PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I quite obviously have a big ol' beard and mustache. I don't typically mind the smell I get from my cookie duster after smoking a bowl. Hell, sometimes, I can't stop sniffing after I have a particularly good smelling blend.
On rare occasions, I have noticed that when I smoke certain English blends, my upper lipholstery doesn't particularly smell the best. I know my wife can't enjoy it either, even though she won't tell me. She's just that way, but I don't want it smellin' up the air between us either and sometimes it throws me off as well.
I've tried using my beard balms and oils to lighten the smell after rinsing it out under the tap, but it tends to come back. If I can smell it several hours after smoking, I know for a fact that she can, being a non-smoker.
Have any of you other fellas with a little lip foliage attempted to clear the smell before after smoking a bad smelling blend, and if so, how were you able to achieve this feat?

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I typically smoke aros, VAs, VaPers, or Burleys, so it's not really a bad thing that the smell lingers on my beard.
Probably best thing to do is rinse your beard and put on some scented beard oil.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Wipe it down with distilled vinegar. Should curtail the odor just don’t forget to wash afterward or you’ll smell like a salad.

arvetus

Might Stick Around
Jul 29, 2018
Mine ain't as thick as yours indicates in your avatar, but we use Dawn for pretty much everything and it's everywhere in the house...kitchen sink, shower soap, bathroom sink hand soap, dog shampoo...so I give my mustache a scrubbing with original Dawn. Seems to do the trick for me in dulling the smell until the next morning's shower and cologne application.
Dawn and vinegar mix is a good deodorizer for getting skunk off a dog...so maybe that would work for your pipe stank?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Just embrace it as a quirk of your persona. Smoke more, and it'll become a fixed part of your endearing self. My daughter says that when she hugs me, I smell like pipe smoke and airplane, and finds it oddly comforting.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My facial hair is confined to my upper lip, but it presents the same issue. I think the remedy is more frequency of rinsing it off rather than special preparations. The usual face washing and showers help, but also a quick swipe at rinsing off my face between washing helps. Keep the smokey molecules moving down the drain. Between washing and rinsing, you can get a second whiff of your last blend by sniffing your own 'stache. Ha-ha.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Comes with the territory, the reek of stale smoke. It's not just in your facial hair, it's everywhere. You could minimize it with a quick wash but, it's simply one of the consequences of being a smoker. Embrace it or, start mouth breathing. One really can't smoke and give too much concern to what others think about the attendant reek.
It might become your signature B.O. People downwind will quickly detect your approach.

hakchuma

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2014
Michigan, USA
Wash your upper lip with tooth paste that contains baking soda. That's my trick and probably why I get so much tail. Other than my handsome looks embedded in my DNA

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Just this morning I tried using my wife's lavender soap to diminish the smell of an english blend I smoked. It sort of worked but not 100%. Just lathered it up over my mustache and rinsed off in the sink. It occurs to me that a thread on "beard note" might be interesting. Probably almost the same as the Wife/Girlfriend Approved Blends? thread I started last week.

Jan 8, 2013
It's when I get a mustache ghost that smells like cigarettes (you get that with some blends) , that is bothers me. When it does I just wash out my beard and mustache, apply some beard oil, and I'm good to go.

Jan 8, 2013
Learn to smoke through your bum. No one is likely putting their lips there, maybe.
8O
You know... that's kinda what this was for...
oldmedicne1.jpg
:rofl:

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I can understand it coming with the territory, and it doesn't bother me for the most part, only when I smoke certain blends does my mustache smell like an ashtray. Not the most pleasant. Some blends smell great and I'm sure I look like a moron walking around smelling my own upper lip from time to time, but who cares. When it smells good, it smells good.
Wipe it down with distilled vinegar. Should curtail the odor just don’t forget to wash afterward or you’ll smell like a salad.
Vinegar, huh? Well I love me some deviled eggs, dill pickles, cole slaw, marinades and even salad dressings with it, but I can't stand the smell of straight vinegar. Putting it that close to the old sniffer would have me gagging in very short order.
Wash your upper lip with tooth paste that contains baking soda.
Now there's something I haven't thought of. Might have to give that a try.
Pressure washer ought to clear that suck out
I want it to smell better, not cleave it off! :rofl:
Yeah, I've tried the beard oil, and it works pretty quick, but the scent in it fades away pretty fast. I use a beard wash every so often as well, but even the one I have that smells like oranges, with the same fragrance of oil, with the same fragrance of balm, just doesn't kill the smokiness of my stache from time to time. Reckon I could always just stick with Exotic Passion, which makes it smell good enough for her to eat (her words, not mine). But I do so love my English blends.
You know... that's kinda what this was for...
Ummmm...nope, nein, ní hea, nei, nej, nage, na, no way in hell. That there's got a sign that reads "EXIT ONLY". :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.