PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
So I finally got to see this movie on Tuesday night... I really enjoyed it. Not sure why I wasn't aware but it was based off of theories by Zecharia Sitchin ... I have read many of Sitchen's books and have always found them to be interesting, I love his theories that we (the human race) were engineered by "Space Astronauts" otherwise known as the Anunnaki who actually engineered the Sumerian culture to harvest gold... apparently the Anunnaki fucked up their own atmosphere and needed gold particles to place into their own atmosphere to survive... quite obviously his ideas were immediately rejected... but the funny part is that that is something that they are talking now to fix our own climate problems before it gets worse.... yet Sitchen came up with this theory in the mid 70's ... anyways a big fan of Sitchen's books, theories and now this movie. I also enjoy reading about ancient civilizations and their theories. :)
I guess if anyone is up to it... we can open a discussion, regardless if just about the movie (or similar movies) or the theories themselves... although this can get pretty deep and these types of discussions I enjoy more in person... but what the hell! :puffy:
or we can just act like the monkey's that we are and just throw feces at each other :rofl: ... its a joke people! were not actually going to throw shit at each other!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
captain, you also realize that this movie is the prequel to all the Alien movies. I loved the movie and have watched it 5 times already, once in the theater and 4 times at home. I did not know that it was also based on Sitchin. I will now have to look at his works. I believe we were planted here and that we have been visited by other races. There is too much evidence to think otherwise. Out of the billions of galaxies and the billions of stars and trillions of planets there has to be billions of other types of life out there. It is fun to think about.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
I have never heard of this Zecharia Sitchin. You have peaked my interest and I am about to download "The 12th Planet" on my wifes KindleFire. I hope to be ready for any future discussion.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I haven't seen the movie yet, but am very much looking forward to it. Regarding Sitchin, I do believe there is at least a kernel of truth in his writings, but there are compelling reasons to believe that he made significant errors in his translations of the Sumerian and other ancient texts.
I must admit I have not read any of his books, but I heard him interviewed a few times before he passed away, and have also listened to debates from both sides regarding his translations. Personally, IMO, I think the evidence is clear that he made significant errors. Below is one link to some information regarding this by Michael Heiser who holds a PhD in ancient Semitic languages.
http://www.sitchiniswrong.com/

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Very interesting. I saw the movie in the theater this summer and liked it. I smoked a new to Castello G-Bulldog in front of the theater waiting for the movie to start! I didn't know anything about Sitchin but downloaded some of books this morning. I'll watch that debunking movie time permitting.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Harris... first off I wasnt aware that it was a prequel to Alien, but makes sence now :) but I alsoagree with you that I tend to believe (mainly because its such a sexy idea) that we were engineered/created... There is countless evidence and we continue to go further and further back in history, where we thought we were just throwing rocks at each other, and finding some amazing advanced technological practices (well advanced to what we had thought they were capable of)
Now most of this is fun to think about and discuss... I also like other theories though... I love McKenna's "Stoned Ape Theory" even though its a bit harder to swallow, but also has tid bits of logic that make you go ..."hhmmm"
Erick

@Brian... I havent seen that website, but will definitely read through it... it does refer to a documentary called "Debunking Ancient Aliens" by Chris White (which I have seen) ... here's my problem with them. Although they make some good arguments, they tend to want everything to be black and white... Chris White states several times in his film that he read something else on the internet and therefore it must be true... so in essence whatever claims he's trying to debunk he merely states another possibility and therefore says that the "claims" made are false. But what he's not realizing is that we really do not know who's right and who's wrong, he's completely discounting any other possibilities other than what he believes to be true.
I am going to re-visit Sitchin's books this weekend :)
Here's another thing to think about... whenever you have some new findings or possible evidence to contradict what we thought we knew, you will have loads of people that will fight it tooth and nail, mainly because they have spent their lives teaching and idea and if in fact they accept anything new... would mean that they have been wrong the entire time... case in point Robert Schoch's theory that the Sphinx is actually much older than we had ever thought, like an extra 5-7 thousand years older... and that goes against everything we had ever thought about how old and how these ancient Egyptian civilization actually lived.
ah and btw... I highly recommend Schoch's books as well :D

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@captainprophesy: I agree with what you're saying. I too believe the evidence indicates that the "linear" version of human history is incorrect. I was not intending to argue the "debunking" case (I'm not really familiar with that Chris White thing...and I am not in 100% agreement with Michael Heiser either). But I do think that Heiser makes a very strong case that Sitchin's translation work was very poor in many instances.
That said, I actually am very much a proponent of "alternative" research into human history and origins. And I definitely agree that the Sphinx is much older than establishment science says it is (I also think the Great Pyramid is as well).
You may be familiar with Michael Cremo ("forbidden archeology"). IMO, his research provides some very strong evidence that we are not getting the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth regarding human history and origins from "establishment science":
http://www.mcremo.com/

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Good topic Capt'n Prophesy . Nice to see someone pushing the boundaries.
I like Sitchin's books. My only complaint with them is that he takes a very materialistic view of the universe. And frankly some of his theories are a stretch. He sometimes take an excerpt from a text and extrapolates a view that is forced IMHO. Still, he has an interesting take on things.
On a side note, I don't usually talk about it, but I had some very "out there" spiritual experiences that proved to me beyond all doubt that we are "spiritual beings" - for lack of a better word.
It's too bad Sitchin neglected to see the spiritual aspects to these ancient stories. Take Genesis for example. It is based on a Sumerian tale and the teaching itself is absolutely profound and actually falls right in line with all of the great spiritual teachings, East and West. Namely, that our fall begain when we learned the difference between right and wrong (i.e., good and evil).
According the OT and the Sumerian tale it is based on - this is when God kicked Adam and Eve out of Eden. Incredibly, this teaching is exactly the same as Buddhist and Hindu teachings. Namely, when we judge one thing as good and another as bad, we live in a "fallen" or unenlightened state.
Sadly, Sitchin himself translates some key tracts in Sumerian teachings that completely overlook the spiritual relevance of the text.

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
It intrigued me but I really hope they follow it up with a Prometheus 2/Alien Prequel Sequel :rofl: . I have a feeling it's meant to be followed up or filled in somehow.
Props to the creators, though, for using animatronics to create most of the scenes with the Engineers rather than overused CGI.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The movie sounds like it has a bit of HP Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness in the plot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/At_the_Mountains_of_Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.