PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I will admit, I have never tried Prince Albert. Its nicotine content is always listed as mild and that is a turn off for me unless it's aromatic in which case I mix it with 5 brothers. However, Russ's new match bled for PA called Prince Andrew was listed as having a medium nicotine content so I though I would try it.
Got to say, I really enjoy this tobacco. It has a very light topping (which I like in tobaccos) and a very full burley flavor. The price is just a bonus. I bought the 14oz tin and plan on it being the only tobacco I will take on an upcoming trip to China.
Try it!

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Prince Albert and Carter Hall are righteous American staples and in a post apocalyptic world us pipers could easily cache enough of these otc's to ride it out. Even with all the pursuit of all these La-dee-da premium blends that we/I spend so much time and money procuring it's still great to occasionally pull out a pouch, fill the pipe and enjoy some basic, tasty OTC. The longevity of these blends speaks volumes. For Russ to make up a match blend is IMO a compliment in the highest sense. I've got to get some of his match blend and give it a go.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I have never tried Prince Albert.
Well ... now you have to. A full comparative report is expected! :D
I have some of the CH match arriving this weekend.

Having smoked copious amounts of the original, I can't wait to try it! :puffy:
... the pursuit of all these La-dee-da premium blends
That made me almost spit out my coffee ... LOL! :rofl:

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Those blends are intriguing me! I wonder if they have as much poly glycol as the actual OTC blends...that's what kills it for me.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Codger blend burleys have been the backbone of my rotation. Each, although considered to be basic, has its own flavor and they all eventually taste good to me.

I started with SWR and 'progressed' to PA, CH, and Half'n Half. Whenever my tubs get below the halfway mark, I start to get anxious.

I've got a couple of the MidTowns...Andrew was first because my PA was lowest...it isn't PA, but it's a great tasting burley blend in its own right and a great addition to my Burely cellar.

The Chatham gets Jiminks nod, from what I've gleaned, as his favorite of the group. I think you'll enjoy it a lot, too, cobguy. I do. Surprise!

I'm waiting on some Chestnut and I also ordered some PS 702.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Haven't tried these (yet) but it sounds like, though these are based on the old codger blends, they are designed for the more experienced, sophisticated smoker, so may actually offer a better experience. I enjoy Prince Albert, Granger, Carter Hall, and Half and Half, but I can see that less casing, flavoring, and processing, and quality tobacco could make them decidedly better, and it sounds like P&C has done this.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Newbroom: Yes, Chatham Manor is my favorite of the Mid-Town series, chestnut being number two.
Mso489: P&C has done that! It's for the better, too.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Why is there no "codger blend" that is Virginia-Perique?
Always with the Burley...

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Chatham Manor ... I think you'll enjoy it a lot, too, cobguy.
Well, the verdict is in ... I don't care for it.
It's not really a match for CH if you've smoked A LOT of CH.
CM smoked more like an aromatic ... a huge turn-off for me.
So ... 2 oz are up for grabs. (I'd recommend that you like aro's though)
If you want a chance, pick a number between 1 and 20. First to guess right wins it! :puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
cobguy, sorry that your experience was not what you had hoped for with the Chatham Manor.

You're more experienced than I with tobacco blends, and while I concur that CM and CH are not a match, I still think that the MidTown 'knock off' is a very acceptable burley smoke.

Its hydration is not the same as CH, and its flavor is not the same either. I didn't expect it to match but rather to suggest and to that end CM is an adequate occasional substitute.

I like its blending qualities too.

As for an aromatic codger blend, I think Half and Half is the most aromatic of my current brood of burleys.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Another Russ blend on my wish list. I usually have a pouch of PA in my car. I don't smoke it everyday but it is my backup baccy. If I happen to want a change of pace from whatever blend I'm trying at the moment, I have PA as by fallback.
Pax

I think it's ironic that a premium tobacco company would make a high grade blend based on the flavors of a low grade convenience store blend. Would that be like an artisan beer company making a high quality replacement for PBR or Natural Light? ha ha.
I know, I know, these have become classics for many. I understand the appreciation for them, but I also appreciate the irony.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
cosmic, ironic it is, but probably still a good idea. There was an old budget beer in Chicago called Meisterbrau, that had a highly distinctive flavor, but kept fading into oblivion until it stopped selling it's long standard large bottle (multiple servings) and went instead entirely to cans. I don't think it is made anymore. But now that artisan beer has become a sustained trend, I keep hoping someone will rescue the brew from oblivion. It had the liveliest, hoppiest, most unique taste and it should be brought out as a specialty item for the enjoyment of beer lovers everywhere. These codger blend revivals, with less of the casing and preservatives (presumably) elevate these good old blends to a new level for the enjoyment of all.

Status
Not open for further replies.