PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
Can somebody explain about private label pipes, please?

I'm assuming they are some sort of limited edition for club members.

Thank you, in advance.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There are different kinds of private labels. Some tobacconists order pipes from a maker and have their store name stamped on them. Several examples that come to mind are Rattray, Bewlay, and Ehrlich, though Ehrlich also made some of their pipes. Organizations, like P&T, commission a limited edition run of pipes.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Savinelli? You can have one for about $80:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/pipes/66554/savinelli-private-label-pipes/

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
I think what you're referring to are pipes made by name brand factories for tobacconists. For instance, Astley's, a now gone English tobacconist would order pipes from, say the Charatan factory. These pipes would be Charatan shapes and would have the stampings of a Charatan but where it would normally say "Charatan" these pipes would say Astley's. There are many examples. Iwan Reis, Perettis, The Tinder Box, Barling.
Mike S.

darthcider

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 24, 2014
Wales
I have been looking at a Radford's on eBay.

I read they are made by Chacom for the German market, would that qualify?

Thanks for the speedy response.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
There are many examples. Iwan Reis, Perettis, The Tinder Box, Barling.
With Barling, that would be after Imperial closed the factories in 1968. Imperial ordered pipes from Charatan and the Ogden group and later contracted with Nording. Today you can find "Barling" pipe that are made by Peterson.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a Tinder Box St. Ives, probably Chapuis-Comoy, my first pipe, and three Iwan Ries made by Benton.

At one time I had a L.L. Bean probably by Dr. Grabow. I sent for a big bowled Iwan Ries bent billiard which

was stamped "Italy," but had no Iwan Ries stamp and may have been made by Savenelli. Usually these pipes

are quality smokers, although only journeyman grade briars, because the shops that commissioned them wanted

them to win people to pipe smoking. Right now, Iwan Ries online has all their house pipes out of stock; I'm curious

and may call and see what's happening there. They may be changing contractors, or Benton may be having a

production problem, or something else i cannot guess.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
This thread inspired me to dig a little deeper to discover who manufactured my Sillam pipe. It took a great deal of time and effort between the online research and exchanged emails. What unlocked this mystery in the end however was reading the top of the box where it cryptically signified it's manufacturer "Savinneli". My skills in deductive reasoning can't be denied ;)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
With regard to Barling, many tobacconists had their names stamped on pipes in England.
Right, though Barling also stamped their logo on those pipes as well after 1912. Barling, along with Charatan, and one other company, made pipes for Bewlay that were only stamped with the Bewlay stamp. Barling also made pipes for Rattray's.
MM Imports had pipes made for them by Sasieni and also Dunhill as they were Dunhill's importer in the 1920's.
Sears had pipes made for them by Gasparini, Charatan made pipes for Disneyland, etc, etc.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
C.B. Perkins of Massachusetts would be another example. I have a Perkins Supreme with the Made in London, England stamping used by Comoy's. The grain is not as good as that of a Blue Riband, but the staining appears darn similar. It is possible, though, that this is simply a Codogan pipe, as Codogan seems to have appropriated that Comoy's stamping for other brands under their ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.