Prognosis..... I Will Never Like A New Pipe.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
The title speaks for itself. I just got a free pipe from my neighbor. Granted, it was a medico... But it was awefule. Second bad experience with a new bowl and my tongue is bitten. This pipe turned a blend that i like a lot into something that resembled a trash fire. Never again. :twisted: I'm only buying estate pipes!!!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Mate, if you got a pipe from your neighbor congrats. I hope you took it apart and cleaned it well. Deoxidize stem, alochol and salt or cotton balls in bowl and shank. Scrub shank with brush or cleaners(approx-40-60) cleaned insided stem really well(approx-50-70 cleaners). If you did not do this, any estate pipe will taste "Horrible".
On a side note: I have a couple or 3 Medico's and they smoke just fine for a cheap pipe.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Shawn clean it and try again also sometimes it takes a few bowls to break in a pipe to "smokeable" condition. If that doesn't work send it to me :D

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
I'm a fan of estates (big time). But a good name brand pipe is a fine thing as well (especially when it's a gift) just be easy with it and let it get good and broken in. :D

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
Over the years I've changed my mind so many times about things involved in this pipe smoking thing anymore I never say never.Except when it comes to smoking Virginias.

pipedreams101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 1, 2012
Briar or brylon? I never thought I could truly hate anything until I got a brylon pipe...

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Brylons make a good hammer! I've had many Medicos and still have a few in rotation. The only bad one was Brylon. :x

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Ba hahahahahaah.... I love you guys :D Always a pick up. I read about Brylon and NEVER!!! The name is scary. Something about putting a fire to something that's a mix of chemicals and briar dust that's unnerving. Fisher, I did none of those things!!! My neighbor smelled the pipe smoke in the hall and said it reminded him of him dad that passed 8 years ago. Then he said hold on, and went into his place. He came out and handed me a mecico, bulldog style briar. Said it was his dads and he wanted me to have it. He got kind of emotional on me. Told me to "Fire it up.". So i went in and grabbed some Peterson's Sweet Killerhey that shaintiques was kind enough to send me. Had a bowl of it early and loved it. Though it had a great room note, and would be something that my neighbor would enjoy too. I packed it. Lit it. And Whamo... Tongue bite :twisted: I had managed to go since my first day without it. Of course i was on the spot and had to pretend like it was the best bowl i ever smoked :crazy: so i sat and talked to him about his dad with a big ole forced smile on my face, puffing on this bowl from Hell... Finally my sons saved me, God bless em!!! So i thanked him, marched into my office and posted this thread. Tongue isn't too bad though. I found that this mix of mint Lysterine and hydrogen peroxide does wonders for tongue bite, thank God. Hope you got a kick out of this story guys. It will be one i tell several times in my smoking career 8)Thanks for the advice. Its duly noted!!!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Shawn, if that Medico is a Bulldog Style, I want to see it please. I just may put an offer in to you or make a trade for another pipe. Post a pic to my email please. I included it in a PM I sent you an hour ago.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I Think it's a bulldog style. Fat and short. PM me directions on how to post pix from my computer. This sites format is different. The only pix i can Post from my computer are my avatars. Fisher, I couldn't trade you till i moved from here. my neighbor may ask me to see the bowl or something. But when i leave move i'll just give it to you. Remember im a newbie. Bulldog to me is short and fat:)

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
This is a Cavalier.

Cavalier.gif

Just my opinion, but I don't believe that pipes "bite"; tobaccos do. I think the rest of the guys are right; give it a THOROUGH cleaning and try it again.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Never say never, each pipe is different, estates are good, bbut tto be the first person to fire up a freehand with an absolutely bare bowl is a real treat

Status
Not open for further replies.