PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 4, 2014
One of my others hobbies is shooting and building black powder rifles. At our local club is an older gentleman named Roger, who became my friend and mentor. Roger lived and breathed black powder shooting, until two years ago when he suffered a stroke. Roger had taken a stock to have the barrel inletted prior to his stroke. One of our members picked up the stock and barrel, and brought it to the club. All the gun builder in club met and we decided to finish Roger's last rifle. Each person would supply the needed parts and labor. The lock, stock and barrel came to me for my part in the project. I've made stead progress on my part, and I'm about ready to hand it off. As I've worked on the rifle my thoughts turn to my friend; the good times and encouragement he gave me. I hope when we show him the finished rifle he will be pleased.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
A guy once attempted to sell me a Thompson black powder rifle. He was into it. He said he'd purchased a Hawken and wanted to get rid of the other one...said I could try it out. Gave me instructions. Some powder, shot, cloth, whatever was required...it was a long time ago..
So I get my dad and we go to the sand bank to try this here 'very accurate' rifle...here's where it gets weird.

Now, my guy had said put 3 drams of powder into the barrel...so, I carefully filled the measure he'd given me, 3x and put it into the barrel...I tried it twice and Dad once. Everytime it hit high. Hell of a bang too.
It wasn't until the next day when I saw the guy that I knew that 3 drams was one measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.