PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpybear

Lurker
Dec 30, 2017
West Columbia, S.C.
Hey, it has been awhile since I posted. I have enjoyed my pipe smoking so far ,and with my birthday being this past week I decided to order a new pipe, along with some tobacco. Today I recieved my new Stanwell brushed black pipe and I could not wait to try it out. I also orderd a few bulk tobaccos, one was Lane Very Cherry. So far I have not enjoyed cherry tobacco ,but this was a completly different taste ,not at all like what I had from two of the local stores. It taste like it smells to me ,which is a first. I really enjoyed it!
Over the last few monthes I have learned to slow down, and take my time and enjoy the moment. I don't taste ash anymore but it is still often hard to dicern what it is I am tasting.
Most of all I am learning to relax.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
Good for you! I smoked a few aros hot the first few times and got tongue burn like none other. Slow and steady does the trick! I also used the method of packing very light, gravity feed once, then lightly packing a little more tobacco. The smoke doesn't last as long, but the flavors definitely open up.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome aboard! I'd buy blends in small quantities for the first two years -- an ounce in bulk, a pouch, one tin. That will allow you sample around and see what you like. Even if you like something, keep the quantities small, since your taste will change. And if you don't like something, jar it for a year and try it again, for the same reason. Study the online tobacco pages of our sponsors and learn the different constituent tobaccos, strength, room note, and so on. Lane's good, moderately priced, quality tobacco mostly, with plenty of aromatic and non-aro to try. Sutliff, C&D, and so many others, also offer excellent options. Have fun!

pipesticks

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2016
Chicago
I'd buy blends in small quantities for the first two years
I don't think he, or any of us, have the luxury to drag our feet for 2 years. I recommend if you find something you really like, start stocking up. Start trying some dunhill blends and if you like one, buy 10 tins to stash because they are gone once the stock runs out. Concentrate on trying blends that may disappear, and that is anything that has come out after 2007.
Lane Very Cherry is VERY cherry. I'd recommend trying Lane Dark Red...it's a bit more subtle. And people that like cherry seem to like Cult Blood Red Moon. But keep in mind most aromatics don't age as well as other tobaccos, like virginia.
Grumpybear, happy belated BDay and congrats on the new Brushed Black. I have several. You really can't go wrong with a Stanwell. Great bang for the buck.
And if you are tasting ash mid-bowl, there is nothing wrong with tipping out the ash. If you packed it right, the tobacco will remain.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think most of us will get a hot tongue the first times we try to smoke a pipe.

I don't think it matters all that much if the tobacco is an aro or a more natural blend.

Unless you've learned to pace yourself from the beginning and have a natural affinity for packing and sipping, it takes awhile.

Sometimes, that sensation of burning isn't caused by heat, but PH levels.

I'm not absolutely certain, but I think if you stick with a tobacco, it improves as you get yourself accustomed to its vagaries, and your own. Your mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.