participants are paired up and send each other samples labeled a,b,c,etc. The recipients then smoke the samples and post their best guess for each sample. Afterwards, the contributor reveals the blends. Was a load of fun and I think we had more fun with the missed guesses than the correct ones. I would be interested in something like this Brass, if you decide to try and get it going.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Torque, thanks for the vote of confidence but I'm already facilitating the tobacco crawl. Russ Oullette is hosting this month.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pax-tobacco-crawl-with-russ-ouellette
But anyone is free to pickup the flag and run with it. Why don't you do it, Torque, since you've seen how it works. You might check the rules on trading and buying, just to make sure we're kosher. But I would participate if you want to organize it later.
But if no one else wants to step-up, I might later this year. I already spend too much time and money online.
Or maybe crawl members would like to try this one month. It certainly has possibilities.
Pax

torque

Can't Leave
May 21, 2013
But anyone is free to pickup the flag and run with it. Why don't you do it, Torque, since you've seen how it works.
My little slight of hand seems to have blown up in my face, LMAO. I thought since you were interested in an in-person contest you might get excited about making it a forum game. Guess I'm not the fisherman I thought I was, LOL.
Truth is that I would be happy to coordinate something but, due to certain "personality rubs" I've had with other members in the past, I'm not exactly the most popular kid in class. :) I doubt it would get much traction if I tried to coordinate such an event. Now if one of the cooler kids wanted to run it then that would be awesome. It is extremely fun and entertaining, and not just for the participants but also for everyone that reads the threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.