PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pro sports are a business first, so it behooves owners, players, and broadcasters to extend the seasons as long as spectators on media or in person, and advertisers will pay to watch or to advertise. As a side issue, major league baseball is conjuring with a way to shorten games to make them more watchable for fans. But are the seasons themselves too long, as they extend into seasons of other sports and lose viewership as the team fan bases winnow away? Playoffs go on for weeks or months. Too much of a good thing, or whatever the market will bear? Is is good for particular sports, or not?

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Funny thing -- I hear people complain about football season, basketball season, etc., but one thing I can't think I've ever heard gripes about is hockey, yet it goes longer than nearly all of them. And the Stanley Cup playoffs go for nearly two MONTHS! Figure that one.

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Funny thing -- I hear people complain about football season, basketball season, etc., but one thing I can't think I've ever heard gripes about is hockey, yet it goes longer than nearly all of them. And the Stanley Cup playoffs go for nearly two MONTHS! Figure that one.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
No league is too long for me. I am a sports junky and watch NFL,NBA,NHL,MLB,Golf,Tennis, Olympics,Xgames.World Cup Skiing. I live for my sports.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
As everyone knows, the college football season always seems way too short. On the other hand, baseball has forgotten that they are a summer sport and are now playing the World Series in late October. That seems to be dragging things out a bit. Then there is the NBA. The NBA playoffs are the true definition of eternity. :-D
Cheers,
Chili

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I'm good with everything but would like to see the IndyCar season extended by a week on either end of the season, NFL to cut a preseason game in exchange for a 17 game regular season, and college football to add a weekend of playoff games that would extend it to 8 teams.

Jan 8, 2013
As a side issue, major league baseball is conjuring with a way to shorten games to make them more watchable for fans.
It would probably cause the opposite. One of the great things about baseball, is that a 9 inning game can last anywhere from an hour (shortest game in MLB history was 51 minutes) to four hours (longest 9 inning game). Of course extra innings for overtime can bring a game to over 8 hours. But that's baseball! It's not about how fast the game is won. It's about HOW the game is won. To shorten the game, you'd have to set a time limit per inning... and that's just not baseball. Might as well rename it then, because the tradition of the sport will have been walked all over.

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
I'm a bit of a baseball junkie, but I have to admit. In every Sport, the seasons could be shorter (for Football, preseason should be cut) - AND you could easily get rid of 1/4 of the teams in every league. So much mediocrity with some of these last place teams... You could cut them out - most fans wouldn't even know they were gone.

Jan 8, 2013
Nascar is a long sport too, beginning in February and ending in late November... that's a hell of a lot of left turns. But I wouldn't have it any other way :) Except I would opt for more road courses. They are indeed fun to watch and a nice breakaway from the normal oval track.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I love most sports, and I don't think the seasons are too long. I believe football is too short. I also enjoy the fact that baseball is played 5-6 times a week, because of my schedule, being gone 4 times a week.
I do believe the fact that they get paid more than the president, and doctors, etc is absurd.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Hockey has been stretched too far (NHL), with the Stanley Cup finals in early to mid June. The NHL runs from October to June, too long. I really only tune in around December, as the NFL is winding down.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
No league is too long for me. I am a sports junky and watch NFL,NBA,NHL,MLB,Golf,Tennis, Olympics,Xgames.World Cup Skiing. I live for my sports.
In addition to the above, European Football (soccer) takes some of my time, especially the English Premier League. Then there's lacrosse, mostly college, as the pro teams don't seem to jell. There's the occasional rugger match I'll watch. Don't forget Formula 1!! I'll watch curling in the olympics, and recently found the uniforms on women in college track meets alluring, hurdle relay especially.

America's Cup sailing gets watched every minute, as do other international sailing meets.
Baseball season is too long, but it was just right when my team was winning.
Only thing I won't watch is NASCAR and bowling.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I would watch hockey every day for the rest of my life. I think football season is the perfect length, except NCAA should be one week longer (a third round of the playoff to incorporate 8 teams).
To me baseball is an unwatchable giant board game, so no opinion on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.