Project Log: Six Made in Canada Brigham Pipes (Pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

2 Fresh Chris Asteriou Pipes
New Cigars
120 Fresh Peterson Pipes
12 Fresh Mark Tinsky Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey there folks. As with my other Project Log threads I'll be updating this with the restoration progress on these pipes. I truly value the feedback and tips that I get, so if you have any wisdom to share please don't be shy. (There has to be at least one shy pipe lover out there...)
As mentioned in another thread, I was expecting some more estate Brigham pipes to arrive, and they did tonight along with a Hilson bulldog, two beat up "The Pipe" dublins, a Montcalm, and a Savinelli Oom Paul/calabash which appears to have had a briar bowl/insert. The marks on the Sav are nearly gone, but this merits investigation I'll add more as I take pictures and do some research.
But to the Brighams! These six came in with their stems all mixed up. I think, in the end, I've matched five stems to five pipes. But I won't find out til I've cleaned out the shanks. My favourite pipe in this bunch is the author, which appears to have a mis-matched stem (bugger!). Here they are. I'll get to cleaning and pics tomorrow.
Cheers,
-- Pat

jdto

Might Stick Around
Nov 11, 2012
Those are some beauties! I look forward to seeing them brought back to life.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Can't wait! Are you doing all six at once?
Yep. It helps me to get stuck in on a project, and the sense of completion at the end of a run of a few pipes is pretty awesome.
-- Pat

Aug 1, 2012
the sense of completion at the end of a run of a few pipes is pretty awesome
I completely agree. Plus, there's a lot less wasted wait time between things like retorting if you can be working on a stem in the meantime. Oh yeah I almost forgot, nice group of Brighams.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I like the top left one, is it a billiard or a Dublin? Looks like it might make a good flake pipe. Can't wait to see them.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Top left is a pot. It's a nice little pipe. I have hopes for that one.
One other benefit of cleaning up a small lot of pipes at the same time is assembly lining things like stem work. Six pipes + micro mesh = 1 baseball game (assuming it isn't a pitchers' duel)
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Ha!
I'm bummed about that author. That's a cherry bowl, and it wants to be in my rotation. Of the six pipes, I am sure that I have four mated with original stems. The other two... well the author's stem is clearly a box find that's been thrown together to make a "complete pipe". The other pipe I'm unsure about, and won't be able to tell until I clean the interior of the shank. Here are some pics post surface cleaning.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Wow. Nice haul and great work Pat. How the heck does anyone let cake build up in a pipe like that? Still looking to smoke a made in Canada pipe. Have yet to find any estates myself and understand new Brigs are made in Italy. If you are interested in moving one on post resto, I will cross your palms with silver

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
I really like the middle one on the left side in the first pic. Something about the stem on that one.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks gents. These are going to clean up nicely. I'll keep posting pics as I clean them up. It will be fun to see which the favourite is once they've been de-gunked. I'm up at my folks' place for some R&R on the farm, so no resto work this weekend.
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Evening gang.
As most of you know from this thread: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/great-day-antiquing-pic-heavy
I hit the jackpot last weekend and have added a Brigham VIP and three higher grade Trypis pipes to the bench. So I thought I'd expand this Project Log to include these pipes.
Here is the latest:

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I have to admire your ability to do that many pipes at once, I get so distracted when I have more than two on the bench. :clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.