banner

Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

(Probably) My Last Dunhill PAD

(12 posts)
  1. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I went by my B&M today and bought out their last remaining Dunhill stock (about a dozen tins), minus a couple tins of Durbar (I've never had it, so why get into it now?). The owner gave me a good discount, so I sprung for it.

Why did I do it? I don't know. I'm not a Dunhill-phile, and none of their blends are my favorite in their respective genre. I guess it's mostly nostalgia- mainly I just hate the idea of not having any Dunhill laying around.

Anybody else have similar feelings? Dunhill has been such an institution for so long, I can't help but ascribe a certain value to it. I know the blends have changed over the years, and many of them are pretty average now, but goshdarnit, they just have a special place in my cellar.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 8 months ago #
  2. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hap, that's TAD, not PAD. TAD is tobacco, PAD is pipes (Acquisition Disorder is the AD in either case). Well, good for you. You're set for months or years, depending on how often you open the tins. Congratulations.

Posted 8 months ago #
  3. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

Doggone it, MSO, you're right! My brain said TAD, but my fingers had other ideas.

Posted 8 months ago #
  4. seanv

seanv

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sell it all if you’re not going to smoke it. I’ll buy the three year Virginia tins

Posted 8 months ago #
  5. tavol

tavol

Login to Send PM

It sad when blenders go, particularly ones so iconic as Dunhill but I guess it's just a sign of the times. IMO most of Dunhill's blends are solid smokes maybe not the best in their genre but good smokes that are always available.

I'll miss flake and navy rolls, I might be well stocked on both but nice to think I could always buy a tin if I needed too.

Posted 8 months ago #
  6. pipesticks

pipesticks

Login to Send PM

I doubt I'll miss Dunhill. I got enough to last me till I'm dead

Posted 8 months ago #
  7. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Same. My Elizabethan stockpile will likely outlive me.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 8 months ago #
  8. civilwar

civilwar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Likewise, I bought enough to last my lifetime - seemed like the thing to do at the time - I guess that's TAD

Posted 8 months ago #
  9. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ahh TAD strikes again - why buy one tin if you can just buy them all?

As others have said in other threads, even if you don't like Dunhill blends you can easily recoup your money in the next few years from their sales.

Posted 8 months ago #
  10. dochudson

dochudson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Remember the good old days when you could buy 2 or 3 tins and get one free of Dunhill? I'm deep enough on Nightcap, Navy Rolls and Royal Yacht that my grandkids will have a lifetime supply.

I Enjoy Aromatics
    I Enjoy Peterson Pipes
    Posted 8 months ago #
  11. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

I'll miss Dunhill as an icon and mainstay of the pipe world. I did buy five pounds of Nightcap to cellar in mason jars, plus a few tins so I won't miss the tin art. I like to use tins to dry out a few bowls of tobacco at a time, so I do "reuse" the tins so to speak, and I will be glad to have some, even if its just goofy nostalgia.

That being said, as many have pointed out in other threads, Dunhill is no longer what it once was anyhow, there are better blends still on the market, and spilled milk and all that.

Posted 8 months ago #
  12. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Quite right, dog! And flogging deceased equines.....

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 8 months ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   sablebrush52, anthonyrosenthal74, ryeguy, georged, hauntedmyst, elasmo, ajohnb, olkofri, ashdigger, chilllucky, ricebiscuit