PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
I've been thinking and I'd like to hear your guys oppinion on how difficult would it be to start your own tobacco line?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Love of pipes and tobacco blends is a start, but far more important are a substantial business sense which might dissuade you in the first place, a real depth of knowledge about tobaccos, and some particular sense of a marketing niche that would carry you past almost certain failure. It would take a set of specific talents and just raw luck. My advice? Enjoy your tobacco and don't do it.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Do what you love and the money will follow as long as you're not assuming the money will follow.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I'd say the barriers to entry would be pretty significant in this sort of thing. Lots of regulatory hoops to jump through, lots of infrastructure you'd need to produce at any reasonable level of output, and HUGE investment in dried leaves and infrastructure to get things off the ground.
My guess would be this sort of thing only works if you've been blending at home for you and your friends with raw leaf for years, and then slowly ramp things up. Or if you worked at/owned an established B&M and started retailing your house blends.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I'd totally go for it! You'll need money (a lot), a forgiving climate, land (a lot), farming skills (lots), business know-how stuff - like setting up a production line, sourcing stuff, getting permits, making deals with suppliers, buyers, marketing etc, and time on your hands (a lot).

Do it!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
You're 30 to 40 years too late. Might as well open a Pool Hall or a Cigar/Pipe Shop. Generally speaking, trying to start a business in a declining market is a recipe for bankruptcy.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I just want the job of naming them. Someone out there got paid to come up with Exhausted Rooster. My job now seems exceedingly mundane in comparison.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
What country do you reside in?

If it's the US, you need to do some basic research before you go one inch further with the idea.

The US FDA has essentially blocked any new blends from the market. You can remarket old blends (new name, different cut, different leaf source, different processing) but if you have no old blends, then you are dead in the water.

spartacus

Lifer
Nov 7, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
There are so many obstacles to overcome to have your own successful business. I don't think I would start a business in an industry that is highly over-regulated and heavily taxed by the government. It is only going to get worse as time goes on. The chances of you changing that aspect of it and swaying public opinion is highly unlikely.

Jan 8, 2013
Unless you have the ridiculous amount of money you would have to pay the FDA to approve of just one blend, I'd say forget it. But if you enjoy blending, you can still create blends for yourself and friends... perhaps even trade. But retail of tobacco products, sadly, is not a good business venture at this time. Blending, unless you're already an established blender with pre-2007 blends, will simply become a secondary hobby among pipe smokers. Despite all that, blend away. I blend a few of my own and I enjoy it.

I've not really tried to start my own line of tobaccos, but I do grow my own tobacco. First off, if you are wanting to do this to make money, well... that's just silly. First off the market for pipe tobacco is teeny tiny... for non-aromatic pipe tobacco, then your in the microcosm of that teeny tiny. These forums give the illusion of grandeur, but really, it's just an illusion. You might as well market to left-handed transgender pirates that only live in Detroit.
But, if you just want to create something for yourself, then that is more reasonable. I grow my own, so that I can experience the pleasure of smoking something that I know is pesticide free, all natural, and where I can reminisce over starting the seeds and picking off all of the hornworms by hand while smoking it. Just a self-indulgent pleasure.
But, acreage to product costs aside, you really can't make much money off of growing. You can actually make more money off of tomatoes. But, if you are wanting to purchase leaf and process it, or have it processed so that you can resale it, then you have a huge wall of government red tape, licensing, product testing, and a team of lawyers to deal with.
I predict that in 20 years there will be no more tobacco on the retail market. It's just how society is swinging. When i was in North Carolina for a funeral a couple of weeks ago, I talked to a cousin who was in the process of getting his licencing to grow industrial hemp instead of tobacco, because he wasn't making a dime on tobacco. However, I do foresee a possible future where, one day, people will grow their own and trade amongst themselves. We might think about doing something along those lines. Moonshine tobacco trades. Since it is illegal, ::cough cough:: I wouldn't be interested in doing anything like that ::cough cough:: But, one day... it might just be worth knowing how to grow and process your own. Growing it for yourself, is perfectly legal. You just cannot sell, trade or give away any of your product. ::cough cough:: I really need to go to the doctor about this cough. :puffy:

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Someone out there got paid to come up with Exhausted Rooster. My job now seems exceedingly mundane in comparison.
Shanez, I saw that & my absolute first thought was "an Elk is never forgotten, never forsaken." Been a long time since I had the company of Exhausted Roos, er, Exalted Rulers. :)
Easy, I use propane: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/cob-mods
Frozen, I can't TELL you the enormity of the laugh I got from that one...... :)
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.