PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

storfiskarn52

Lurker
Oct 14, 2016
Sweden
So the goverment in Sweden decided to make it illegal to cell cigarettes with taste, as well as flavored cigars. But even more insane is that all tobacco products is forbidden to be visible for the customer... More on, it will be illegal to smoke in public places. All of the things above will also be applied to E-ciggs (aka Vapors). How insane isn't that?!?

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
I chuckled reading the OPs post.
So the goverment in Sweden decided to make it illegal to cell cigarettes with taste, as well as flavored cigars. But even more insane is that all tobacco products is forbidden to be visible for the customer...
I thought: we've had this where I live for quite some time. It's not a huge deal and I'm forced to buy better cigars now, rather than those cheap flavored ones lol. It's not that bad, really.
So, Sweden is similar to Alberta, Canada.
Then I read the rest of the post:

More on, it will be illegal to smoke in public places.
Now that is bad news. You've got us beat here, after all. My condolences.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
All of that and more here in New Brunswick Canada. No flavoured tobacco, no smoking in provincial parks, walking trails, tobacco products must not be visible in stores and no smoking in public more or less. Over $30 for a pouch of OTC.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

all tobacco products is forbidden to be visible for the customer
I would be very surprised if this statement applies to snus?

averagegent

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2016
All tobacco products are forbidden to be visible to the customer in the UK too... It's frustrating, but tobacco shops cope by putting frosted glass in their windows, and having a no-u18's policy for the whole shop, so the legal smoker can go in and peruse the wares as they would have before!
As for the no-smoking-in-public-places thing, bad luck my friend, bad luck...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The public ran the experiment with millions of people around the world smoking a carton of cigarettes a month, and sure enough, large numbers died much earlier than their non-smoking cohorts. The cigarette makers cooperated by loading the product with nicotine to sustain and increase the use, and other dubious ingredients. So confronted with this, the public health professionals "came to the rescue," and aren't dealing with the niceties of the people who smoked much less of something else. The health stats didn't go into that. So blame the government gone awry, but also the manufacturers who cashed in by the hundreds of billions, and not least of all the public. Folks like to blame the someone else over there, and not themselves for their own small part in all this. We've nearly all done too much of something. I'm not sure how much selling tobacco under the counter will "help." People love buying the forbidden, like Prohibition in the U.S. This may be the best sales promotion yet.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
time for the people to start changing their government too
That's not going to happen as the people who support these ridiculous laws are in the majority.

storfiskarn52

Lurker
Oct 14, 2016
Sweden
So the goverment in Sweden decided to make it illegal to cell cigarettes with taste, as well as flavored cigars.

What about pipe tobacco?

I am really unsure about if this would apply to pipe tobacco, but since it's apply to flavored cigars, I can not see why this Goverment (read: politician fools) woudln't let pipe tobacco slip by. After all, this is what the opinion this country has on tobacco products.
all tobacco products is forbidden to be visible for the customer

I would be very surprised if this statement applies to snus?

What I've read, snus is not in the line of fire, since it does not affect ones health more than mouth cancer in rare cases, and also the dental health. Because we are provided free health insurance and not dental dito, the consumers will have to pay for their tobacco related diseases themselves.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

since it does not affect ones health more than mouth cancer in rare cases
There's never been a case of cancer, period, that was linked to snussing to my knowledge? It is known as being the safest way to consume tobacco, even safer than snuff. I'm pretty sure that in the over 100 years of snus manufacturing in Sweden that not one manufacturer has been sued. Sweden is a different animal when it comes to tobacco because of snus. There's just not as many smokers as there are in other countries, but there are probably more tobacco users than most.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have always found these bans humorous. Outside of high quality, hand rolled cigars and some premium pipe tobacco; all tobacco has some kind of casing (flavoring) added. This can range from simple solutions such as water and anti-fungal to complex ones like some of these aromatic Christmas Blends.
So, at what point does it become a flavoring? Does it have to be a food flavor such as cherry or vanilla? Is latakia considered a flavoring? How about the use of honey as a binding agent when making flake and plug tobaccos? Does this mean all those lakeland tobaccos are now illegal?
The point I am trying to make is just how little these people (anti-tobacco enthusiast) know about the tobacco industry and the products, and how little they care. It is really unfortunate.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
ChasingEmbers.. what County is that where you can't smoke in parks?

Here in Jefferson County I'm pretty sure smoking is fine anywhere outdoors.

Once you get out in the country, a lot of places still allow indoor smoking.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
There's never been a case of cancer, period, that was linked to snussing to my knowledge?
This research seems to disagree. "A statistically significant increase in the incidence of the combined category of oral and pharyngeal cancer among daily users of snus (incidence rate ratio 3.1, 95% confidence interval 1.5–6.6) was found."
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ijc.23469/abstract;jsessionid=A8DDD9798C8FAC94CD5EAC70D41959BC.f02t02

storfiskarn52

Lurker
Oct 14, 2016
Sweden
I'm pretty sure that in the over 100 years of snus manufacturing in Sweden that not one manufacturer has been sued

That's because Sweden has a completly different juridic system, where it is more or less impossible (since it does not exists) to sue someone, besides when it comes to contract related dissagrements and in some economical dito

Status
Not open for further replies.