PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Mentioned this briefly in my new member intro post, but since there's a specific place for it, here goes...
My first experience at Prince Phillip's was overwhelmingly positive. They have a smoking lounge near the back, and their ventilation system doesn't quite erase all of the secondhand smoke odor, but the main scents are the pipe and cigar odors that are much more pleasant. The sales folk left me alone to wander for a while as I looked over the racks of pipes for sale and checked out the bulk tobacco bar, and just about the time I thought maybe I should ask for some help, one of them (Brian, I think his name was) appeared at my elbow to see if I needed anything.
I explained that I was a complete novice, but had developed an interest in learning to smoke a pipe. Brian invited me to handle the pipes and steered me toward the section matching my price point, and then said to come grab him once I'd made a selection and we could talk about tobacco. I checked several styles, and eventually settled on a Viking Classic sitter - it was one of the few that actually "sat" when empty. Then I wandered over to the bulk tobacco, where another sales person (the daughter of the owners, I later found out, though I can't recall her name) gave me a copy of their blend list (with mail order options, etc.) and started in on descriptions of the various blends. Brian joined us about four descriptions in, and after the three of us discussed our various tastes in music, beer, and Scotch, they recommended a couple of aromatics as starter blends, invited me to fill up my soon-to-be-purchased pipe with something to test, and then left me to make my decision. I rejoined them at the accessories counter, where they produced the ubiquitous Czech pipe tool, an IMCO G55 lighter, and a bundle of pipe cleaners. After a few pointers about packing and lighting, I made my purchase and finished off what turned out to be a very lightly packed partial bowl.
Will definitely be going back - they've got a blend called "Jamaican Rum" that sounds perfect for the Caribbean Cruise my pipe-smoking friend and our respective spouses will be going on next year. :)

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Isn't it great when you have a positive first time experience like the one you just described so well? You walked in, stated your virginity/innocence and, rather than put the hustle on you, the staff made you a valued customer.
Phred, I'm happy for you. You've found a place to hang out and smoke, learn more and more about this hobby of ours and, more importantly, they've earned your trust.
That's a huge win, friend.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
Welcome to the forum. I am glad you had an excellent experience at your local shop. It is nice to feel appreciated and respected as well as helped in a positive manner.

sdcowboy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2011
Rapid City, SD
Phred,
I've actually been to Prince Philip's and purchased pipes there. I get to Denver a couple of times a year for business. If memory serves, it is the place at Tamarack Square on Hampden Ave near I-25. It was a nice little shop that has a nice selection of pipes and tinned blends. I've purchased three Viking billiards from them. The owner is the one who introduced me to the line. He said that I wouldn't find a better pipe for the money, and he was right.

juvat270

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2011
I haven't been to Prince Philips since they moved to their new location but I'm eager to check out the new store. I liked Prince Philips and the people there were always nice. However, I thought there selection of pipes and tinned tobacco was a little weak. They do have a nice selection of bulk blends, but so far the only one I've tried is "South English".

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Sdcowboy - Yep, that's the place. I spend an inordinate amount of time at MicroCenter, the computer store in the same shopping center, so I'm in that neck of the woods relatively frequently even though I live up north, just off of I-70 and Colorado.
Juvat 270 - Yep, nice atmosphere without being totally overwhelming. We'll see how they stack up against other shops as I expand my horizons - but I can definitely recommend Prince Phillip's to newbies as a good place to get started.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I like Prince Phillips. It's pretty close to where I work so I stop in occasionally. If you ever make down to Englewood (Hampden and Broadway) Edwards is a pretty nice place as well. They have a lot of room to smoke.

deithial

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2012
Seen the place but, I used to date the manager of the pizza place right next door to the joint so I just try to avoid that whole area lol. No big loss, Edwards is closer anyways.
But, grats on the good experience there.
I keep hearing there is a nice B&M down in Colo Springs, Stag I think it's called. Think all of us natives should put together one big smoking field trip.
Haha I got it, the greater Denver Pipe smoker excursion. We hit all the B&M's in a day, buy a tin, grab a seat, puff away, then go to the next place.

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
I never knew of a B&M in that area... I live down the street from Edwards, but I work close to Prince Phillips so ill have to check it out some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.