Problem with my cobs, not sure what to do.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoker49

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2012
I had some replacement stems for my MMcobs come in today from SmokingPipes. I have the Legend model cobs, and I bought the filter type replacement stems. They don't fit. And as far as I can see, it's not just a small mismatch, they aren't going to fit without some sort of modification. What is going on?
I naively thought that if I froze the cob bowls, that the wood might shrink and I could get the stems to fit. No dice. Should I sand the plastic tenon down? Send the stems back and order some new cobs? Do these stems always need some modification to fit?

smoker49

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2012
I think so. I ordered these....
http://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product_ID=110366
To fit this...
http://www.corncobpipe.com/product.php?productid=16142&cat=266&page=1
Filtered stem fits filtered pipe, right? Or are there different sizes of filtered stems?

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
If you took the stems off of your cobs, while waiting for the new ones to arive, the shank has probably shrunk. It is a common thing, I find when I clean my cobs. Put your old stems back on and smoke a bowl or 2. Then put your new stems on right away.

smoker49

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2012
My cobs are all straights. I didn't have the old stems out for more than 30 minutes. Is that enough time for them to shrink? Yikes.

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
nsfisher nailed it. after you get the new stems most of the way in you may still have to smoke a couple pipefulls to get them to seat all the way correctly.
good luck,

Gary

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
My cobs are all straights. I didn't have the old stems out for more than 30 minutes. Is that enough time for them to shrink? Yikes
I took a stem out, ran a pipe cleaner with Deniclean up the shank, tried to put the stem back in, and it wouldn't fit. The stem was out for about 1-2 minutes. o.O I can certainly believe a half hour can change things. I think cobs are finicky.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Sand them to fit, slowly with much checking for fit. You will be a qualified stem tech after that..

smoker49

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2012
Wow, I had no idea how unstable the cheap wood in MMcobs was. Lesson learned; old stem out, new stem in immediately.

jaywellington

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2012
Athens, Greece
I had a similar problem, mostly what Bulldog Mick said!

Now the problem is over (after a day the cobs dried and I can fit the bits!).
AND
Wow, I had no idea how unstable the cheap wood in MMcobs was. Lesson learned; old stem out, new stem in immediately.
Not only that, I also don't like the ink print they have to imitate the looks of the cob's texture! Why do that? I would still buy them if the wood was plain wood!

smoker49

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2012
Not only that, I also don't like the ink print they have to imitate the looks of the cob's texture! Why do that? I would still buy them if the wood was plain wood!
But then how would you tell your high-end cobs from your standard level cobs?

smoker49

Might Stick Around
Sep 26, 2012
The Legend has an amber stem. You ordered the black stem. Not the same stem. You need this.
The amber filtered stem and the black filtered stem are interchangeable according to Missouri Meerschaum's website. I ordered black because amber was out of stock. I already tried putting my old amber stems back in the bowls, and they don't fit either.

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
I just tried putting the black stem from my "Pride" into my "Legend"...No dice, it's way bigger than the amber...

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Their site also says the Danish bits are compatible with any filter pipe and I haven’t found that to be the case at all. I’m not one to immediately give up on a good cob. I would try a few simple things to see if you can get the pipes to accept the new bits, but I probably wouldn’t spend hours working on them.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
I use their new Danish bits for all my cobs. And yes, sometimes you do have to sand the tendons a little, since burrs can be left from the molding process.

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
cobs are cheap, so dont worry, and you all ready got the new stems. Id just work on the fit until they fit good and smoke them.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
I use their new Danish bits for all my cobs. And yes, sometimes you do have to sand the tendons a little, since burrs can be left from the molding process.
Really?!?! I found the Danish bits to be way too loose in most of my cobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.