Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Just thought to bring my recent observations to your consideration, did some of you happen to notice that most all small bowled(apple and that of reminiscent of Buldog shape but smaller)are becoming a pretty unpopular in our days and are getting harder to find,primarly I see those straight long and lean profiled little pipes are coming mostly from French manufacturers such as Ropp-France,occasionally Savinelli have makin them prince shaped apple bowled billiard pipes as well.

Just recently had me that of Peterson 407(yes,overpriced)Shannon from smokingpipes.com after quite a time of searching online,here in europe found none exept for Killarnay high polished the lineup, which I do not mind after having not too good experience with one of from this Petes serie.Yet even British based retailers told me they do not know

when they'll get them(407)restocked if ever,saying the lead time can be anywhere from few weeks to a year.assumably the Peterson manufacturers is quite a tricky to cooperate with,and now I'm glad aforementioned U.S based retailer could help me out with this problem.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not aware that the prince shape is unpopular. Dunhill seems to feature the shape as much as ever. Savenelli and its sub-brand Rossi offer them on a regular basis; see the Sav Prince of Wales, for one example. The Rossi unfiltered low-priced line for another. The Dr. Grabow Royalton apple looks more prince than apple to me. And so on. I'd say the prince is one of the current oft-produced shapes. Or so it seems to me.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I love the prince / apple shape. Especially in the smaller French styling of companies such as Ropp, Sebastian Beo and Chacom.
20150512_171104-600x337.jpg

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I like Prince shapes too. I see them a lot, so I agree with mso. They are out there. They just don't get the vocal love that the Authors do, I think.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Yep, that's why I do need a prince, for just ribbon cut blends, although as usual these smaller chambered ones tend to burn a bit hotter,but it obvious,yet Mr Northernail got just nice collection of classic princes,I have a pretty much similar ones, Chacom and pete

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
@Northernneil those are great. What is the make of the rusticated one in the middle?
Here is mine, more of an apple than a prince. It is a Chacom. I would get a prince if I could find one small enough. I think I saw a Luciano once that came close.

chacom-0116-600x448.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I enjoy having a variety of classic shapes. Different makers offer nuanced interpretations, but a classic shape can usually be contained within a name and still have differences that make it unique.

I picked up a cheap lot of pipes and stummels on ebay last year. I'd put a low ball bid in just because of a Barlings stummel and was surprised with a couple of very smokeable estates including this no name Prince, which when averaged into the cost of the lot, cost me less than $4.00 (!)

Prince
dsc00486-600x450.jpg

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Prettty nice classic shapes both Mr Newbrooms and Sallows, My favorite princes are those of Dunhill, Peterson 407 and just recently found me a Chacom elite 332 then I came across this Savinelli petit serie,very attractive line up too+$100-but not now,

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
@Sallow, that is my L'Antra. It is a beefy pipe for sure. A bit heavy for clenching, but amazingly comfortable in the hand.
I really like your Chacom Apple by the way. Chacom is one of my favorite manufacturers for quality and price point.

Status
Not open for further replies.