PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
I just saw this on Facebook in a National Lampoon magazine fans group. I'm thinking it was a joke on the Shroud of Turin. (I didn't start reading NatLamp until 1978.)
img_2762-489x600.jpg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The Shroud was late proven to be a 13th century fake.
"Proven" is a strong word. There are legitimate questions with the carbon dating done in the '80s...as has been discussed not just by those who believe it's "real" but by those who do not:
Twists and Turins
https://www.chemistryworld.com/opinion/how-old-is-the-turin-shroud/3010341.article
As for proof of God's existence, one need look no further than the fact that the human race still exists decades after splitting the atom.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
"Proven" is a strong word. There are legitimate questions with the carbon dating done in the '80s...as has been discussed not just by those who believe it's "real" but by those who do not:
Twists and Turins
https://www.chemistryworld.com/opinion/how-old-is-the-turin-shroud/3010341.article
Interesting. Well, it's time to put up or shut up. If one has faith that the Shroud is genuine then a further testing shouldn't be an issue since it will prove that the shroud is genuine.
As for proof of God's existence, one need look no further than the fact that the human race still exists decades after splitting the atom.
Have you considered the possibility that God is behind on checking His email and that He'll get around to addressing that?

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Have you considered the possibility that God is behind on checking His email and that He'll get around to addressing that?
That may very well be. I've tried Skype but keep getting disconnected.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"As for proof of God's existence, one need look no further than the fact that the human race still exists decades after splitting the atom."
Brian, I'm somewhat puzzled by your reply. Care to expand upon it?
Regards,
Jay.

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Are any of you lot suggesting God doesn't wear slippers and smoke a pipe?????
Don't make us sick Georged on you, 'cause he will kick your non-feline arses from here to meow mix and beyond.
Next you'll be saying he doesn't smoke ____ brand of pipes or _______ tobacco. :nana:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Brian, I'm somewhat puzzled by your reply. Care to expand upon it?
I thought it was fairly self explanatory...just means it must be divine intervention that we haven't nuked/radiated ourselves into extinction yet.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I thought it was fairly self explanatory...just means it must be divine intervention that we haven't nuked/radiated ourselves into extinction yet."
So when we finally do nuke ourselves into extinction (as surely we will) does that mean divine intervention failed or just gave up on us?
Regards,
Jay.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I used to think (in a casual illustration sort of way), that h. Sapiens and his affairs had the same relative size and importance to the Universe as an anthill did to the entirety of Planet Earth. Erase it with a quick shoe scuff and no one could even tell, never mind care.
Boy, was I wrong.
The actual, accurate comparison is that if the entire Universe was contained in an Earth-sized volume of space, a single grain of sand would be about six trillion miles in diameter, and our entire solar system couldn't be seen with the most powerful optical microscope ever made.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
So when we finally do nuke ourselves into extinction (as surely we will) does that mean divine intervention failed or just gave up on us?
Regards,
Jay.
Jay I'm sincerely humbled that my wild speculation opinion on this subject is of interest to you, so I'll attempt further outlandish pontificating to answer.
If your assumption that nuclear extinction will surely happen is correct, then I'd say it was allowed to happen at that point. My previous speculation was based on a different assumption of my own...namely that it would have already happened by now if not for divine intervention (I guess I just don't have enough faith in the ability and intentions of our planetary management class to conclude that they've prevented this on their own thus far).
But given how fast time goes by, and how relatively short our lifespans are, none of us really have long to wait to find out what's on the other side...so perhaps you'll have the opportunity to pose this question to the Big Man Himself at that point.
There is much more I could ramble on about regarding my personal spiritual/religious/metaphysical views, but I will refrain from doing so because not only would that rabbit hole end up in violation of forum rules, but I strongly suspect no one else here would want to be subjected to it anyway. :lol:

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
Yes, but ... what about the slippers and pipe??? Let's focus on the important stuff here people!! This must be resolved ASAP. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.