PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
I'm having a terrible time with a specific pipe.
It's a Lorenzo New Era Billiard. It's big, thick, with a giant stem. It's not a nice pipe, actually. But it's a matter of pride.
It gives me hell just to get it lit. Then, I have to really puff to get something. If I sip, the pipe just laughts at me.

It comes with a silly stinger. I've even tried to smoke it with the stupid thingie.
Any hints, before I give up on her?

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
It has a nice draw when empty, just not very open. You have to really draw to make it whistle.
This is the offender: http://www.smspipes.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.viewProduct&productId=82&catId=187

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Make absolutely sure that it isn't obstructed. It's amazing how badly lint from a pipe cleaner can obstruct airflow. Try taking off the stem and blow through both the shank and the stem. With most pipes, it will be easier to blow through the shank than the stem, but it shouldn't be night and day.
Sometimes, it's just rotten engineering. I was recently frustrated by my Missouri Meerschaum Dagner Poker. Normally, MM pipes are very open designs, which is one reason they smoke very well. The MM Cob Dagner poker was fine through the shank, but the saddle bit was very restricted. I opened up the smoke channel on the bit with a tapered drill and a special file. It's an amazing difference in smoking quality.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
How did you come by this pipe you so obviously find wanting in looks? I don't buy pipes to fight with them. If they do not deliver a great smoke in a short period of time, I trash 'em. I won't pass a poor smoking pipe on to another smoker.
Many smokers get great smokes from pipes with stingers.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
As I've stated in other thread, I'm from a small town in Argentina. Options are very, very limited here. And there's no B&M.

It looked good in the online store.
Here's some pictures of the inside of the shank, stem and the stinger/adapter thingie.
dS2G2yF.jpg

U4lFhXm.jpg

ktI9gzN.jpg

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Spot on Duane.

I packed loose, way looser than usual, and it improved considerably.
Thank you master.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Very welcome my friend. Always pack looser than you think necessary as you can always adjust the tightness of the pack with the tamper as you smoke.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Excellent advice chasing

I had problems with some of my old british pipes that have smallish drillings until I learnt to pack looser in them

Status
Not open for further replies.