PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
One thing that I hate about professional football is the lack of parity amongst the teams. If you finish last tor next to last you should get the pics in the draft with NO or trading to other teams with large financial resources. Jacksonville and Tampa Bay and other fans deserve to see their teams become playoff bound rather than wallow in obscurity.
Agree?

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Nope, I don't agree. Bad teams do get the top picks. If they trade them away that's their problem. I suggest you address this with ownership. They own the business, they can run it as they see fit.
I think the issue is really at the GM/coaching level in how a team is put together. A few top draft picks aren't going to help a team if the rest of the roster is crap. How many top draft picks have we all seen entrenched on bad teams and they don't succeed until they finally hit free agency and bail out to a contender.
The issue runs deeper than retaining a few draft picks.
Dave :puffy:

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Seahawks won a superbowl having squandered a good many top round draft picks AND poor choices in prime WR...
It is ALL GM/Coach/Owner (with blame weighted to each position depending what what team we are talking about) dependant.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It takes a while for some teams to learn that draft and nurture is the proper way to develop a good team. The cap and spending too much for too little on free agents is the down fall of many teams. Too many teams do not have the patience to develop players. Every team needs to stay "young" and know when to get rid of talent that is going down hill. Actually, to be fair, the fans have no patience with "draft and develop," they want a Super Bowl and they want it NOW! Many teams succumb to that mentality in an effort to keep the fans in the seats and buying jerseys and hats. Teams which abuse the cap will always pay a penalty in the future.
wyfbane: Good WRs are a dime a dozen in the draft. No team should ever waste a first or second round pick on a WR. My God, they're everywhere!

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Of course they are. That is why I leveled that charge at the Seahawks.
I mean spending tons on Nate Burleson, Tons on Houshmanzada, then Tons on Sidney Rice, Then Tons on Harvin. Seattle has made DISMAL decisions where prime WR's are concerned and they STILL managed to win a SB.
I am 12th man for life, but I call out dumb when I see it.
Condolences to my team for losing to KC today... QQ

prndl

Lifer
Apr 30, 2014
will say this about the pack.
their retros may be fugly, but they sure beat the steeler's "bumblebee's".

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I just ordered a Jeantet Maya. I am rather fond of the bumblebee, but I loathe the steelers due to THAT call.
Funny how the world works, gentlemen.
=D

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Ah yes, the Acme Meat Packers uniforms. Nothing flashy, just very utilitarian. I proudly admit to owning one full, voting share in the team. I am debating with myself as to attending the annual meeting. Shareholders are allowed the dubious freedom to purchase highly-over priced Packer items not available to the more plebeian fans.
"That Call" Did he or didn't he?

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
Warren, I remember watching Paul Hornung run crazy back in the 60's. However, I was always a Cleveland Brown, Jim Brown fan. Those were the days when there were no ego's on the field and players played for the love of the game. They were lucky if they made $10,000 a year.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Your Monday night one? I think it was ambiguous enough to go either way.
The Superbowl call with PIT vs. SEA has already been proven to be a bad call.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I beg to differ, gently of course. I think impatient owners and, to a degree, impatient fans are to blame. Owners want immediate results so they can strut. Fans want it so they can feel good about themselves and their city and brag. GMs are under tremendous pressure to deliver.
I have a cousin who is a Bears man. He said the Green Bay fans commiserated with him at the game as the score went up and up. In no other NFL city would that happen. Makes one proud to be a Packer fan and a minor, very minor, shareholder.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This could be debated all year. Baseball has had its World Series franchises, which are enlivening for

the cities that claim those teams, but deadening for the rest of the Leagues. There are many factors

in baseball's lose of fan base. (I still love to watch.) But the infrequency with which some teams in

major cities win the pennant may not help. So with football. The big boys may muscle themselves

out of an audience.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It's probably smarter for teams with a top five pick to trade it away. You could probably pick up a couple of decent linemen for that kind of pick and it'd help your team a lot more than just drafting that unproven college stud.
This is one place I think hockey really has a leg up on football. Hockey has the AHL and the ECHL to help kids develop. They get time to develop their talents at a higher level than college/juniors when they're not quite ready for the NHL. It's a big reason for teams like Detroit, Boston, Chicago, and LA's successes and it's helped the league to keep increasing the talent and level of play in the league year after year.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
There was a time in the NHL that they would sign 12 and 13 year olds. And those teams owned the kid until he was either traded or quit the game. Of course that was when hockey was played in the north, as God intended! Now they have more teams than quality players, even counting the Russians, Finns and other assorted Europeans.
Green Bay? One of the big boys? Little ol' Green Bay?

Status
Not open for further replies.