Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Problems Smoking Makes Me Want to Quit (UPDATE)

(34 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by easterntraveler
  • Latest reply from av8scuba
  1. easterntraveler

easterntraveler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Here is my update. The bottom of my bowl still producing so much moisture it is impossible to complete the bowl. I have even gone as far as running a pipe cleaner after ever 3 puffs and this has had a minor affect on the outcome also two of my pipes are bent and the pipe cleaner does not make it all the way. Here is the original post. Please read before commenting.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/problems-smoking-makes-me-want-to-quit

Things that I have notice since original post. Member MMcob sent me a cob. Much appreciate this however has not solved my problem. However there is a clear orange stem on the cob and I can clearly see a large amount of moisture built up in the stem. Not sure why. I have tried packing a little tighter (as recommended) the problem with this is because of the moisture buildup the tobacco becomes hard half way down and it is impossible to properly tamp. I have had to resort to smoke less than a half of a bowl to prevent wasting tobacco. However there is still moisture built up at the bottom. Another point to note is when I am smoking less than half of the bowl it appears that the inside walls of the bowls are sweating and this moisture is immediately building up after lighting this is the case with all 5 of my pipes which include 2 meers. I am not enjoying this process anymore. It has gotten to the point that sometimes after lighting the pipe about 5 minutes later I can hear the moisture steaming.
    In December I will be taking two of my pipes to get the draft wholes bigger. It is the only thing I haven’t tried.

Because straight is the gate and narrow is the way which leadeth unto life and few be there that find it.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

what is the humidity where you live?

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. easterntraveler

easterntraveler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I Live in minnesota so it's generally high. Howevernot so much recently

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sorry to hear it ETtrav. If it's not excess humidty or wet aros, then I would blame the pipes or possibly your technique. Read up on various packing techniques and try each one very carefully.

Or maybe invest in one really fine pipe.

I have a couple of pipes that always smoke down to ash with little effort. None of my others do this with such consistency. These pipes are my Dunhill ODB and my latest purchase, a Peterson Kapp Royal 106. SP has two of them for sale right now:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/index.cfm?tag=Kapp%20Royal

EDIT: if you do, I would go for the lighter weight one:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/peterson/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=130534

"Be seeing you"

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. bryanf

bryanf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Spend the money and get a peterson system pipe. Problem solved. Much cheaper to buy from UK pipe shops even with the shipping.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. easterntraveler

easterntraveler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I own 2 Ser Jacopos, 1 Il Ceppo, 1 Mario Grandi, and 1 S.Yanik Meer. I doubt it is the quality of my pipes.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. bigvan

bigvan

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't think it's the pipes, or the humidity or the tobacco.

I hate to break it to you, Eastern, but it's you. Pack better, smoke slower, practice, practice, practice.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. oldredbeard

oldredbeard

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I used to have the same problem. Then one day I was doing something else, so I clenched my pipe and realized that I was sipping it very lightly. Before no matter how much I tried to slow down, I had still been puffing on my pipe. After learning to really just sip on it, the problem all but disappeared.

I'm not complaining.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. smeigs

smeigs

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try drying out some tobacco and smoke a bit slower. I have this problem from time to time with a freshly opened tin. I will let the amount of tobacco I want to smoke sit out for about an hour before I smoke it and it seems to cure that issue. I also dont live in a humid climate. Good luck, and dont give up! Us pipers must stay strong!

“A pipe in the mouth makes it clear that there has been no mistake–you are undoubtedly a man.”
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. zekest

zekest

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Are you clenching (holding) the pipe with your teeth?

Do you keep the pipe in your mouth like Popeye?

When you go to your dentist, do they place two suction hoses in your mouth?

When you wake up is your pillow completely soaked?

Maybe your pipe is filling up with your own spit, drool, moist exhale, what ever term does not hurt your self esteem.

Try holding the pipe in your hand and lightly puffing, drawing, sucking, what ever term does not challenge your manliness.

If it is still a problem, cigars are always another form of nicotine delivery.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I said this on the original thread and stand by it: it's got to be saliva moving through the stem towards the bowl. Time and practice may solve this. But in the meantime I would recommend not drinking while smoking, using a pipe cleaner as much as necessary, and smoking a straight pipe (not clenching). I think many newer pipe smokers go through a version of what you're experiencing and unfortunately your experience is just more acute. One other suggestion: hold the pipe while sipping and just barely touch the stem to your lips.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. indyraider

indyraider

Login to Send PM

My saliva goes nuts when I smoke anything so I always keep a cup or empty bottle close by...

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. locopony

locopony

BANNED

Login to Send PM

Dont stress over it. Let it dry for a few minutes longer pack looser and relax. Over thinking and over expectations will cause frustrations.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. cmdrmcbragg

cmdrmcbragg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to agree with everyone that said the following:

-Don't pack it tight. (Loosely pack it and don't mash it all in. It needs room to breathe.)
    -Sip, don't puff like a train. (This is probably the main culprit. I puffed on the pipe like a locomotive and burnt the hell out of my tongue and always had a gurgle. Sip it like you would a straw.)
    -Let the tobacco dry beforehand. (Good advice, not all blends need drying, but if it feels moist and/or sticky, let it sit out for a bit.)
    -Relax. (Pipe smoking is/should be about relaxing. Don't get frustrated, just keep trying.)
    -Get a better pipe. (My first pipe -a hunk of junk Chinese piece of plastic with a metal bowl insert- is resting peacefully in the dump. I cannot recommend briar enough. Do NOT get anything brylon either. I'm not a cob smoker, but Meerschaum is highly recommended by others.)

Keep at it. It'll come, it just takes practice and plenty of forum reading. Don't give up, I'm glad I didn't after my first three day battle with tongue bite over a crap pipe and train puffing.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. pipeherman

pipeherman

Login to Send PM

As a moist smoker myself it took time to get the technique right. Now I have reached the stage in which I can clench all my pipes in my mouth without getting the tobacco wet and dribbling down the stem of my pipe. Keep it up, and do what the others suggest, look at different techniques of smoking.etc. I also concur with BryanF on the peterson system.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. henryp

henryp

Login to Send PM

There is something like a coriolis force ( but not that) that draws saliva into the stem as you smoke. The harder you draw the harder that force draws what's in your mouth into the stem. Smoking easier, slower will probably improve your experience.

good luck!

The Whole Problem with the World is Fools and Fanatics are so certain of themselves, and Wiser People so Full of Doubts - Bertrand Russell
    Posted 5 years ago #
  17. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you're letting them rest enough, then I have to agree with Bigvan:

I hate to break it to you, Eastern, but it's you. Pack better, smoke slower, practice, practice, practice.

Even if you've been smoking a while, it pays to revisit the basics. I had to do this myself. For a while I was doing fine, then regressed. I was rushing too much, not paying attention, etc. It takes a while for good habits to really set in to the point where you no longer have to think about it.

Good luck - hope you keep at it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. andrew

Andy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm only 8 hours from you, similar humidity, your tobacco is probably too wet. This was the last part of the technique to get down, maintaining the proper moisture level. I don't even really get gurgling now. doesn't matter what pipe I'm smoking, if it's my medico briar or my peterson, once you have the technique down pretty much any pipe will do. Plus pack on the looser side, if you aren't getting a draw similar to sipping through a coffee straw, it's too tight.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. zekest

zekest

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

[/quote]Plus pack on the looser side, if you aren't getting a draw similar to sipping through a coffee straw, it's too tight.[quote]

Who drinks coffee with a straw?

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

If you're letting them rest enough, then I have to agree with Bigvan

+1. Also, high humidity is such a huge issue that many pipe smoker flat out refuse to smoke their pipes until the humidity drops.

Posted 5 years ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Plus pack on the looser side, if you aren't getting a draw similar to sipping through a coffee straw, it's too tight.

Who drinks coffee with a straw?

Dunno where you live, Zekest, but in many places here in the USA and Canada, a coffee straw is a thin red plastic straw used to stir coffee. The stirrer's tube is quite narrow, hence it would be hard to suck liquid through it, which is Andrew's analogy.

Another analogy of this is the one that states the resistance of the pipe's draw should be analogous to sipping soda through a straw; if the draw is tighter and more like sipping a milkshake through a straw, the pack is too tight.

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. nhbard

nhbard

Login to Send PM

Another new smoker here. I found the advice given here interesting, but confusing based on my own experience. I had a heck of a time getting and staying lit until I did the opposite of what is said here (caveat later - keep reading).

When I packed very tight and puffed "like a train" it worked. Most other things did not. This was yesterday. Once I got it to stay lit, I could sip it a bit rather than puff, but I still had to give it the occasional puff.

Caveat: The only other difference I did yesterday was I filled the bowl almost completely. Prior to that I would half fill or less. Don't know if that had any effect. But still - you recommend a loose pack?

Posted 5 years ago #
  23. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Even if you've been smoking a while, it pays to revisit the basics.

This. When I was unemployed and smoking two bowls a day, my packing and technique improved a lot. Then I got a job, and I'm only smoking on the weekends - and sometimes, not even then. I also had some initial problems with moisture - some of which was a matter of drying tobacco and smoking drier blends, but some of which was as result of salivating. I would sometimes practice clenching indoors with an empty pipe, and I noticed that I was salivating a lot. As a result, I spent a fair amount of time holding my pipe in my hand so as not to drool down the stem, and it's only recently that I've gotten back to clenching. The salivation issue seems to have solved itself in the meantime, but if I feel a bit drooly, I'll just hold the pipe for that session and try clenching again later. My suspicion (in my case) is that since I'm drying out my mouth with heat and smoke, my salivary glands overcompensate.

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  24. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

You definitely have some high quality pipes so it is definitely the technique. Also packing too loosely will lead to a hotter smoke and it will be tougher to keep it lit which will make you draw harder and create too much moisture. You probably would not believe how tight I pack my bowls and I get a cool dry burn every time. The moisture of the tobacco could be an issue so let me know what types of blends you are working with. You want to have some pretty good resistance before you light up so check your draw.

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  25. erinrigh

erinrigh

Login to Send PM

I definitely agree with cigrmaster, a loose bowl results in a hotter smoke, that is harder to keep lit and causes dreaded tongue bite if you don't know how to smoke like that. A tighter bowl results in a cooler smoke allowing for more puffing w/o tongue bite. Other advice is very sound, about technique, but i don't think the quality of pipe makes a difference, I have pipes ranging from 2 dollar mini cobs to a 400 dollar hand carved white oak churchwarden, and i can get a good smoke out of all of them. Granted i live in a semi-desert with low humidity. I would need to know more of your technique, but i can suggest, get a couple of cobs and pack 2 half bowls until you get the proper technique down.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. 05venturer

05venturer

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am going with technique also eastern
    Since I am quite sure we are less than 100 miles apart I do not believe climate to be the issue. I had a lot of the same issues you speak of but as everyone here says "patience" is the key. Especially if the cob I sent you didn't help at all that is amazing as they are very forgiving most times. Keep on puffing and don't let it get to ya too bad. "This Too Shall Pass"

Kent

Posted 5 years ago #
  27. ammohouse

ammohouse

Login to Send PM

[code]Very good info to all us newcomers. I have some of the same issue at times. I do enjoy pipes and will learn it, it just takes time I guess.

USAF AMMO RETIRED
    Posted 5 years ago #
  28. robertsonpoblete

robertsonpoblete

Login to Send PM

I am also a beginner.

May I ask, what's the difference between puffing and sipping? And how should we smoke pipe, puffing or sipping?

Posted 5 years ago #
  29. hammerhorror

hammerhorror

Login to Send PM

Relatively new piper here. I managed to clear up a lot of my moisture problems when I realized that I was exhaling back down the stem of my pipe, thus blowing moisture to the bowl. After I trained myself to exhale out the corner of my mouth, things got a lot better. I know, pretty basic, but you may as well check for everything.

Posted 5 years ago #
  30. easterntraveler

easterntraveler

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

First, thank you for all the replies. To answer a few questions I do not believe it’s the dryness of the tobacco. I have had this problem with super dry tobacco. However the tobaccos I am working with are Dunhill Royal Yacht, ODF and G.L. Pease Montgomery. I have this problem inside at the cigar shop so the humidity I do not believe is an issue. I could see it being a sipping and puffing issue. I do not quite understand the difference. I will work on my packing issues and update again.

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. erinrigh

erinrigh

Login to Send PM

Sipping your pipe is a gentle pull letting the smoke pool in your mouth slowly and pulling a little harder on occasion to keep the pipe lit. Puffing is a series of more rapid, harder pulls on the pipe creating puffs of smoke like a smoke signal. Sipping results in a cooler smoke, though it can increase humidity. Puffing creates a hotter, drier smoke, but has the problem of exhalation into the stem of the pipe, which creates drool in the pipe if you are not careful. The other thing to mention is aromatics vs. non-aromatics. Aromatic tobaccos are heavily flavored and often burn considerably wetter, so even though the tobaccos "taste" better, i recommend staying away from them until you get your technique down. You can't get much better tobacco than Dunhill so i doubt the tobacco is the issue, and as 05venturer is less than 100 miles from you, I doubt it is the humidity. Try spipping at your pipe more and taking it out of your mouth if you build up too much saliva, you will probably have to relight often. Aside from that, what people were not saying about the Peterson system is that the P-lip is designed for sipping and it's hard to do otherwise, so a Peterson P-lip might help your technique.

Smoke em if you got em!
    Erin

Posted 5 years ago #
  32. txbeerboy

txbeerboy

Login to Send PM

The pipe cleaner will always feel a little damp after smoking a pipe some. Cobs and briars it makes no difference. Nor will the blend matter. If your pipe makes a little noise run the pipe cleaner down it if not just keep sipping. My pipe cleaners always feel damp to the touch if they don't they are not needed.

Posted 5 years ago #
  33. undecagon

undecagon

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yea, I've missed some of the remarks here, and it's about time to head home - but based on what Txbeerboy is saying, I'll double that the cleaner should be wet. That's the point of the thing! All the gunk that builds up in there is going to be moist (unless it dries out and then you need to ream down and drill out the insides, but that's no good). So keep using the cleaners, and the moister they come out the cleaner the pipe is left!

"I said NO camels, that's FIVE camels...can't you count?!"
    AJHvibes.com
    Posted 5 years ago #
  34. av8scuba

av8scuba

Login to Send PM

Please don't give up. It took me almost 6 months to get rid of the moisture problem. It happened almost overnight though. I finally got my brain to sip instead of puff. My wet bowls and gurgling have now disappeared and my bowls all go down to just ash. And I'm smoking the same pipe and tobacco as before.

I found that the harder I tried the worse I got. Just keep at it and try to enjoy the pipe and tobacco. That is what it is all about. It will come in time.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   doug535, lawdawg, mso489, jaytex969, milehighpiper, jeff540, the85boro, haparnold, cigrmaster, disinformatique, kylef, burleyboy