PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wellington

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 31, 2012
Buying a pipe once I was shown that when removing the stem from a pipe, you should twist and pull, but keep it rotating in the same direction (as if there were threads) as opposed to just pulling or twisting back and forth while pulling.
So this is the way I've always done it, and the same idea with putting it back on, I twist it clockwise and push, pretty much one ration gets the stem in. I was just watching a video of some Brigham pipes and the dude pulled the stem out of a couple of the pipes to talk about the filter system and I cringed as he wiggled it back and forth while pulling it out, I felt so bad for the poor Brighams. Then I started thinking, is this actually a big deal or does it really not matter? I would be inclined to think twisting and pulling entirely in the same direction would create less wear on the stem or at least more even wear.
Any thoughts?

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I always do it the same way you do. I forget where I read or saw it now, but it seems it would be better for the stem and shank to always twist it the same direction.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
I never remove a stem, unless absolutely necessary. And, if I have to remove it, I do as you said, loseth, twist clockwise and pull gently.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
I've found thru trial & error, the weakest point in a pipe is at the tenon mortise junction. I remove the bit as you do twisting in one direction and gently pulling. No lateral play. Every fifth or sixth smoke I'll remove the bit to clean the plenum area thoroughly. I'll rub the tennon on a block of candle wax before reinserting.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I twist in one direction only, and this routine goes so far back, I can't even remember learning it. There

may be an actual strength-of-materials question, where keeping the torque in one direction places it

under less stress. And/or, there could be an industrial psychology principle that if you are thinking about

how you are doing this, you provide a more deliberate and gradual pull, not a random yanking motion.

Take a big guy with powerful wrists and arms, he can snap the whole thing in half without effort. Pipes

are pretty delicate.

Status
Not open for further replies.